Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-19-2018, 10:45 PM   #26911
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo H2O, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Read the novella All Systems Red by Martha Wells. Apparently, this will be a series with more installments expected this year. I liked the theme and the writing was witty and precise. Lots of android introspection but not enough to throw me out of the story. This wasn't bad at all. Rated B- [4 stars].
Total of four installments, IIRC... and isn't the "android introspection" the whole point? Like, it's not called "The Murderbot Adventures." Diaries mean introspection.

I finally finished the indie superhero novel I started reading in August. Neat premise, solid story, good characters, awful editing, and it ends on a cliffhanger (with the sequel still unpublished). Not recommended.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM   #26912
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Since my last post I have read:
  • Carrie Vaughn's Bannerless
  • Jason Lutes' Berlin: City of Stones
  • Carson McCullers' "A Tree, A Rock, A Cloud"
  • Stephanie Powell Watts' "Unassigned Territory"
Okay, doing a great job of posting on my challenge thread list, but keep forgetting to double it up here... Since my previous post, I have read:
  • Edger Keret's short story "Suddenly, a Knock on the Door"
  • John Allison's comic Giant Days: Not on the Test Edition, Vol 2
  • Oliver Goldsmith's book The Vicar of Wakefield
  • Phillip K. Dick's story "The Hanging Stranger"
  • A.A. Milne's only foray into the detective novel The Red House Mystery
  • Nnedi Okorafor's story "The Baboon War"

I am currently reading Virigina Woolf's To The Lighthouse and Isaac Asimov's I, Robot.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM   #26913
PurpleStar
Guru
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Last night I finished In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware. Good mystery/thriller. Next up is Star Trek: The Next Generation Hearts and Minds by Dayton Ward.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM   #26914
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Finished Neogenesis. Excellent. With many series, the plot starts to slow down as the series progresses. Not so with the Liaden Universe.
Now also reading I, Claudius by Robert Graves.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM   #26915
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Searching ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Total of four installments, IIRC... and isn't the "android introspection" the whole point? Like, it's not called "The Murderbot Adventures." Diaries mean introspection.
I generally don't care for diaries, memoirs, autobiographies, etc but I do enjoy Wells' work so I was hoping this series has some android adventure (it is called a murderbot, after all) along with the internal thoughts.

However, I really dislike serials. Seems like a money grab to me. Four installments at $3.99 each comes out to be $16 for a 600 page book.

Edit: Looking at Amazon I see the pre-orders are currently going for $9.99 each. Hopefully, prices will drop when released.

Last edited by Fbone; Yesterday at 12:43 PM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM   #26916
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage,Kindle PW, Fire HD 8.9, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, Wonder wasn't really wonderful. OK, but no better. I'd say 3 stars at best. I didn't want to abandon it, but it was close. This trilogy really didn't live up to the promise of the first book.

Next up, Devices and Desires, the 8th Adam Dalgliesh book from P.D. James. This, at least, I know I can count on!
Still reading Devices and Desires on audio, but meanwhile I read E. R. Braithwaite's To Sir With Love. The movie was very closely based on the book, and it was a pleasure to revisit it. But also a bit of a downer, seeing so many of the issues that Braithwaite dealt with still a major problem.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM   #26917
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S7 Edge and Galaxy Tab 4 7.0
Finished Cold Welcome, thanks to a (to me) unexpected holiday... Now reading Mustaine by David Mustaine, another rock memoir; this time by the former Metallica guitarist and Megadeth founder/frontman.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:02 AM   #26918
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Searching ...
Decided on Wen Spencer's Alien Taste. My first with this author. I really liked the first half. Great characters and their relationships. Non-traditional. Interesting plot and mystery. However, the second half forced me to suspend belief too often. Several unusual human responses and huh? moments added to it. Fast pace, fortunately. Can someone actually ride a motorcycle at speeds of 200 mph through Pittsburgh while maintaining control? Enjoyed it overall despite the ending. Rated C [3 stars].
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:15 AM   #26919
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage,Kindle PW, Fire HD 8.9, Fire HD8
Not her best, IMHO. But try Eight Million Gods of you want something fairly far out, but fun. Or Tinker, if you want pure fantasy.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:41 AM   #26920
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Now also reading I, Claudius by Robert Graves.
And also Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Bookshop.

I rarely have so many books on the go!
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote