Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #1
ebookscovers
Enthusiast
ebookscovers began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad mini 2
Calibre unwanted page breaks

Help!! i have an epub in Calibre and can't get rid of page breaks. The problem is the page breaks occur randomly in the middle of all chapters. I will obviously keep page breaks after each chapter but how do I get rid of breaks in the middle of chapters? the Paragraph remove spacing option doesn't solve this? In the file preview it looks file but in Ibooks it shows all the gaps. pulling my hair out on this one. how can something so simple be so complicated??
ebookscovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:22 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are the page breaks CSS related or are they because of the end of the file?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2017, 04:35 PM   #3
ebookscovers
Enthusiast

I'm useless at this coding stuff. When I do a check it brings up the error: Warning [1 / 95]
stylesheet.css (line: 104 column: 3)
This CSS construct is not recognized. That means that it most likely will not work on reader devices. Consider replacing it with something else.

Where it breaks the coding is </span></div><div id="box3_2413" class="para-normal-local2"><span class="char-normal-local3">

completely lost in this. sure theres a shortcut to this. However if I had to do each one manually I'd need to know how to do one.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you post your CSS? There may be a page break command in there.

Also, what is contents of line 104 of your CSS?
Old 05-02-2017, 04:49 PM   #5
ebookscovers
Enthusiast

this is just a small part of the CSS style sheet. I notice 'page-break-inside: avoid;

calibre3 {
background-color: white;
color: black;
display: block;
font-size: 1.29167em;
line-height: 1.2;
padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0;
margin: 0 5pt
}
.calibre4 {
border-bottom: 0;
border-top: 0;
display: block;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-top: 0;
padding-bottom: 0;
padding-top: 0;
page-break-inside: avoid;
text-indent: 1.5em
Advert
Old 05-02-2017, 04:55 PM   #6
ebookscovers
Enthusiast

This is line: 104 column: 5 -webkit-font-feature-settings: "liga" 0;
Old 05-02-2017, 05:05 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookscovers View Post
This is line: 104 column: 5 -webkit-font-feature-settings: "liga" 0;
I would delete that line. Even if you are reading on your iPad Mini using iBooks or some other webkit app, that line does nothing for you.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:06 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookscovers View Post
this is just a small part of the CSS style sheet. I notice 'page-break-inside: avoid;
That's not the code that would cause a page break. That code it to try to prevent a page break. The entire CSS should be posted. It it's long, either put it in a spoiler or a code block.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:13 PM   #9
ebookscovers
Enthusiast

have to delete 95 instances manually. 10 minutes. will revert and see if works. fingers crossed.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:46 PM   #10
ebookscovers
Enthusiast

ok done a find and delete with the 95 instances. re ran check and it said no errors. I saved the file and opened again and it still has the breaks in iBooks!! Errors are gone but breaks still there. bizarre.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:12 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Are the chapters each in their own file inside the ePub?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:17 PM   #12
ebookscovers
Enthusiast

Hi Brian. yes chapters all separate inside epub
Old 05-02-2017, 06:32 PM   #13
ebookscovers
Enthusiast

Still have the large gaps/page breaks within the chapters of epub. Is there anything simple way or simple code (maybe from W3schools) I can implement such as {page-break-after: always;}? Never thought such a simple issue would be this painful. I only want page breaks after each chapter. Hopefully can resolve so I know going forward with epub conversions. Help!!
Old 05-02-2017, 06:47 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Why not scramble the book and post it? See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267998
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:58 PM   #15
ebookscovers
Enthusiast

Thanks Peter. Is it a plug in? need to figure out how to add to Calibre for mac