Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2017, 03:19 AM   #46
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Do a ebay search for "Sony PRS-950" and multiple offers for battery replacements appear, claiming to be new production. Replacement How to videos are available on Youtube. Screen replacements available too.

Going to order both for my PRS-950 which has some dead spots on the screen and minimal battery charge retention.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:32 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did a search on Youtube and I did not see any battery replacement videos. Please provide link(s). Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2017, 10:57 AM   #48
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did a search on Youtube and I did not see any battery replacement videos. Please provide link(s). Thanks.
*Sigh* this thread brought back memories of my beloved PRS-350 whose battery gave up the ghost. I still keep it in case I ever decide to sell it for parts but I'll just probably keep it along with my sony walkman minidisc player.

In regards to your PRS-950, have you considered using an external battery back up charger as a possible workaround?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AA-Battery-B...-Sony-Reader-P
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:14 AM   #49
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
*Sigh* this thread brought back memories of my beloved PRS-350 whose battery gave up the ghost. I still keep it in case I ever decide to sell it for parts but I'll just probably keep it along with my sony walkman minidisc player
Why not just replace the battery?

Or if the price of that battery is too high for you, here's one on eBay that's $12 shipped and includes tools.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #50
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Why not just replace the battery?

Or if the price of that battery is too high for you, here's one on eBay that's $12 shipped and includes tools.
That's a good idea, but I've since moved on to my PRS T-1. Plus, I kinda messed up when I tried to remove the battery of my PRS-350. I've since learned to be more patient when dealing with electronic devices or just leave it alone.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2017, 04:00 AM   #51
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
My error. 3 Amazon sellers for the battery plus some ebay sources, 1700 MAH. I was told Youtube had a video but cannot find it. I am told that the PRS-650 is similar construction and Youtube does have a battery replacement video for it which I will try and use. I have ordered a battery as my 950 is losing charge in 2 days currently. For use it can attach to a Anker or other rechargeable battery pack as a emergency solution.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:37 AM   #52
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
For those looking to add to their Sony Reader collection, Shop Goodwill (shopgoodwill.com) currently has PRS-300s (nearly always available), a 500, two 505s, two 600s and a 700 all currently up for auction. Search for "Sony PRS" and "Sony Reader" (each search will produce slightly different results). Do the 505s have the same type of screen as the 300s?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:44 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I say don't buy a 300, 505, 600, 700, or 900. In fact, don't buy any Sony Reader before the x50 series.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:27 AM   #54
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I say don't buy a 300, 505, 600, 700, or 900. In fact, don't buy any Sony Reader before the x50 series.
I'm not really going to argue much with you here. I like the general design of the 600 but the screen is shiny and the fonts are light. (I now remember that this is the reason I didn't keep the last one I bought.) If I could find a PRS-650 I would probably be interested, although I just realized (or re-realized) that the T1 also has a headphone jack. I'm guessing the 600 will be one of my eReaders to be "culled" shortly. The 300 might stick around for a awhile. (There are so many 300s around that they don't have much value anyhow.)

If the 505 had a screen similar in quality to the 300 and also played audio, that might not be a bad compromise. I'm thinking of a specific use for it.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:06 PM   #55
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
If the 505 had a screen similar in quality to the 300 and also played audio, that might not be a bad compromise. I'm thinking of a specific use for it.
Some here think the 505 has a better screen than the 600 (similar screen to the 300), and the 505 does play audio.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:22 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Some here think the 505 has a better screen than the 600 (similar screen to the 300), and the 505 does play audio.
The 505 and 600 have the same screen. The problem is that the touch layer on the 600 makes it fuzzy and very reflective. So overall it's an awful reading experience with the 600. The 900 & 700 are also awful.

The 505 is not nice due to having an old version of RMDSK. The x50 line has a newer RMDSK, but not new enough to support hyphenation. The 505's RMDSK doesn't even support justification. The x50 was was where that came about. The T3 is the only Sony that supports hyphenation and by then, it wasn't sold in the US.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:52 AM   #57
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
*Sigh* this thread brought back memories of my beloved PRS-350 whose battery gave up the ghost. I still keep it in case I ever decide to sell it for parts but I'll just probably keep it along with my sony walkman minidisc player.
If it's just the battery, you can pick one up for $11.65 in the U.S. (which includes shipping).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cameron-Sin...MAAOSwr7ZW4nSg

Installing it looks like it requires working with about four screws and approximately 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr0B2bT9UGs

I just got my 350 delivered today. I like it a lot.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:54 AM   #58
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
That's what it looks like in the pictures. I think I'll try one. The 300's screen is satisfactory in good light or when using my E-Luminator reading light at night. Not as nice as the 350, though.

Last edited by rcentros; 12-31-2017 at 01:00 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:59 AM   #59
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
The 505 and 600 have the same screen. The problem is that the touch layer on the 600 makes it fuzzy and very reflective. So overall it's an awful reading experience with the 600. The 900 & 700 are also awful.

The 505 is not nice due to having an old version of RMDSK. The x50 line has a newer RMDSK, but not new enough to support hyphenation. The 505's RMDSK doesn't even support justification. The x50 was was where that came about. The T3 is the only Sony that supports hyphenation and by then, it wasn't sold in the US.
Okay, thanks. Good information. I don't mind the lack of hyphenation or justification. If the screen is about the same quality as the 300's screen, it will be good enough (at least for now). I want a reader where I can carry around a few speeches/sermons/songs. The Kindle Touch and Keyboard will let me load sound files, but there's no way to navigate to where I want to go, which makes the feature about worthless for my usage.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:02 AM   #60
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
The 505 and 600 have the same screen. The problem is that the touch layer on the 600 makes it fuzzy and very reflective. So overall it's an awful reading experience with the 600. ...
And murky. I agree, it's not a good reading experience. Which is a shame because the 600's build is really nice.