Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 06-07-2007, 09:43 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Cervantes, Miguel de: Don Quixote. v1. 07 June 07

I don't want to take anything away from RWood for his excellently continuing series of Harvard Classics (indispensible and important work), but I, too, decided to add Don Quixote to the list of uploaded books. Don Quixote is also an important document in the development of the novel. PLUS, it's fun to read.

The novel is fully linked and, I hope, adequately and sensibly linked. (If you have any suggestions for improvement, please let me know.)

Because there are SO MANY CHAPTERS, I reluctantly decided to do away with the CHAPTER DESCRIPTORS that occur before one actually reads the book. However, they are IN THE TEXT, but at the location of the actual chapter.

This was difficult to put together: I worked on-and-off on it for two weeks, between putting together the "easy" stuff I was uploading for this site. I hope you're pleased with it.

For those who are not familiar with Don Quixote, here's something from the Wik:

"Don Quixote (sometimes spelled "Quijote") is actually two separate books that cover the adventures of Don Quixote, also known as the knight or man of La Mancha, a hero who carries his enthusiasm and self-deception to unintentional and comic ends. On one level, Don Quixote works as a satire of the romances of chivalry which ruled the literary environment of Cervantes' time. However, the novel also allows Cervantes to illuminate various aspects of human nature by using the ridiculous example of the delusional Quixote.

"Because the novel - particularly the first part - was written in individually published sections, the composition includes several incongruities. In the preface to the second part, Cervantes himself pointed out some of these errors, but he disdained to correct them, because he conceived that they had been too severely condemned by his critics."

Please let me know if there are any problems.

Don
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Don Quixote.lrf (1.31 MB, 1706 views)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-07-2007 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Fixed the truncated descenders on the cover page
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Don. You are the MAN! I've been considering tackling this one on BD.

But I know me. I'd probably do away with the Chapter links entirely like I did on Les Mis.. (I still feel a bit guilty about that one. If someone does Les Mis. with all the chapter links my version ought to come down but until then at least its in Sony Reader format.)

Its been years since I've read Don Quixote.

And now.. It'll probably STILL be years until I get to it but now..

I got it on my reader. So far I have 178 books on it.

(Most of them downlaoded from this site.)
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2007, 10:05 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
Don. You are the MAN! I've been considering tackling this one on BD.

But I know me. I'd probably do away with the Chapter links entirely like I did on Les Mis.. (I still feel a bit guilty about that one. If someone does Les Mis. with all the chapter links my version ought to come down but until then at least its in Sony Reader format.)

Its been years since I've read Don Quixote.

And now.. It'll probably STILL be years until I get to it but now..

I got it on my reader. So far I have 178 books on it.

(Most of them downlaoded from this site.)
Thanks. Remember, though, that I did away with the Chapter descriptors (when a chapter is FIRST encounted in the Contents section). They are there, but located when one reads the actual chapter in the ebook. The only reason I did this is because the Contents page would have easily been 20-25 screens long...just for the Contents page alone!

Don
Old 06-07-2007, 10:17 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Thanks. Remember, though, that I did away with the Chapter descriptors (when a chapter is FIRST encounted in the Contents section). They are there, but located when one reads the actual chapter in the ebook. The only reason I did this is because the Contents page would have easily been 20-25 screens long...just for the Contents page alone!

Don
What I have been doing lately is making the ToC smaller if it's a large one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:44 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I went a different route and did include the descriptions in the chapter headings but eliminated the word "chapter" at the start of each chapter when I did Don Quixote as Harvard Classics, Volume 14 link

I used the base text from Project Gutenberg and had only 52 chapters as contrasted with Don's version that has 74. The start of the Translators section reads the same so I am unsure of the cause for the variation. Maybe the good Dr. can find the cause (and the cure.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 12:42 AM   #6
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Is there a public domain version of the Tobias Smollet translation? I can't seem to find one, even though this translation dates back to the eighteenth century.
Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Is there a public domain version of the Tobias Smollet translation? I can't seem to find one, even though this translation dates back to the eighteenth century.
Thanks.
I'm a huge, huge Smollet fan; however, I can no listing for his translation. If someone finds it or has it, please let me know and I'll gladly make it available here on MobileRead.

Thanks,
Don