Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 01:14 AM   #31
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I don't think Touch versus Non-touch makes sense. So many threads apply to every Sony device.

I prefer one big forum, with labels where necessary; and separate forums for Content,Troubleshooting, Accessories and uploads.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:21 AM   #32
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
This is exactly why thread prefixes will be set up. So you can quickly see if someone has tagged the thread as pertaining to a certain devices. Threads with no tag will most likely to all of the Sony devices. If the user neglected to pre-fix the thread and you feel it is device specific report the post/thread and request that we add a certain prefix to it.

A lot of thought and discussion went into this.

BOb
Could the prefix tags be different colors for the different models, instead of all being red?
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:16 AM   #33
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
Could the prefix tags be different colors for the different models, instead of all being red?
Excellent proposal! I second it.

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:43 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The primary argument against having model-specific subforums is that the overwhelming majority of posts in the Sony forums are actually dealing with issues common to all models of the Sony Reader. If you "partition" users away by the model of Sony Reader they own, there will be a natural tendency for people to only read about "their" model, and consequently, people are going to miss out on a lot of useful information as a result.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:23 AM   #35
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The primary argument against having model-specific subforums is that the overwhelming majority of posts in the Sony forums are actually dealing with issues common to all models of the Sony Reader. If you "partition" users away by the model of Sony Reader they own, there will be a natural tendency for people to only read about "their" model, and consequently, people are going to miss out on a lot of useful information as a result.
I agree. In fact I'd like to see the 500/505 forum brought into the New forum. And yes, I know that's what Alex plans to do after we see how well this one works -- assuming I understood his original post.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #36
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
We definitely need different colors just like in the flea market forum. I find reading the number in the red prefix hard on the eyes.

Different colors pleeeeaaaase.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The way to run a forum like this is to get idea from others (including your own) and then go with what's best for the forum. And just because something is setup on a way we may disagree with does not make it incorrect. Give the new setup some time and then if you don't like it, post why you don't like it and what you think would make it better. But at least with prefixes, it will be easy to move the threads if need be for some other setup.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #38
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Setting up this sort of organization is a fine line to walk: you need enough classification that things don't get lost in an overwhelming flood, but at the same time you've got to avoid having so much classification that things get lost in a bunch of little compartments.

Added to that is the need to keep whatever sections you do have relevant so that they get enough traffic to make them worth having, but at the same time not putting so much traffic through any one channel that folks have trouble following the flow.

It's very easy to get stuck in thinking that the most convenient way to organize things for my own viewing needs is also the best way in general -- it may be, but then again it very well may not.

MobileRead has done a pretty good job of walking that line in the past. Yes, there have been occasional missteps -- mistakes are part of trying to improve -- but I think that the very fact that we have so many folks in this community, of so many varied backgrounds, is pretty strong evidence that things mostly work pretty well around here, and most of that is down to Alex's experience and skill in walking that line.

Personally, I trust him to do well with these re-organizations, and to correct those things that don't work when they crop up. I know that the Moderation team is very supportive and contributive in working this stuff out, so he's got a good pool of ideas to draw on.

Two things are fairly reliable: this won't be the last forum reorganization that MobileRead undergoes, and there will always be other ways that folks would prefer to see things work. I figure the most important point is that they work, not that they work a certain way.

Comments and suggestions are very valuable, not only do they give us a measure of how the Community generally prefers things to be laid out, they also often bring up things that we have managed not to think of. However, please don't assume that no thought has gone into these decisions, I can assure you that quite a lot of thought does, indeed, go into them

Last edited by NatCh; 09-03-2009 at 11:44 AM.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #39
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I agree 100% 95%. Make just one Sony forum with prefixes for device and move Content, Troubleshooting, Accessories and Book Uploads under the single Sony section.

Thanks Alex and Mods for the great work you do!

Edit: dropped support to 95% because I don't see the need for a "legacy" forum for the 500
I agree. There is a great deal of cross over between the Readers, even between non-touch and touch devices, particularly with the Ebook Library software. In the past, I have had to search both the 700 and 505/500 forums for answers to questions I had about a problem I was experiencing. Whether the devices are new or discontinued, they still are in use and we all experience many of the same problems and have many of the same questions.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #40
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SonyPRS505,Kindle1,NokiaN810,VilivX70, SmrtQ7,JoinTechJE100,NookColor
I really like the idea of less number of sub-forums and putting all the reader models together (with the optional prefix). As a Sony Reader owner, I am very interested in newer models coming out and whether my next upgrade is going to be a Sony or not - I would still like to visit one place to get info on all the reader models.

Just my $0.02
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:51 AM   #41
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Look to the Kindle as a comparison. There was a lot of news and a lot of traffic around the Kindle 2. There was a lot about the DX. These days there are very few posts. I think that separating the posts into too many subdivisions would split lead to much to little traffic.

Similarly, I believe that the action today in the Sony Realm is quite high, but that in six months it will be much lower, and the posts will need to be gathered together to generate sufficient volume to interest readers.

Finally, I look to the plans of Astak. I think that it would be too much to consider sub-forums for all of their models. Netronix-based and Jinke-based. Some small screen, some larger. Some touch-screen and some not. Wi-fi or not?

For now, my vote would be for one larger forum for each.

MLH
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #42
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Fewer bigger forums for me

I like what you've done.

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:32 AM   #43
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
One more set of comments.

1) We have the Bookeen Cybook Gen III forum that already contains comments on the Opus. Perhaps "Bookeen" would be better?

2) The Astak EZ Reader forum's second sticky is about the Mentor line, not the EZ Reader line. Also, I recently posted a news item about a new Mentor product coming soon. The point being that this forum might be better titled Astak to contain both the EZ Reader and Mentor. Unless you plan to create an "Astak Mentor"??? They are different products from different manufacturers, but I'd think keeping them consolidated would be better.

Just my opinion -- I'm sure whatever you choose will be workable.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote