Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you find the answers helpful?
Yes! 23 50.00%
No. 6 13.04%
Yes, but... 17 36.96%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2006, 03:43 AM   #31
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver
What would be even better would be if Sony supported PDF reflow but that is probably expecting too much. I wonder what would happen if you used the Adobe PDF reader on a VGA enabled Pocket PC and reflowed the PDFs, then put them on the SOny? That would be an interesting experiment.
AFAIK, reflowing is not supported by the Sony Reader.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:49 AM   #32
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
dabloNL, will you import it or will you visit the States?

If it is possible I will import it. Otherwise I have some friends in the US and many colleagues who fly to the US regulary. But I expect to find some online shop who will ship to The Netherlands.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2006, 08:21 AM   #33
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Amazon ships overseas.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:29 AM   #34
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Amazon ships overseas.

I know but Amazon doesn't ship all of their products overseas and also it depends of which country your from. Let's hope so!
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:02 PM   #35
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
You guys are way ahead, Sony says december but judging by the way they promised before it's more like march 2007. Maybe they'll open market on a broader scale...if you continue begging enough.

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 08-12-2006 at 12:21 PM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2006, 12:21 PM   #36
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver
After yesterday people won't be taking these on planes any more.
luckly for us US folks thats only in the uk (restriction on electronics). Imagine no ipod or phone...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/08/11...les/index.html
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #37
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Imagine if consumer devices have to have removable batteries that can be surrendered to the flight crew to be securely locked away or they must travel checked.

I think this a much more likely development.

After all, Business people don't need to use their notebooks and cellphones in flight. They just need to know the notebook and cellphone will not be lost or damaged when they get off the plane. Notebooks and cellphones have removable batteries. The batteries are what the bad guys abuse to set off bombs.

Devices like Sony Reader will travel checked, devices like Sony Librie can fly carry on.

But the first gadget impacting development I expect? Removal of Empower from plane seats. You don't need an iPod to power up a detonator if you have 15V at a couple amps sitting right there in your seat.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:16 PM   #38
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
You guys are way ahead, Sony says december but judging by the way they promised before it's more like march 2007. Maybe they'll open market on a broader scale...if you continue begging enough.
Sony never said December: folks who apparently think that "Holidays" can only mean "Christmas" or perhaps "New Years" said December -- there's a difference between those two things.

The indications I have seen are that we will most likely see the launch some time in October, with some hints that it might be as early as the end of September. Indications similar to those that I've mentioned here in the past on other details (which have since proved to be true).

But then, I suppose you won't be disappointed if you insist on believing December.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:25 PM   #39
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
I cannot find
1. How fast does the Sony Reader turn or rotate a PDF page?
2. How can an user add the TOC into those native document?

Those are important to me.
Thanks.
segatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:07 AM   #40
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I think they said you rotate a page by holding the zoom button for a few seconds
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:04 AM   #41
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by segatang
I cannot find
1. How fast does the Sony Reader turn or rotate a PDF page?
2. How can an user add the TOC into those native document?
I don't think Sony has said anything about 1, but since it means redrawing the entire screen, it doesn't seem impossible that turn/rotate time = redraw time.

As for the second ... you get Adobe Acrobat or equivalent tool. Don't expect the tools included with Sony Reader to be authoring tools.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:01 AM   #42
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
Thanks for your fast replies.
I think I should describe my second question more clearly:

We know a paper book often has a "Table of Content" which helps a reader finds some chapter fast.
Similiarly, in my opinion, an ebook should support the TOC for convenient reading, too. (Iamgine a 1000 pages ebook has "no" TOC...)

An user can bulid a TOC in either a PDF (or a DOC) file by PC.
Can the Sony Reader natively read the built-in TOC of a PDF file?
Or we need "convert" or "rebuilt" the a special TOC format for the Sony Read by some edition tool?

In addition, we know TXT, RTF, JPG... does not support the TOC on PC.
When I use them as an "ebook" for Sony Reader, I wonder this ebook have a TOC (whehter the converted BBeB, or the native files).
So,
will Sony provide the edition tool for Sony Readre users to add TOC, add/delete pages, edit pages with different file format (i.e. p1~10 are rtf, p11 is jpg...), etc?

Last edited by segatang; 08-13-2006 at 10:05 AM.
segatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:27 AM   #43
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjnagle
Is there an PC emulator for the reader software? I'm an author and want to see how it renders. Is the only way to do this to buy the hardware?
I think that the Connect software itself may "emulate" on the PC, but I don't think you can get that without the Reader. Of course, once it's out, I'm sure there will be any number of home-grown PC emulators in about 15 minutes.

I also know that files formatted for a Librie' (such as those available from Manybooks.net -- the "Librie (beta)" format) look really good on the Sony Reader -- no surprise there -- so the Librie' PC emulators should give you some idea. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where to get those, nor which ones would be worth messing with, but it's something to look into....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #44
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
This is a wild guess i.e. hope.
If the Connect software works like Itunes, you'll have a library to store your books in and a software patch that converts them in the reader's language(BBeB). The only issue left would be formatting.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:29 PM   #45
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug
Honestly, that number is likely closer to zero.

Just look at the millions of business travellers reading on planes. All they need is to promote the readability, battery life, and ability to carry lots of books in a small lightweight space, and its a hit.
You underestimate the techno-fear/fear-of-the-new some people have... People on carry laptops because they've had them setup for them, and have been instructed how to use them. I once worked for a CEO... After five years using PCs he hadn't figured out that "File" -> "Open" could be used instead of double clicking on email attachments. No-one had ever shown him how, and he didn't want to break his computer by experimenting...

Who will show them how to use a Sony Reader...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote