Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-19-2018, 04:55 PM   #1
Marky Marc
Marky Marc began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad 5th generation
I updated metadata in Calibre, but books aren't updated on Ipad

I use Windows 10 to run the latest Calibre, and my Ipad 5th generation to run Marvin 3.

I have successfully edited the metadata in 400 books in Calibre, I copied the epub book files from the Calibre library on my PC, and pasted them into my Itunes file sharing space for the Marvin 3. I synced the updated books to Marvin, but none of the metadata on the books has updated.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get updated metadata?

Thank you very much for your help!
Marky Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:08 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre does NOT automatically update the Library copy.
Send to device, Save to Disk or Folder updates on the fly.

If you need to update the Library copy, then use one of the tools: Polish, embed metadata, Modify Epub (a plugin). Yo may need to add thes tools to toolbars /context menus. Preferences Toolbars: ...
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:15 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Calibre does not update the embedded metadata in the ebook format files - it updates its database. To embed the current metadata in the ebook format files you need to use one of the following tools:
  • Send to Device, that will embed the current metadata in the format file that is Sent but leave the library copy as is
  • Save to Disk, make sure you check the Preferences->Save to disk->Update metadata in saved copies setting. StD will also leave the library copy as is.
  • Embed Metadata (you may need to add it to a menu/toolbar), that will embed the metadata in the library copy of the format files.
  • Polish Books (you may need to add it to a menu/toolbar), has several run time options one of which is to update the metadata in the library copy of the format files. It can be used on EPUB and AZW formats
  • Modify optional plugin, it has many run time options options, one of which is to update the metadata in the library copy of the format files.
BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-19-2018 at 05:17 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:39 PM   #4
Marky Marc
Marky Marc began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad 5th generation
Thank you both very much for the reply and the direction!

Got it done!!!
Marky Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #5
jeffersonm
jeffersonm began at the beginning.

Device: None
I have been using Calibre for over 4 years on a Macbook Pro. Recently I switched to a Windows 10 machine. I am using the same workflow (update metadata (including Series and Series #), Polish, save to Disk, copy the save to disk file to Marvin through the add file function in iTunes). I never had a problem with the meta data moving over. When sorting by Series, the books are always available in series order. Now, in Windows 10, I have tried several times, but the books are only showing up under the Author view.

As I am new to the Windows 10 version of Calibre, I may be missing something unique. All help is appreciated.
jeffersonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Series is not a standard Dublin Core field. So while Calibre will embed the metadata with Polish, you must have done something else (a save template?) on your old machine to make your i-device happier.
You could have copied (exported) you preferences folder and used that (with minor path adjustments).

If you still have that old machine, copy the Calibre settings files that begin with "device_drivers....". Those are the settings saved for each type of your connected devices
Old 01-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
jeffersonm

Thank you. I honestly don't remember doing anything special, but I will check and see if those files will help.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:10 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jeffersonm - Calibre has an Export/Import tool that will move libraries and configuration data between computers. It is operating system agnostic, i.e. it can do Windows to Linux, Linux to Linux, MacOS to Windows etc.

If calibre is still working on your old MacBook, and you're not too invested in what you have on the new Windows machine, you might want to make use of the Import/Export tool. Then you'll retain any adjustments you made to calibre's settings over the four years of using it - including optional plugins and plugin configuration settings.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-11-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:44 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@jeffersonm - Calibre has an Export/Import tool that will move libraries and configuration data between computers. It is operating system agnostic, i.e. it can do Windows to Linux, Linux to Linux, MacOS to Windows etc.

If calibre is still working on your old MacBook, and you're not too invested in what you have on the new Windows machine, you might want to make use of the Import/Export tool. Then you'll retain any adjustments you made to calibre's settings over the four years of using it - including optional plugins and plugin configuration settings.

BR
BR you can just Export or restore selected items (assumes they were exported). No need to stomp the new Library, just to restore the configuration
Old 01-19-2019, 11:15 AM   #10
jeffersonm

I finally got around to restoring my Macbook Pro. I then exported the Calibre library (and I assume configuration as there was no choices of what to export). After transferring the export to my new Windows based machine I imported the data and tested with a new ebook (epub and Polished). Unfortunately, the behavior was exactly the same. The book is available in Marvin, but only under the Author view. The book's Series and Series Number fields were not populated.

Quote:

BR
Old 01-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@jeffersonm - as theducks wrote in post#6, series is not a standard Dublin Core field. So while Calibre will embed the metadata with Polish, you must have done something .... maybe in calibre. but more likely on your ipad, or in Marvin to make series display.

To check that series has been embedded in the EPUB, open it in the viewer and press Ctrl+I

BR
Old 01-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
@jeffersonm - as theducks wrote in post#6, series is not a standard Dublin Core field. So while Calibre will embed the metadata with Polish, you must have done something .... maybe in calibre. but more likely on your ipad, or in Marvin to make series display.

To check that series has been embedded in the EPUB, open it in the viewer and press Ctrl+I
Marvin 2/Classic and Marvin 3 both support Calibre's series metadata.

I downloaded some EPUBs from the Calibre server (which embeds cover and metadata on the fly) and imported to Marvin and the series info showed up.

P.S.
Marvin 2 displays the series info automatically.

To display series info on Marvin 3, go to General settings > List info line > Series. You need to use regular or large text list mode in order to view the info.

P.P.S.
I remember reading in the changelog that there's a minor bug in Polish on 3.38. It was fixed in 3.38.1 so make sure your Calibre is updated.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 01-19-2019 at 06:51 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:17 PM   #13
jeffersonm

Thank you all for the input and replies. I am using Marvin 2. I am not sure I am smart enough to do "something in Calibre". While I am interested in reading how others customize the program, I have basically just used the basic install.

I guess I will just add the Series info directly in Marvin as I add books.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:37 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonm View Post
Thank you all for the input and replies. I am using Marvin 2. I am not sure I am smart enough to do "something in Calibre". While I am interested in reading how others customize the program, I have basically just used the basic install.

I guess I will just add the Series info directly in Marvin as I add books.
What Ilovejed is saying, is Marvin reads Calibre series from embedded metadata.

This assumes:
1)You have set series(and index) in Calibre
2)You use a transfer method, not just doing an OS type copy . If you must work with the Library without using Send to device or save to disk, then you MUST us Polish or embed metadata to force the file copy to be updated ( Setting metadata does not automatically update the book on file)
Old 01-20-2019, 02:15 PM   #15
jeffersonm

I understand that an extra step must be taken, but does the Windows version of Calibre act different than the Mac version. I have imported all settings and am using the same workflow. That is what is confusing me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What Ilovejed is saying, is Marvin reads Calibre series from embedded metadata.

This assumes:
1)You have set series(and index) in Calibre
2)You use a transfer method, not just doing an OS type copy . If you must work with the Library without using Send to device or save to disk, then you MUST us Polish or embed metadata to force the file copy to be updated ( Setting metadata does not automatically update the book on file)