Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-19-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
willijt
Zealot
willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 2, Nook
Reformatting .txt files

Hi all,

Probably a dumb question but, is there any way that I can reformat an ebook .txt file so that it is more friendly to my Sony PRS-505 when after importing I ask for a medium sized font (eyes aren't what they used to be). I hate reading when the lines are chopped in disarray and apparent disorder. I have Mac MS Word and Mac iWork Pages as word processing resources.

Any advice would be gratefully accepted. Thank you in advance.

jim
willijt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
willijt
Zealot
willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Answered my own question

My test book for this exercise was "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" by T.E. Lawrence. I just ordered this out-of-print text from an Amazon vendor but shortly afterward I discovered a copy at http://gutenberg.net.au/

After loading it into my Sony PRS-505 it really looked choppy and because I am kind of picky on form and appearance, I sought to amend the form so that even after changing the font size on my eReader, it would still look orderly and consistent.

It appears to me that I have managed to do that with the help of the information found at the URL listed below. My text editor was Apple iWork PAGES.

http://www.handebooks.com/howto/tips.html

jim
Old 03-21-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Actually, there's an LRF version of the Seven Pillars of Wisdom in our own upload section:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10190

Here are some simple ways of removing the annoying linebreaks in text files.
Start by pasting the file into a doc. Then try one of the following:

Replacing Breaks using Word
Paste the text file into a word document. Save it.
Open Find and Replace (In the “Edit” menu). You need to make three passes with it.
1. Find ^p^p (i.e. find two paragraph marks. The symbols are in More then Special. The paragraph mark is at the top of the list.). Replace with @ (These act as placeholders to preserve the real paragraphs.)
2. Now, for the second pass, find ^p (single paragraph mark). Replace with a single space.
3. Finally, for the third pass, find @ and replace with either a single paragraph mark, or two paragraph marks if you prefer an empty line between paragraphs.

Stingo’s Word Macro
This does a good job at removing the hard line breaks in text files and making a reflowable document. It also sets the font to Times New Roman, point 14. Once installed, it is very easy to use. Paste your text file into a word document. Save the Doc and run the macro.
You can find it here, together with instructions on how to install it:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8793
(The only time this has ever given me trouble was when I failed to save the doc before running the macro. It crashed.)

BookCreator
MobileRead member =X= has produced BookCreator. This is a Word template containing a number of useful macros, which speed up the editing process. He envisages using it in connection with Calibre. However, it is entirely feasible to run the macros and then import the edited document into BD.
BookCreator is available here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28313
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:03 AM   #4
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hello,

If you plan to use OpenOffice, you could use this extension called MyTXTcleaner
http://www.box.net/shared/etq31z1u15

It installs a little icon on the top left, and just do the job (well, open your file before...).
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:57 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My preferred solution is to use a freeware tool called "Textify" which you'll find here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Paste the text file into a word document. Save it.
Open Find and Replace (In the “Edit” menu). You need to make three passes with it.
1. Find ^p^p (i.e. find two paragraph marks. The symbols are in More then Special. The paragraph mark is at the top of the list.). Replace with @ (These act as placeholders to preserve the real paragraphs.)
2. Now, for the second pass, find ^p (single paragraph mark). Replace with a single space.
3. Finally, for the third pass, find @ and replace with either a single paragraph mark, or two paragraph marks if you prefer an empty line between paragraphs.
On a Mac you can just copy paragraphs and line breaks and paste them into the search and replace window.

To the OP: I would suggest using Pages for this - the search and replace seems to be more stable and a little easier to use than in Word. I've done this a lot recently with some books I've re-formatted, and whenever I start working in Word I often find myself shifting to Pages.

When finished, you can export from Pages to RTF - though I would suggest copying and pasting the whole thing into a new RTF document (TextEdit). It gives a 'cleaner' file. The RTF file can be converted in Calibre to for example ePUB if you don't like how RTF looks on the Reader.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My preferred solution is to use a freeware tool called "Textify" which you'll find here.
WOW!!

Thank you, that is so easy to use.
The worst book I ever read was on my Palm Pilot. It had one 250 page paragraph, no indents, carriage returns etc.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:23 PM   #8
willijt
Zealot

Mac Pages and MS Word - Text Editing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
On a Mac you can just copy paragraphs and line breaks and paste them into the search and replace window.

To the OP: I would suggest using Pages for this - the search and replace seems to be more stable and a little easier to use than in Word. I've done this a lot recently with some books I've re-formatted, and whenever I start working in Word I often find myself shifting to Pages.

When finished, you can export from Pages to RTF - though I would suggest copying and pasting the whole thing into a new RTF document (TextEdit). It gives a 'cleaner' file. The RTF file can be converted in Calibre to for example ePUB if you don't like how RTF looks on the Reader.
To EA: You're correct about Pages. It's what I ended up using - both for its stability and ease of use with Find/Replace. Word couldn't hold the contents of the book for longer than 2 minutes before it crashed, regardless of what I did to fix it. Your photography is very nice.

To all: Thank you. I learn. The challenge is to remember.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by willijt View Post
To EA: You're correct about Pages. It's what I ended up using - both for its stability and ease of use with Find/Replace. Word couldn't hold the contents of the book for longer than 2 minutes before it crashed, regardless of what I did to fix it. Your photography is very nice.
Thank you - nice of you to say so

Word for Mac really isn't all that great. Pages generally work so much better. But I've read the next version of Word for Mac should be quite improved.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:28 AM   #10
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Where did you find this app? Or did you write it yourself?

Could we see the source code? FOSS FTW.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:16 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Where did you find this app? Or did you write it yourself?

Could we see the source code? FOSS FTW.
I downloaded it from a Usenet newsgroup many, many years ago. I'm afraid I don't have the source code for it.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:17 AM   #12
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
This one?
http://1scripts.net/archive/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5&p=88
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, that's a different program with the same name.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #14
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
http://sno2.iwarp.com/ebook-faq/

I can't see any source code for it though, which is a pity.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:05 AM   #15
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Holy smokes! I've tried multiple text cleaning programs, including Text Soap on the Mac, and Textify cleaned multiple files perfectly. Brilliant little program, that is.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote