Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What will we name the new book club?
The New Leaf Book Club 12 57.14%
The Book Stops Here 1 4.76%
Great Expectations Book Club 4 19.05%
ACME Book Club 0 0%
The Discovery Book Club 2 9.52%
Running Brooks Book Club 1 4.76%
Booky McBook Club 1 4.76%
Portable Magic Book Club 6 28.57%
Electric Avenue Book Club 0 0%
Looney Tomes Book Club 0 0%
Mobileread Book Club 5 23.81%
New Bits Book Club 1 4.76%
New Electrons Book Club 1 4.76%
Bits, Bytes and Books Club 1 4.76%
Books by the Byte Book Club 5 23.81%
QUEST: QUEST for Unifying Engagement through Study of Tomes Book Club 2 9.52%
Bookbytes Book Club 1 4.76%
Great Beginnings Book Club 3 14.29%
Wondrous Words Book Club 1 4.76%
Words and Sounds Book Club 1 4.76%
The New Book Club 4 19.05%
Pages & Perspectives Book Club 8 38.10%
The Backlist Book Club 1 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Question A new name for a new book club: What will it be?

Time to pick a new name for the new book club!

The poll of all the suggested names will run for three days. At the end, there will be one of three possibilities:
  • One name gets at least 40% of the vote. That's it! The club has a new name.
  • Two or more names get at least 40% of the vote. There will be a one-day runoff poll among them.
  • No name gets at least 40% of the vote. The top three vote-getters will be in a one-day runoff poll.

This is a multiple-choice poll. Vote for as many names as you'd like.

Last edited by issybird; 12-16-2017 at 11:46 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:07 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
One of my votes included "The New Leaf Book Club" ... though I must admit I'd prefer it if the "The" was dropped.

Not sure if I'll ever manage to be a regular, but participating as much as I can is something I'd like to add to add to my 2018 resolutions.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:15 AM   #3
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
That sounds like an excellent resolution!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:43 AM   #4
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I hope to actually participate more this time around. Personal issues got in the way and I'm hoping to make progress this year.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:22 AM   #5
Maslerh
Maslerh began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I hope to actually participate more this time around. Personal issues got in the way and I'm hoping to make progress this year.
If there's a lot of people involved, that's a good thing
Maslerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:41 AM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I added the club to my reading challenge for this year. (And I suspect we can drop that extraneous "The" )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I added the club to my reading challenge for this year. (And I suspect we can drop that extraneous "The" )
No you cannot drop "The". If you did, it would not be the same name people voted for. So no, "The" cannot go. It has to stay because it's part of the name that was voted for. It's not extraneous due to being in the name voted for.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are the names not voted for so bad that even the people who nominated them won't vote for them?
Old 12-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #9
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
The nominations were like brainstorming, just because we nominated something doesn't mean that we think it is the best idea or haven't changed our mind. I'm sure at least a couple of those were made in jest anyway.

Last edited by Dazrin; 12-18-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #10
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Unless something changes in the next 15 minutes we won't need to have a run-off vote.

Last call everyone....
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:47 AM   #11
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And New Leaf has it!

I'll be posting some badges you can use in a public album sometime in the next couple of days.

Last edited by CRussel; 12-19-2017 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Stupid fingers
Old 12-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
And New Leaf has it!

I'll be posting some badges you can use in a public album sometime in the next couple of days.
Sorry, nope.

The New Leaf has it. Remember, The is part of the name voted for. It has to remain or it's a difference name and not valid and we'd need a new vote all over again. So leave the The.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:29 AM   #13
CRussel
(he/him/his)

For you, Jon, I'll have a version with The in it. Really, grammatically, 'the' is an article, and therefore optional. But if you're seriously concerned, you can use the badge with The in it.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #14
CRussel
(he/him/his)

OK, I've created an album here in my profile, and made it public. All logged on members of MobileRead should be able to see the pictures in the album, and attach them to their signatures. The link is: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/al...p?albumid=1305.

Note: This includes versions with The in the title, and those without. Use as you wish, though I note that Dazrin will have some suggested code shortly, and issybird will have links in the official New Leaf Book Club initiating announcement.

ETA: My new signature includes the badge, and a link to the Book Club subforum. And still meets the signature height and width guidelines.

Last edited by CRussel; 12-20-2017 at 04:49 PM. Reason: New Sig
Old 12-20-2017, 06:06 PM   #15
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Thanks very much for this Charlie!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote