Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many eReaders do you own?
1-5 85 68.55%
5-10 30 24.19%
10+ 9 7.26%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2018, 03:20 AM   #61
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I've never taken them out of the box.
Which is precisely what collectors do! Finally, someone here has admitted to being one.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #62
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
When the jetBook Lite and Aluratek Libre were being phased out, I bought a couple as backups. I've never taken them out of the box.
Now that is the action of a collector.

My daughter collects action figures and buys two of each. One to open and display, the other to sit in it's box and (hopefully) accrue value. As she points out, her original Mutant Ninja Turtle figurines (which were never opened due her age when they were given to her as a gift so we put them away for later and forgot about them) are now worth ~$1500 US.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #63
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I don't exactly collect ereaders. I just keep them as I get a new one. I don't have anybody to pass them to. My husband got the first Paperwhite, but he doesn't need more than one. So they are stacked in the bookshelf with the books. Charged up once a month.
K1, K3, basic buttons, Voyage, Oasis1 and 2. I do not count any tablets/phone as e-readers as I don't read on those. I still actively use the Voyage and both the Oasisses. What the heck is the plural. Mostly the O2 and O1. Depends on where I am at and what is charged. I now keep wifi on all the time so they always sync.

Now I admit, I did keep the box the K1 came in, along with its cover. Just because it was so adorable and cute. Now they just slap them into brown cardboard. But the first kindle, oh it was such a joy to open that box that looks like a book. For nostalgia, I'll keep the K1 no matter what. Its getting a bit tired now, but still works. My precious.

So they just accumulate, rather than being collected. I guess that is just semantics. But if I were to collect them, I'd have bought every single kindle, or e-readers and I didn't do that.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #64
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
LOL! I guess you guys are right. I think of myself as a consumer, not a collector.

Do you think there is a market for a mint jetBook Lite? I kind of doubt it!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:06 PM   #65
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Fairly limited voting options there. I feel there's a pretty significant difference between having one or five of them.

I bought seven over the years, but have only used one at a time until recently, where I have two active e-ink readers. I use the 6" reader for fiction and the 7.8" mostly for non-fiction. If Kobo comes out with a new 8" reader, I'll probably add that one as I would like to have two non-fiction books open at the same time while making use of the ability to display more text.

I don't collect them, though. Prefer to have fewer devices instead of more, but I think 2-3 actively used ones strike a nice balance. If I only read fiction, I'd just have one reader.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #66
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I did a video review of all the ereaders in my collection eight years ago; I've added a lot since, but still have all of these, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWvbhE7tbOY
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:13 PM   #67
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
I'm curious as to how many of you collect eReaders? I sometimes feel like I spend more time collecting eReaders than actually reading eBooks. I'm curious as to how many others are collecting, and which eReaders they are collecting. I have the following:

Entourage Edge
iPad 1st Gen.
iPad Mini 1st Gen.
Slick
RCA REB 1100
PRS 300
PRS 505
PRS 700
PRS 900
Cybook Opus
KF HD 3rd Gen. (3)
KF 1st Gen.
Nook Color
Kindle DX
Literati Sharper Image
Tagus
Kobo 1st Gen.
PW 3rd Gen.
KT (2)
KT2 (2)
KO2
K2
K3
K4
Pocketbook Pro 602

iPads and tablets to me should not count. Ereaders are eink displays
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:02 PM   #68
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Nah...some people use their phone or tablet exclusively to read on. Not everyone uses eink...and there's nothing wrong with that.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:27 PM   #69
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I pretty much agree, but I know many (if not most) don't.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #70
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
'e-ink' should not be the limiting factor. A Dedicated reading UI, should. (just books and audio)

There were some early 'cheaper', units with LCD displays to keep the unit cost down. True, battery life was lousy, BUT they were under $200 back when e-ink devices were selling at $400+
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:15 AM   #71
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
the sony prs-350 i want to keep because it's a small screen and i had wanted to repurpose it as a display screen for displaying all my loyalty cards and bar codes so that they would scan easily by the shops without having to carry a bunch of cards. it would work much better if it was a screen the size of a credit card. but i've never been able to find such a device except for the yota phone (too expensive just for this purpose) and the e-ink cases made for certain specific phones (compatible phone models are limited and they don't work reliably from the reviews).
There are cell phone apps for that, though I don't use them once I got Samsung Pay, which I now use for that purpose. I'm not sure what is the technology Samsung Pay uses for loyalty and library cards, but it's been flawless, and I've had checkout people exclaim when some loyalty barcode scans that they've never had that work before. It's like it's beaming the number, too, especially when I reach towards the flat grocery checkout scanner built into the counter and the loyalty card scans immediately, before the phone even gets horizontal.

The problem is that Samsung Pay is only on high end Samsung Galaxy phones, the S6 through S9 variants [EDIT: and the Note 5, which is very similar to the S6 Edge+ but with stylus and a flat instead of curved screen]

Last edited by jj2me; 06-12-2018 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Added Note 5
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:20 AM   #72
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
There are cell phone apps for that, though I don't use them once I got Samsung Pay, which I now use for that purpose. I'm not sure what is the technology Samsung Pay uses for loyalty and library cards, but it's been flawless, and I've had checkout people exclaim when some loyalty barcode scans that they've never had that work before. It's like it's beaming the number, too, especially when I reach towards the flat grocery checkout scanner built into the counter and the loyalty card scans immediately, before the phone even gets horizontal.

The problem is that Samsung Pay is only on high end Samsung Galaxy phones, the S6 through S9 variants.
Google Pay does the same and is available for all Android phones. You have to have an NFC chip to actually pay (likely the same restriction you noticed when you mentioned 'high end Samsung Galaxy phones'), but it's not needed to scan loyalty cards, etc.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:34 AM   #73
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Google Pay does the same and is available for all Android phones. You have to have an NFC chip to actually pay (likely the same restriction you noticed when you mentioned 'high end Samsung Galaxy phones'), but it's not needed to scan loyalty cards, etc.
Yep. After setting all my loyalty cards up in Google Pay, I find that nine times out of ten, when I get to the checkout of a store I have a loyalty card for, Google Pay already has the barcode up and ready to scan when I unlock my phone.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:01 PM   #74
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Samsung Pay is different from (better than) Google/Android Pay or Apple Pay. All three can use NFC, but Samsung alone has patented MST (Magnetic Strip Technology), which can also be used at any terminal with a magnetic strip reader, including very ancient ones.

Samsung Galaxy phones have had NFC since at least the S2 (four years older than the S6), so it's not just NFC that is needed for Samsung Pay to work its magic.

Like I said, there seems to be something extra at work when scanning loyalty cards, especially when clerks say they never saw it work before, and when the cards get recognized so quickly before the phone is aligned with the scanner. I could very well be mistaken that it's superior in recognition of loyalty cards, but that's my experience, which I thought I'd share for anyone who already has an S6 or higher.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:59 PM   #75
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
thanks for the tip on using phones to store loyalty cards.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote