Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-12-2018, 05:02 PM   #1
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
T76ML Carta+ Update and misc. questions

Hi all!

Just got a T76ML Carta+ and from my last contact with Boox, software has been improved a lot. However it still has some issues.

For example, I have checked "Wake up. Open front light when wake up system", but it starts with the light off.

It says that long press of central button switches on the light: 99% times doesn't do it.

It came with Android 4.0.4 and seems the build number in OTA update is 2017-07-28_14-39_1.8.2_... Any manual installable new version available? Via OTA says no.

I have other questions as well, as the manual come in perfect Chinese...

A) On top bar, right side there are 3 circles. Leftmost is to clean RAM, central changes between two arrows and + - symbols and leftmost enables/disables the A2 mode. What does the central button?

B) Is possible that Native library show all the covers instead of show a generic icon? (As, by the way, does internal OReader library).

C) Is it possible to show the last book read cover on standby (as it does Kobo)?

D) I'm using OReader because it has the Chapter "marks" that more or less indicate the chapter reading progress, but seems does not update the reading statistics... Can the Neo Reader 2 (who seems updates the stats), have similar behavior? (What I would like is, as in Aura One, have the remaining pages in the chapter).

Thanks in advance.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:56 AM   #2
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, got the manual in English and got some answers:

A) Middle circle is to swap between volume/page for the side keys.
B) There is an option to rescan the metadata when selecting a book and press and hold on it (scans the entire library).
C) More or less, we can have some custom covers, but not book covers...

I still have question D) and still have problems with the central button and the screen light.

And one more: manual says the little mark in the central button is a led, but my led never goes on, not when charging, not when opening books, never.

Any ideas? Defective unit?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:08 AM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
A new toy
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:13 PM   #4
rfog
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
A new toy
Old 01-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
JIPG-reader
Zealot
JIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Ed2, Onyx Boox C67ML
Regarding the problem with the light , I have also seen it in a Tagus Iris 2017 (a cousin from yours ), so maybe is a software problem (very old by the way, because I had it (in another way) in a tagus lux 2015 (old boox C67ML). At the beginning, the light was always off when coming back from standby or starting, later is was changed (in other FW) to remain as it was when switched off or sent to standby. For me, this is the best situation (to let it as it was), but now it seems to be impossible with the options in the menu.
In the case of the tagus Iris 2017, it was even worse, as the light indication was as it was before going to standby (e.g. light on with three stripes), but actually the light was off!!!)

Anyway, pressing the central button should be enough to come back the light. Maybe you press too long the button?. In my tagus 2015, the "long press" is not too long.
JIPG-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:50 PM   #6
rfog
Guru

It seems a software problem, as I had it on once when removed the back cover (it is press-locked) to check the connections. I removed the battery cable to remove the electronic board and when connected the cable it lighted only for that start.

Related to the central button, in OReader does not work but works on Neo Reader 2. I said work because you must press twice to switch on it. First try fails but second works.

After sending it to sleep, suddenly it goes on, lights on about two seconds white the screensaver and then goes off. And this evening I've gone to pick it and was off but with the light on.

As a summary, Boox software is very crappy. It was some years ago when I had to ask for the SDK and make CoolReader not to hyphen because it was fixed to Russian, and still is crappy. It has improved, but not much.

And this is one of the reasons e-Ink does not gain more track. People buy one of this craps, and then a tablet (that has way better software) and throws away the ink device and never returns. Only Kindle, and in some way Kobo, has some track (at least software works almost perfect.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:40 PM   #7
rfog
Guru

More crap:

-Neo Reader 2 does not hyphenate Spanish correctly, and there is no option to disable it.

I'm going back to OReader...