Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
n33raj18
Super N00b
n33raj18 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Should I go for a replacement?

I bought a Kindle Paperwhite 2 from the US 40 days ago. I don't know how but it has developed a small crack on the screen.

Amazon - being the best customer oriented company I have ever come across - has offered to send me a free replacement. Well, excellent, you might think. Here's the catch.

I live in India. The cost of shipping back this Kindle to the States is half of what it cost me. My parents won't give me one more cent for a device they think is a total waste of money (Don't judge them). Amazon India won't entertain me because I didn't purchase it from them.

What I want from you guys is this.
- Please take a look at these pictures and tell me if I should get it replaced or not.
- Does it look like it will develop into a bigger crack later?
- Should Amazon not cover all the shipping costs? (I know that one's a little selfish on my part)

:help:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140827_133750.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	127364   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140827_133815.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	127365   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140827_133839.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	127366   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140827_130638.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	351.0 KB
ID:	127367  
n33raj18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Given that the shipping costs are so high I think it's reasonable that Amazon won't cover them. I doubt you'll get very far with that.

If it was me and I felt that I could afford the shipping I'd get the replacement. I place a pretty high value on reading and I'd find a crack like that to be a constant distraction. And I'd constantly worry it would get worse.

If I couldn't afford it at the time I'd live with it.

I have a Nook HD that I got about a year and a half ago. Actually I ended up with 2 of them, having also ordered one for someone else who changed their mind.

Anyway I dropped one and the screen has a little crack near the corner, quite a lot worse than yours, that prevents several entire columns of pixels from working. It's in an area that isn't much affected by most apps and isn't in the way of reading and is still fine for watching videos, which is my main use for it, but still, I've rarely used it since it cracked. I use the other one instead.

There's no reason for that. Most of the things I used it for weren't hampered by the bad area on the screen. It's on the edge and it's not a real problem. It just bugs me so I don't use it much. It's spoiled for me.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:13 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by n33raj18 View Post
- Does it look like it will develop into a bigger crack later?
If it's truly a crack it could. I looks more like a scratch in the light guide layer to me, going by the photos.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
n33raj18
Super N00b

I'm afraid that shipping it back isn't really an option until I get a job myself.

The crack isn't really distracting. When the frontlight is less than 12, it's barely visible.
My real concern is that this "small" crack would develop into a bigger one and render my Kindle totally useless. Is that really a possibility or am I thinking too much into this issue?
Old 08-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I agree, it does look like a crack in the light layer. I've never seen a crack that looks anything like that on the visible portion of the eInk screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:23 PM   #6
n33raj18
Super N00b

The light guide layer you say. I read somewhere on these forums that there's the plastic layer on top and then the glass layer below it. According to that post if the glass layer's broken then there's a problem.

Thank you guys for taking a look. I guess what I can do is just keep enjoying reading on this wonderful device till the day it will let me.

You all have a wonderful day/night

Last edited by n33raj18; 08-27-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #7
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
If the glass layer that is part of the eink screen is cracked you'd see a much bigger problem. I agree, keep it.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing to try is running a little bit of Vaseline in the scratch. It should make the scratch much less noticeable.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #9
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
As you say, Amazon is a wonderful company. Contact their customer service once again and explain to them what you've written here - you have nothing to lose. Amazon has been known to offer assistance in similar circumstances.

I once had a defective Amazon electronic product and without asking, they refunded the original shipping price (i.e. the cost to return the faulty unit) and sent a new one.

The small crack is a defect which will bother you over time.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:45 PM   #10
kristalana
Groupie
kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Galaxy Tab Pro
If it was defective as purchased then they should cover all the shipping costs, but the crack recently showed up, right? That's a really tough one. I know I wouldn't be able to get used to the crack in the screen. I'll second joehunt and say contact Amazon again. They're seriously accommodating and even if they say no, you're no worse off than you are now.
kristalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #11
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I guess you can just use it now and see if it gets worse. Assuming they honor the warranty for you like anyone else, one year, then you would still be in the same boat 2 months from now, or 3 months from now.
Sounds like its not bothering you while reading. Obviously if you lived in the US, that wouldn't be an issue with replacing.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #12
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Amazon claims to be Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company. If true, n33raj18 should be able to send to the Amazon fulfillment center in Mumbai.

But it may be not true

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 08-27-2014 at 08:02 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I agree with the people above who said that looks like a scratch, not a glass crack. The first thing you need to do is get a good case for it or for whatever you replace it with.

I wouldn't expect Amazon to be obliged to pay for shipping or for a replacement - a scratch is user damage, not a manufacturing defect. Anything they do for you will be out of goodwill.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:50 AM   #14
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
In your 4th photo I can see what looks like the shadow of the scratch on the back layer. If so, that confirms it as a surface scratch which shouldn't get worse.

As others have said though, get a case, these things are vulnerable.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:18 AM   #15
n33raj18
Super N00b

I'm ordering a case for Kindle to prevent any further harm. And about that crack/scratch, I'm pretty sure I have had it for some time now and never quite took it seriously. As can be seen from the photo with the frontlight turned down, it's not noticeable. And I have never used my Kindle with a more than 9 setting. But when the frontlight is turned all the way up a little light seems to be seeping out (light "seeps out", right?)

I have decided to keep using it as long as that crack/scratch doesn't change its size. I'll contact the Amazon Help if it does. I'll report back with their take on my request to cover shipping. You know, just for the record.

Thank you all for the help.

Tags
amazon, cracked, kindle, pw2, screen