Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-10-2017, 07:18 AM   #616
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Can you still see a gradient with the lights as low as possible or better completely off?
Completely off the gradient is naturally gone. Otherwise the gradient is less noticeable by either turning light up a lot or turning it down a little. The tradeoff of having the light much brighter than comfortable is not worth it to me personally.

So I end up turning the light down just enough for it to be still comfortable and easy to read. It doesn't take long for me to unsee the gradient after starting to read and get lost in the book. I also noticed that it is easier to see the gradient the more tired I am. If I am wide awake and go into a dark room and look for the gradient it is hardly there. As soon as I am ready to lay down in bed for a nap and start reading, the gradient is really obvious for maybe a page or so and goes into background noise after a page or two.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #617
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Just joined the new Oasis club...

After much gnashing of teeth and fretting over the high cost, I bit the bullet on Saturday and got the new Oasis as an early Christmas present. After reading about the issues that some folks here have had with theirs, I bypassed Amazon and bought mine at Best Buy; easier return if needed and the chnace to check the box before buying to make sure it’s not someone else’s reject.

I feel really lucky - the lighting looks even and I haven’t seen any other problems thus far (fingers crossed). I spent all yesterday updating the software then downloading my books (1000+) with no problems. I’ve had my books in collections since I migrated to Amazon from epubs so there was no chaos involved.

What I love: I don’t have really serious vision problems, but my eyes are definitely feeling their age, so I really appreciate the larger screem that puts more words on a page when I use a larger font. I am amazed by how lightweight it is after using a Paperwhite with the leather cover, but will have a better sense of the feel when my cover gets here tomorrow (a lightweight Fintie). I love the 32gb storage knowing that even with serious book hoarding there will always be more room.

I don’t see much difference in the lighting, but I don’t keep mine at the brightest level. I would say that my Paperwhite has a cooler light and the Oasis has a warmer light, but it’s a very subtle difference in shading. My Paperwhite has some some slight irrregularities (blotches?) but they were only visible at some settings and not at all noticable to me - I haven’t seen any on the Oasis so far.

What I don’t like: I find the metal edges somewhat unpleasant. They’re not sharp, but they should have been either flush with the top or made smooth. I’m hoping that the cover will make that less noticable when I hold it.

Verdict: Overall, positive, and I will end up keeping it. However, I’m not sure that it’s a good value for the high price. This e-reader would have been the gold standard had Amazon made it with Apple quality standards, not too much to ask in light of the fact that you can buy an iPad Mini for not very much more money. But since I much prefer to do most of my reading on an e-ink screen, it’s the best choice for me. If it lasts as long as my other readers, I’ll be happy.
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #618
vostro
Connoisseur
vostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Scribe,Elipsa,PWSE,FORMA,KOA2,KV,KA1, KAH2O, PW1-4, KA, AKT,
mine gradient is getting noticeable after one week usage, returned.
vostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:15 PM   #619
vostro
Connoisseur
vostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Scribe,Elipsa,PWSE,FORMA,KOA2,KV,KA1, KAH2O, PW1-4, KA, AKT,
reordered 32G-LTE version after returned 8G wifi version, new one has same gradient screen but slightly less noticeable.
vostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:25 PM   #620
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Find the lighting too harsh and blue

I bought one a few days ago. I have a Paperwhite (gathering dust) and a Kobo Aura H202. I thought this Oasis would replace both of those; like the fact that it has page turn buttons and a higher DPI than the Kobo.

I mostly read at night when my wife is asleep and the room is dark. The Kobo has the ability to adjust the color temperature on the front light, removing blue light. I have to say that having gotten used to that, I found the Kindle awful to look at in the dark, even with the brightness turned way down. I alternated for a couple of nights but I just can't deal with it. It seems more blue and "glary" than my Paperwhite, and is terrible compared to the Kobo. It's less of an issue during the day but even there I find the Kobo looks much more like paper, with the yellower lighting.

I'm going to have to wait for Amazon to adopt a similar approach to lighting before I can switch back. A pity because I really like the form factor; actually I liked everything. Just not that terrible light.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 04:29 AM   #621
Pamelala
Pamelala began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad Pro, Kindle Oasis 2
My Oasis has a yellowish light. I am getting a replacement because of a gradient and a darker corner so am curious how the light will be on the new one. I know from the first Oasis that the lighting differs on every device (had 3 of them but that lighting was terrible compared to the new Oasis is my opinion). So maybe you also can try a replacement?
Pamelala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #622
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamelala View Post
My Oasis has a yellowish light. I am getting a replacement because of a gradient and a darker corner so am curious how the light will be on the new one. I know from the first Oasis that the lighting differs on every device (had 3 of them but that lighting was terrible compared to the new Oasis is my opinion). So maybe you also can try a replacement?
Interesting. It's tempting but I still think I might wait until Amazon does something official in this space, as going through multiple units just to find one I like seems like a crapshoot. The Kobo has an adjustable gamut which allows me to turn off blue almost entirely at night, and get a very close to white color during the day. My old Paperwhite had a very close to white color too. The Oasis I have is distinctly blue. But even if were white, I think the Kobo has ruined me for night reading; anything non-yellow seems too harsh now. I would think that Amazon should be able to add this as a feature to a new version quite easily; it may even be possible to do it through a software update but that depends on the kind of LEDs they have used.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:36 PM   #623
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How about just a screen protector? Might give this a shot if you are worried about blue light:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076FFFGVD
Old 12-24-2017, 10:05 PM   #624
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
How about just a screen protector? Might give this a shot if you are worried about blue light:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076FFFGVD

If there is really UV light coming from the Oasis, we have a "whole 'nother problem" folks!
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:18 PM   #625
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
If there is really UV light coming from the Oasis, we have a "whole 'nother problem" folks!
Not really. All leds produce a small amount and emit an even smaller amount of UV light as opposed to oled which does not.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #626
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Not really. All leds produce a small amount and emit an even smaller amount of UV light as opposed to oled which does not.
Why would an IR (or any visible wavelength) LED emit any UV?

What makes OLED different from other LED as to wavelengths emitted?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:43 PM   #627
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Why would an IR (or any visible wavelength) LED emit any UV?

What makes OLED different from other LED as to wavelengths emitted?
Most white ones are putting off a very slight amount of UV (for practical purposes negligible small amounts) that we are dealing with in ereaders - far as I am aware none are mixing white with rgb leds.

The organic material in OLED does not spill over into the UV range.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:18 PM   #628
geekraver
Addict

I saw those on Amazon but I don't think they would make much difference and several people complain about how much glare they add (reflected external light). To give you an idea how different the Kobo and Oasis are, here they are side-by-side, with the Kobo set to about 1/3 of its "natural light" setting. I think you can see from this why I think the Kindle is actually the better day time device and the Kobo the better night time device - and as most of my reading is night time, the Kobo wins for now.

Actually I'm getting 500 errors from MobileRead when I try attach the image, and I can't find where to delete this message, just edit it. For now it is on Google Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dk1Gunmx7nQoAirC3

It's not exactly accurate but just using a color picker on that photo, I get for the Kindle:

R=234 G=235 B=229 (so this is a white light with a strong blue component)

And for the Kobo:

R=236 G=185 B=145

Surprisingly still quite high in blue but much lower than the Kindle.

I'd be interested to hear from people who think their Kindle has a more yellow or orange light how that compares to mine.

BTW if I set the "natural light" setting on the Kobo all the way down it looks pretty much like the Kindle, although the max brightness is not quite as bright.

Last edited by geekraver; 12-26-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:26 PM   #629
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Interesting. I never have seen a Kobo in real life, but just on those photos, it would be too "muddy", not having enough contrast with that brownish color. I also have the light lower on my Oasis than the pic. Well I assume so, as its difficult to photograph e-ink well. I usually go down to 7-8 on it in bed. Still having a side lamp though. I cannot read in total dark with my eyes.

But whats important are ones eyes. We are all different and we are comfortable with different things. I doubt I'll ever see a Kobo as they don't have them here in the stores and the few times I see anyone with a e-reader at all, its a Kindle. Most though either carry paperbooks or their phones it seems.

For me when I turn the light lower and lower, the contrast has to be pretty good, or it just gets blurry on my eyes. Its why I use the bold #3 settings at night. Pretty much all the time now though really. I could probably go to #4 at night and get really good contrast that way.
I don't see any blue on my screen though, its just white-ish. Not of any particular color that I can see. Now my old PW1, which is used by my husband looks really blue held up against my O2 at night. Its very obvious.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #630
geekraver
Addict

I thought it was the other way around, that the Oasis was more blue than the Paperwhite. Unfortunately I just sold my 300dpi Paperwhite. If I compare my wife's regular Paperwhite, it seems the same as the Kobo with natural light off, and they're actually all three pretty much the same except the Oasis is brighter at max setting.

The Kindle is definitely clearer (for starters, its 300dpi vs 268dpi).

I'm going to try a couple more nights and see if I can adapt.