Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 03-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
kressg23
Enthusiast
kressg23 began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader, iPhone
An update and a few questions...

In the week I've had my EZ Reader, I have read 1-1/2 books through it so far. Overall, I really love it. It's comfortable to read even while lying down in bed. It's so nice to not have to worry about turning a page, but rather just pushing a button. I do have to admit that it took me a few hours before I stopped trying to actually turn a paper page with as much as it reminded me of my paperbacks! lol

So, a couple things that have occurred make me wonder if perhaps I do not have the latest version of their firmware or if I should seriously look into OpenInkPot. While reading these first books, I'd go to turn the page and nothing would happen. I'd try again thinking I didn't push the button hard enough and still nothing. I'd sit and wait for a minute and then the entire screen would flash and the device would essentially reboot, opening again from the splash screen, then end up in my library. I'd have ample time to glance down at the page number I was on so I could go back to it once it was back up, but every time it did this, the page number actually either skipped ahead or backwards by anywhere from 25-100 pages. This probably happened about 10 times so far.

Last night, I was reading and suddenly the device locked up completely. No buttons or even the power switch would fix it, so I pushed the little reset button on the back. That successfully rebooted the device, but again, after noting the page I was on, going straight to it left me about 25 pages ahead of where I had been reading.

With all that said, does OpenInkPot rectify this small issue? And is there any documentation here for a newbie to load it? As always, thanks for your help.

Edited to add that my firmware version is V2.00ASTAK.081024. Do I need to update?

Last edited by kressg23; 03-01-2009 at 12:16 PM.
kressg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I have the same firmware, and I haven't touched it. My EZ Reader has a few quirks too, yesterday it suddenly decided it didn't want to read .lit files past the third page anymore. A full recharge seems to have fixed that problem, but it was definitely worrisome.
What format were the books you were reading? Maybe that has something to do with it. I also found out that the EZ Reader doesn't seem to like massive .lit files. I bought an omnibus in .lit format (4 books worth, one .lit file), and my EZ Reader just wasn't having any. I converted it to .rtf and now the reader is fine with the file.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
What format are you reading the books in? Some don't accuratly handle page numbers for quitting and returning to the same page. From what I've seen so far, FB2 handles pages fine at the expense of a slightly longer opening time for the book.

I did have reboot issues with a couple of versions of the BeBook/Jinke firmware although I can't remember which specific versions. I'm currently using the latest openinkpot snapshot. The previous snapshot ran fine for the last month (on a single charge no less and still 25% battery left), installed the latest snapshot last night, hopefully it'll be just as stable

There's instructions on how to load openinkpot on their website, it's pretty simple. Look at the sticky threads in the openinkpot forum, there's a direct link to the latest firmware snapshot and install/user guides. The process is basically, download the 64 or 512 meg version depending on which device you have, extract the zip and copy the v3update.bin to a SD card that is either just been formatted or is under 1GB in size. Turn on the device whilst holding down the + key, follow the onscreen prompts and job done.

Only problem I've noticed with the recent OI firmware is that FBReader doesn't want to open fb2.zip books anymore, but coolreader works fine.

I'd advise against using the live version of OI, I had no end of reboot/freeze problems with it. It's much simpler to just flash your device with the latest OI and if you don't like it, you just flash back to one of the Jinke/BeBook firmwares. If anything goes wrong during the flashing (as happened to me last night), you stick something in the reboot hole, hold down + and try the flash again.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I have the same firmware, and I haven't touched it. My EZ Reader has a few quirks too, yesterday it suddenly decided it didn't want to read .lit files past the third page anymore. A full recharge seems to have fixed that problem, but it was definitely worrisome.
What format were the books you were reading? Maybe that has something to do with it. I also found out that the EZ Reader doesn't seem to like massive .lit files. I bought an omnibus in .lit format (4 books worth, one .lit file), and my EZ Reader just wasn't having any. I converted it to .rtf and now the reader is fine with the file.
I had trouble with a large lit files too - 8 novels in one.
I copied and pasted each novel into word and saved it as a seperate lit file. I didn't like the htlm. How do you convert to rtf?
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
kressg23
Enthusiast

These are lit files that were converted to mobi. Maybe that's the problem. I like the mobi version because it allows me to use more fonts than the lit version did. However, the mobi version does not allow bookmarks and it will lock up and reboot all by itself many times throughout the course of a book. I'm on the 3rd one now, more than half way through it, it's only 1 book, about 1600 pages according to the device (which is large) and it's probably rebooted like that 10 times. Every time, I look at the page number so I can just go back to it, and every time it's off by at least 50 pages either forward or backward, which I find odd... The ending page number never changes, so something is weird.
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
matanic
Enthusiast
matanic began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air, Kobo Aura H2O
I've had my EZ Reader for 2 weeks (a little longer actually) and I've read several books. So far it has rebooted twice I think, on different mobipocket files. Twice it locked up and had to be reset but these were both in the same book (mobipocket) so I think it didn't like that file. On the .rtf file I'm currently reading it has sent me back to the library 3 times when I tried to turn the page and when I re-enter the book it had lost my page. But all that happened within the first 100 pages, I'm almost at page 400 and it hasn't happened again. I did update my firmware to the lastest from Hanlin a couple of days after I bought the reader, so maybe you should try that. By the way the mobi books do allow bookmarks but they work differently. I think you press 6 to bring up the bookmark page and then can press 1 or whatever to set a bookmark. I'm not positive that is the correct method, check your instruction book.

Last edited by matanic; 03-07-2009 at 10:36 AM.
matanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
I had trouble with a large lit files too - 8 novels in one.
I copied and pasted each novel into word and saved it as a seperate lit file. I didn't like the htlm. How do you convert to rtf?
I use ABC Amber lit converter to format switch between .lit and .rtf.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
kressg23
Enthusiast

Do you have any more info on updating the firmware? I'm on the Hanlin website, but am unsure what I need to download. I'm thinking that my device doesn't like mobi books... On this last one I read, it said there were 1667 pages, but once I got to 1667, it kept going to page 1756.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kressg23 View Post
Do you have any more info on updating the firmware? I'm on the Hanlin website, but am unsure what I need to download. I'm thinking that my device doesn't like mobi books... On this last one I read, it said there were 1667 pages, but once I got to 1667, it kept going to page 1756.
This is a mobi format problem, not a firmware issue. Mobi does not keep page numbers and all numbers are merely an estimate on all readers on all platforms.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #10
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kressg23 View Post
Before I switched to OpenInkPot, I had a similar problem. I found that "sometimes" I could go back to the library and re-enter the book and that would fix the number issue (at least temporarily) but not always. These little "gotchas" are one reason I switched to OI.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote