Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 08-09-2014, 04:37 AM   #1
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
CC V3.4.2 has been published

See the change log for details.

This release will be available on Google Play today (Saturday), and will be available on Amazon sometime early next week.

EDIT: The release is available on Amazon.

Last edited by chaley; 08-13-2014 at 12:41 PM. Reason: when and where available
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Congratulations on the release. Lots of nice new features.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
Congratulations on the release. Lots of nice new features.
And new parentheses as well.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
kaufman
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's what I meant. ☺

Just kidding, I hadn't noticed it yet. Thanks for that, too.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
chaley, I'm having real problems with this new release on my Onyx T68. When I go to the grouping drawer and tap on, say, "Authors", nothing happens. I wait a minute, then tap on "Groups" again. "Authors" then opens to show the initial letters, and immediately closes again. The entire UI of the grouping interface has become wildly erratic - I tap on things repeatedly and nothing happens, and then suddenly something will "catch up" and a node will expand, but usually the wrong one.

I was previously using 3.4.1 which worked absolutely fine with the same library of books. Unfortunately this release has made CC virtually unusable for me.

Edited to add: It works fine on the Nexus 7. Perhaps a low memory situation on the T68? Is there any reason this release would use more RAM than the last version did? Unfortunately, as I say, it's pretty much unusable now on the T68 .

Last edited by HarryT; 08-09-2014 at 02:00 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #6
kaufman

Did you try "cleaning the database"?
Old 08-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
Did you try "cleaning the database"?
How do I do that, please?

EDIT: never mind - found it. Running it now.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
kaufman

Settings->scroll to the bottom->clean book database
Old 08-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No joy, unfortunately. Still the same unusable interface after cleaning the database. Tried rebooting the T68, but no difference.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #10
kaufman

I had the same problem last week and I backed up my settings, uninstalled CC (which deleted my books), reinstalled CC, loaded my settings, reloaded my books.

Except for the pain of not having cc on my phone for 2 minutes, it worked with no problems and my slowness went away.

Someone said I should have tried cleaning my database, which is why I suggested it to you. Try the reinstall, that worked for me.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
chaley, I'm having real problems with this new release on my Onyx T68. When I go to the grouping drawer and tap on, say, "Authors", nothing happens. I wait a minute, then tap on "Groups" again. "Authors" then opens to show the initial letters, and immediately closes again. The entire UI of the grouping interface has become wildly erratic - I tap on things repeatedly and nothing happens, and then suddenly something will "catch up" and a node will expand, but usually the wrong one.

I was previously using 3.4.1 which worked absolutely fine with the same library of books. Unfortunately this release has made CC virtually unusable for me.

Edited to add: It works fine on the Nexus 7. Perhaps a low memory situation on the T68? Is there any reason this release would use more RAM than the last version did? Unfortunately, as I say, it's pretty much unusable now on the T68 .
There is nothing I can see between 3.4.1 and 3.4.2 that could cause what you are seeing. In fact, there are no changes at all in grouping and its database support. I wonder if somehow your installation has become corrupted. If so then it is worrying except for the fact that the T68 runs an ancient version of Android 4. Who knows what bugs are still in it? But that feels like trying to pass the buck, which isn't a good idea.

Please send me a debug log (Settings, scroll to the bottom, choose "Send a debug log", and erase the MultiPie address). With that I can at least see where the time is being spent and if CC is having internal problems.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:06 PM   #12
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
While impatiently waiting for the new version to appear on Amazon, I've been playing with the new features in the demo version from Google. I'm impressed with the new features, but have a small suggestion.

The new rotation setting defaults to not locked, which overrides the Android setting. I normally have rotation disabled, but Calibre Companion still allowed rotation until I changed the CC setting to lock in portrait mode. I suggest the default should be to match the system setting rather than explicitly enable rotation.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:21 AM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
While impatiently waiting for the new version to appear on Amazon, I've been playing with the new features in the demo version from Google. I'm impressed with the new features, but have a small suggestion.

The new rotation setting defaults to not locked, which overrides the Android setting. I normally have rotation disabled, but Calibre Companion still allowed rotation until I changed the CC setting to lock in portrait mode. I suggest the default should be to match the system setting rather than explicitly enable rotation.
Good point, and thanks. I will change CC so that if Display/Auto-rotate screen is off, CC does not change the current setting.

This change will be in the next CC release. I am not sure when that will be.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:33 AM   #14
kaufman

Hopefully not for a few months, since that will mean no big issues are discovered.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:30 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
There is nothing I can see between 3.4.1 and 3.4.2 that could cause what you are seeing. In fact, there are no changes at all in grouping and its database support. I wonder if somehow your installation has become corrupted. If so then it is worrying except for the fact that the T68 runs an ancient version of Android 4. Who knows what bugs are still in it? But that feels like trying to pass the buck, which isn't a good idea.

Please send me a debug log (Settings, scroll to the bottom, choose "Send a debug log", and erase the MultiPie address). With that I can at least see where the time is being spent and if CC is having internal problems.
Hi chaley,

I've no idea why, but today my T68 has started behaving itself again. Tabs in the grouping drawer are opening after a delay of about 4s, which is acceptable given the size of my library (currently 3560 books on the T68). All very strange - I'll keep an eye on it and send you a debug log if it starts misbehaving again.