Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #1
alinexxmari
alinexxmari began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Books from Android to Calibre

Hey everyone,

I'm helpless at this point. I want to put the downloaded books I have on my android phone to the calibre software on linux so I can manage them, but I just can't find a way.

I've already tried the following:

1) connect my phone to my computer by USB - calibre can't do anything with it. Only once did I manage to make it do something with my phones' files, but my pc froze at 60% and I couldn't make it happen again

2) use the CC app - I have no problems connecting the devices, but like above, the calibre on linux barely interacted with my device. I managed to get the starting guide on my reader, but I want the opposite... I tried using the cloud services and even trying to copy the files from the downloaded folder to the calibre companion folder, but they don't show up on the app itself.

I've tried solving both cases as much as I could. That's all I've been doing for the past week. I ended up with three different cloud service accounts, setting my account as root and updating linux to a new version.

So like I said, I'm at a loss. I'm sure there'd a simple way to do this. Apologies if the text sounds weird and lacks info. English isn't my first language and I'm tired at this point. I'll make things clearer later.

Thanks in advance.
alinexxmari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #2
Angel Crawford
Enthusiast
Angel Crawford began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD 3
Hey ho,

you could use the buildin Calibre Server. =)
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/de/server.html

You start the Calibre Server in Calibre over the Button "Connect/Share". Now you can access over your WLAN the IP address, which Calibre will give you. You can find the IP Address, if you click on the "Connect/Share" Button again.
Put the IP address (http://192.***.***.**:8080) into your Browser. Choose your Library and open it. On the top Menue is a Plus Icon. Click this! Now you can selecting the Book files from your phone.

That's all =)

Downside: It only works out of the Box in your WLAN. (Mobile Phone in the same Network) .
For more you would have to do more setup.

Last edited by Angel Crawford; 01-10-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Angel Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #3
alinexxmari
alinexxmari began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Hi, thanks! I followed your steps (well, more or less; I only inserted the IP address that was in the article you linked itself and not the personalized one I got on my calibre software because that one wouldn't load) and it was all going all right (clicked on my library, clicked on plus and the file manager opened) until I was about to select my copy of Alice in Wonderland... Here's the message I got:

Quote:
Failed to upload the file: Alice_en.epub
You must be logged in to make changes to the library
Failed to communicate with "/cdb/add-book/1/n/Alice_en.epub/Calibre_Library", with status: [403] Forbidden

Anonymous users are not allowed to make changes
I suspect it's happening because I'm using the "public" IP address... Besides, there wasn't any place to log in.

Am I right about the IP address? Or do I really have to create some account somewhere?

EDIT: Just felt necessary to mention, my IP address loads quite easily for the non-javascript version... but I can't do much with it :/

Last edited by alinexxmari; 01-11-2019 at 01:46 PM.
alinexxmari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:32 PM   #4
Angel Crawford
Enthusiast
Angel Crawford began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD 3
Hey, sorry for the late answer.

I got it. You have to do following steps:

- Open Calibre
- Open "Preferences" => "Sharing over the net"
-- Go to Tab "User accounts" and add a new user (the Box "Allow user to make changes" have to be ticked) => Apply
-- Go to Tab "Main" back => Tick the Box "Require username and password to access the content server"
-- Apply and restart Calibre

After restart, start the Content server, go to the IP adress of the Content Server. =)
Now you have to login, before you can choose a Calibre Library.
Add the Book again and it will instantly appear on the PC.
Angel Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, calibre, calibre companion, import to calibre