Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 10-28-2018, 05:51 PM   #1
ainent
ainent began at the beginning.

Device: paper books, iPad, iPhone
[iOS] Libreca for Calibre (CC alternative)

I have been working on an alternative to Calibre Companion for iOS. It is currently in a beta phase and is ready for more testers. If anyone would like to try it out, you can sign up here:

https://testflight.apple.com/join/c3P0zLb6

The current feature set lets you connect to your Calibre content server and view all of your books and some metadata. Many more features are planned for the future!

Note that for this first version, only unauthenticated content servers are supported.

Last edited by ainent; 11-21-2018 at 11:48 AM.
ainent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:12 PM   #2
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
No Android version? I would try one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
nimapourkarimi
Connoisseur
nimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad mini 3, Kindle PW2
Installed it, but it doesn't detect my calibre content server, checked my content server's url and everything is in order but it doesn't work, it just gets stuck at loading.
nimapourkarimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:16 PM   #4
ainent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimapourkarimi View Post
Installed it, but it doesn't detect my calibre content server, checked my content server's url and everything is in order but it doesn't work, it just gets stuck at loading.
Hello, thanks for trying it out. I’d be happy to help. Just to clarify, I have some questions for you:

Is there a specific error message, or does it just keep saying loading?

Did you include http:// or https:// at the beginning of the URL?

How large is your library?

Are you on the same network as your content server, or is the content server available publicly over the internet?

Edit:

If you copy the URL from the app into your preferred browser, does your library load there?

Do you have a username and password set up for the server, or is it unauthenticated?

Last edited by ainent; 10-30-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:17 PM   #5
ainent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nqk View Post
No Android version? I would try one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
At this time, it’s only for iOS.
Advert
Old 10-30-2018, 02:42 PM   #6
nimapourkarimi
Connoisseur
nimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainent View Post
Hello, thanks for trying it out. I’d be happy to help. Just to clarify, I have some questions for you:

Is there a specific error message, or does it just keep saying loading?

Did you include http:// or https:// at the beginning of the URL?

How large is your library?

Are you on the same network as your content server, or is the content server available publicly over the internet?

Edit:

If you copy the URL from the app into your preferred browser, does your library load there?

Do you have a username and password set up for the server, or is it unauthenticated?

1. It just keeps saying loading

2. tried both, no luck

3. 12643 books

4. I'm on the same network as my macbook pro on which calibre is installed and is running. And yes it loads on safari and google chrome on ios in seconds.

5. No username and password
Old 10-30-2018, 02:43 PM   #7
nimapourkarimi
Connoisseur

I suspect it's the size of the library.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #8
ainent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimapourkarimi View Post
I suspect it's the size of the library.
At 12643 books, I think you are correct. The app is trying to get all books in one go and just show them. I was not expecting a library that large, haha. I’ll see if the Calibre API has a way to retrieve small batches.

In the mean time, it should either eventually load them, or run out of memory trying and crash.

Thank you for the info, I’ll see what I can do.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:04 PM   #9
nimapourkarimi
Connoisseur

Quote:
At 12643 books, I think you are correct. The app is trying to get all books in one go and just show them. I was not expecting a library that large, haha. I’ll see if the Calibre API has a way to retrieve small batches.

In the mean time, it should either eventually load them, or run out of memory trying and crash.

Thank you for the info, I’ll see what I can do.
Thank you.

Last edited by nimapourkarimi; 10-30-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:53 PM   #10
ainent

Update:

I found something in the Calibre search API that looks potentially promising. I’ll keep you updated.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:08 AM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Moderator Notice
This thread is about a calibre-related tool, not CC. Moved to calibre's Related Tools forum.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:42 AM   #12
nimapourkarimi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Update:

I found something in the Calibre search API that looks potentially promising. I’ll keep you updated.
That's great news, thanks.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:00 PM   #13
ainent

So, here's my plan to fix this:
  • Paginate the book retrievals into smaller batches, this should fix continuous "loading" message
  • For book covers, default to retrieving the thumbnails (much smaller in size, but also lower resolution), and only retrieve full size for the details screen. I'll also add a setting so that you can turn on full size images, if you'd like.
    • This change alone brings RAM usage for my library of 267 books down from 319 MB to 38.3 MB.
    • Assuming my math is correct, that would mean the RAM usage for your library of 12,643 books would drop from 15.11 GB to 1.81 GB. The app would have ran out of memory and crashed long before hitting that 15 GB mark, and even still might if it were even trying to use 1.81 GB of RAM. However, I can mitigate that by clearing out RAM usage when it gets too high. The drawback to this is that it would result in more network data being used, so I'd recommend for you (and other users with library sizes of this caliber, pun intended) to prefer using this app over Wi-fi only.

I'm hoping to have a patch out for you within a few weeks.

In the meantime, I plan to go ahead and submit the app as-is to Apple for App Store approval, and release the patch when it is ready.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:41 PM   #14
ainent

The app is now available on the App Store!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/libr...439663115?mt=8
Old 11-03-2018, 09:53 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice

@ainent - I changed the thread title to something less confusing.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote