Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
srid
srid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
How to reset the Kobo to factory state?

I am returning my Kobo today (got a Kindle 2 instead). How do I reset my Kobo to factory state with the following conditions:

- Deauthorize my Kobo account
- Remote books bought from Kobo

Note that I removed the custom copied ePubs manually. I don't know about deauthorizing Adobe id. Adobe Digital Editions sucks.
srid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi, I work at Kobo.

Sorry to hear you're returning the unit. You can reset to factory from the Home screen by going into Menu > Settings > Advanced > Reset Device Now.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
dadnukumdda
dadnukumdda began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Incomplete software upgrade

How do I reset without the menu? My kobo is hung on the startup screen. The indicator bar goes to the right, then stops there. Paper clip reset brings me back to the same spot. The borders desktop app doesn't recognize the device.

The Kobo is unusable now.
dadnukumdda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnukumdda View Post
How do I reset without the menu? My kobo is hung on the startup screen. The indicator bar goes to the right, then stops there. Paper clip reset brings me back to the same spot. The borders desktop app doesn't recognize the device.

The Kobo is unusable now.
Aha! I suppose you should change to another thread, since
you tried an upgrade.
At least, post more details. Operating system, method you
used, error messages...
This kind of trouble deserves a "sticky".
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
dadnukumdda
dadnukumdda began at the beginning.

Windows XP. Exising Borders Kobo device.
On startup of the Borders Desktop, it told me there was a device software update available. I acquired the appropriate paperclip and went through the process. After telling me to reboot the device by disconnecting and resetting with the paper clip, the device restarted, went into 'installing the software mode' for about an hour. I reset the device, the start up screen came up, the status bar moves all the way to the right, and stops there. Multiple resets don't change the symptoms. The borders desktop software doesn't recognize the device.
dadnukumdda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
MattWamboldt
MattWamboldt began at the beginning.

Hi. Having the same issue. After running the update I'm at the same point. Already tried a reinstall. Assumed it was due to the fact that the kobo was low on battery power. My question is if that could be the case, and if so how do I fix it?
MattWamboldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #7
remcdonald
Connoisseur
remcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch
Hey guys,

srid sorry to hear you are returning your Kobo over this but I kind of understand...As for the others I have been dealing with this for just under a week now (since about Wednesday last week). If your problem is the same as mine and it sounds like it is then nothing will help. The only option I have recieved is to return my kobo to the factory and get a replacement which would take at least two weeks for me here in Canada. I gave the rep I got on the phone hell today about that and supposedly I'm getting a phone call tomorrow since every supervisor and tech person goes home at 5:00 (btw Sameer that's kind of silly might I suggest you guys move some people to night hours). Basically all I want to do is return mine and get a replacement unit but apparently outside of the 14 days Chapters return this is not possible. To me this is becoming unacceptable I love my Kobo but seriously I have never met anywhere else that has that kind of return policy when they have retailers with stock it makes no business sense. Hey! we broke our product let's inconvenience the customers for two weeks rather than the retailers who deal with us brilliant!
remcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #8
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... Hey! we broke our product let's inconvenience the customers for two weeks rather than the retailers who deal with us brilliant!

The only solution to that would be for a retailer to "hold back," say, 5 or 10 percent of product - to keep on hand for returns and exchanges.

Like THAT'S gonna happen.

Was I irritated that I was without the use of my device for a few days? Sure. But I lived through it. And learned a lot about Kobo in the process. And I am thoroughly enjoying my Kobo v1.4. And am recommending them to others.

I have beta tested software programs (nothing eReader-related) in the past, and gained an insight and empathy for customer support representatives. I mean, you would have difficulty finding two PCs set up exactly the same anywhere - so they START with totally unknown customer setups, with drivers and all sorts of potentially interruptive processes working.

But Clint digresses.

In the US, Borders Rewards members who purchased their Kobos online have SIXTY DAYS to exchange or return their purchases to a local store. I also paid about twenty bucks for a SquareTrade warranty: three years of coverage, even if I drop mine in my koi pond. A fifty-dollar deductible. I also have "protection" via the credit card I used.

I am sorry that Canadian consumer laws - and your store's policies - aren't close to what is available just south of the border (no pun intended).

If you want a very nice eReader, I'd like you to hang in there and keep in close contact with Sameer/Kobo. They are bending over backwards pleasing us. And very few v1.0 Kobos ae actually "locking up" like ours have. I know it is hard to be patient - but the end result has been worth it for me.

Clint Bradford
909-241-7666
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:25 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
True clean reset

Is there a procedure to reset the Kobo ereader to a clean factory state including cleaning out all information about previously loaded books. When I was attempting to remove several books my offspring had installed, I was noticing that the database (koboreader.sqlite) still had information on them as did the images folder. This also seems to have been the case when an SD card being used with the Kobo was damaged -- cat decided it was a toy -- but the information on the books on the card survived the reset. Could be that the database is not being vacuumed.

I suppose I could try the firmware update from SD card at a local Chapters or Indigo since that does seem to wipe everything by rewriting the file system but kinda like using a sledgehammer to swat a gnat.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:30 AM   #10
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Is there a procedure to reset the Kobo ereader to a clean factory state including cleaning out all information about previously loaded books. When I was attempting to remove several books my offspring had installed, I was noticing that the database (koboreader.sqlite) still had information on them as did the images folder. This also seems to have been the case when an SD card being used with the Kobo was damaged -- cat decided it was a toy -- but the information on the books on the card survived the reset. Could be that the database is not being vacuumed.
Sqlite is used and only implementation differs, as I know.
I assume next version would have better handling, if you
upgraded and experienced the same problem.
Regarding one file db, sqlite proved to be stable and works
fine on at least one gadget I own. No reason to change it
to something more advanced and much bigger.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:25 AM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Sqlite is used and only implementation differs, as I know.
I assume next version would have better handling, if you
upgraded and experienced the same problem.
Regarding one file db, sqlite proved to be stable and works
fine on at least one gadget I own. No reason to change it
to something more advanced and much bigger.
Not really looking for something bigger/better. What I was wondering is if there is a way to restore the database to it's factory state. The reset currently leaves all kinds of bits and pieces behind. I don't want to be doing manual deletions and then vacuuming the database.

As an aside, since I picked up another Kobo as a birthday present for a friend who liked mine, I copied the database from that unit and saved it as a "factory clean" database copy.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:53 AM   #12
zoran
himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not really looking for something bigger/better. What I was wondering is if there is a way to restore the database to it's factory state. The reset currently leaves all kinds of bits and pieces behind. I don't want to be doing manual deletions and then vacuuming the database.

As an aside, since I picked up another Kobo as a birthday present for a friend who liked mine, I copied the database from that unit and saved it as a "factory clean" database copy.
I'm not sure if it takes just one file for all data. If
yes, you're fine. If developers envisioned another
tweaking, would be fine to know what and where
they are. Sqlite versions I had business with before
used simple customization. Have no hands on device
now, so cannot check that out on the reader.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #13
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
I'm not sure if it takes just one file for all data. If
yes, you're fine. If developers envisioned another
tweaking, would be fine to know what and where
they are. Sqlite versions I had business with before
used simple customization. Have no hands on device
now, so cannot check that out on the reader.
I have read some where that the Unit can be reflashed using an Sd card with the firmware on it. You maybe able to ask Kobo for a copy that you can download to the sd card. I had a problem with a gps where the unit would power on but hang up, i found the firmware on the net and fixed it. Being that the software that drives the ereaders and other devices tends to be embeded or hardwired into the chips the Sd card method may be feasable for most problems that are due to corruot firmware updates etc. That said its only an educated guess but I cam confident that this method would work 100 percent of the time.

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #14
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
Turn off the device. Turn it back on while holding the HOME button. This will trigger the factory reset. There is no YES/NO prompt - and please don't turn off the unit while it's doing this.
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Five months after I got it, one of my Kobo WiFi readers developed a screen problem--not a broken screen--but a problem that ultimately kept me from being able to use the reader. I brought my broken Kobo into my local Chapters store. I didn't have a receipt--no proof that I had even bought it there. They immediately understood what had happened, said they had seen it before, and five minutes later I was walking out the door with a brand-new Kobo. They explained that if I had had a receipt, I could have gotten a store credit instead (of course I wanted my reader anyway). I am not sure if any of this is official policy, but I was more than satisfied.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote