Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #46
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfkfak View Post
Can anyone help me on this.
Thanks
Here's the steps I went through:

1. Download the advboot file for your firmware version

2. Download the script file for Advboot and Koreader -- it's near the bottom of the first message in this thread. You will notice the advboot files creates several directories in the .kobo directory but they are empty. This file adds the needed content.

3. Download Koreader

3. Open the advbootwhatever.zip file, copy the koboroot.tgz file to the .kobo directory on your ereader. safely disconnect your ereader and let the update run. Once it's done, reconnect the ereader to your computer.

4. Open the advboot_script_reader .zip file and copy the .kobo directory to your ereader.

5. Open the Koreader archive and copy the koreader folder to the .kobo directory on your ereader.

6. Disconnect your ereader from your computer and power cycle the ereader. When it boots up, you should see two big buttons, one with a Kobo logo, the other with a Koreader logo.

7. Touch the one for the reading software you want to run and have fun.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 08-27-2014 at 09:50 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Advboot for firmware 3.8.0

I've tried to simplify the installation for use with Kobo firmware 3.8.0. Basically, instead of the rcS file in one archive and the Koreader script files in another archive, I've generated a single file that installs both at the same time. In theory, this will work for the Kobo H2O as well but don't have one to test -- as yet.

So simplified install process:

Download the advboot_380.zip file attached to this message.
Download Koreader -- see the Koreader thread for location.

Connect your Kobo ereader to your computer.

Unpack the Koreader archive and copy the koreader directory to your Kobo's .kobo directory.

Open the advboot_380.zip file and copy the koboroot.tgz file to your Kobo's .kobo directory.

Safely disconnect your ereader from the computer and let it install. On power on, you should now see two buttons, one to run the Kobo firmware, the other to run Koreader.

Have fun...

edit0: added |dahlia in a couple of places so hopefully will run on the Aura H20 when it is released.

edit1: the rcS file for 3.7.0, 3.8.0 and 3.11.0 are the same so this will work with all of them.

edit2: when I added the |dahlia references, I also changed the last advboot entry to run pre-run instead of post_run scripts. That's now fixed up. Thanks for traycold for the sharp eyes!

Regards,
David
Attached Files
File Type: zip advboot_380.zip (347.0 KB, 1295 views)

Last edited by DNSB; 10-21-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Advert
Old 08-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #48
Ebri
Groupie
Ebri began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura HD
Is restart possible by menu somehow, or it can only be done by long pressing the top slider once to power off, and once to power up?
Ebri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #49
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebri View Post
Is restart possible by menu somehow, or it can only be done by long pressing the top slider once to power off, and once to power up?
Long press the top slider or use the pinhole reset.

Regards,
David
Old 08-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #50
Ebri
Groupie

Thank you, I tried to describe the first method . (I hoped there is sg. like "Restart Kindle" in the PW2 menu.)
Advert
Old 08-30-2014, 02:46 AM   #51
ikkentobi
Enthusiast
ikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-books

Device: kobo h2o, kobo aura hd, onyx t68
This is a pretty cool work, installed it according to the instructions without problems on my Aura HD (firmware 3.8.0).

Usually I use Coolreader for reading, but it is still accessible via nickel and the launcher method.

Thx for providing this!
ikkentobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:50 AM   #52
Ebri
Groupie

Advboot works great, but when I exit from koreader I usually do it to return to nickel, so I changed /mnt/busybox poweroff to /mnt/busybox reboot. Do you not plan to implement a switch somethere whether user would power off or reboot?

(For me it is no problem, I already changed the script to my taste, I hope it will work )
Old 09-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #53
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
It is possible that someone write a script to run CoolReader with Advboot ? I do not know how write.

Thanks for the job
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #54
Ebri
Groupie

Changing the script to add the launcher should not be very complicated, but I am unsure about adding a pic and the coordinates.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:11 AM   #55
Don_Karnage
Enthusiast
Don_Karnage began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360 , kobo glo
yes if someone could make a version with 3 image trigger , it would be great.
like coolreader koreader and kobo..
also many time after a power off or between a reboot , my kobo glo ask me if i want to perform a factory reset ... would it be possible to remove this or improve the Power-off/reboot.
thx for this great alternative
Don_Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #56
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Karnage View Post
also many time after a power off or between a reboot , my kobo glo ask me if i want to perform a factory reset
Solution 1: Do not launch Koreader (or any alternative reader) more than four times in a row without starting nickel in between.

Solution 2: Replace
Code:
/usr/local/Kobo/pickel should-factory-reset
if [ $? == 1 ] || [ $FS_CORRUPT == 1 ]; then
of rcS (you find it in the advboot package)
by
Code:
#/usr/local/Kobo/pickel should-factory-reset
if [ $FS_CORRUPT == 1 ]; then
Explanation: "pickel should-factory-reset" checks how many times the device has rebooted without nickel running successfully.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:38 PM   #57
j0y
j0y began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I've tried to simplify the installation for use with Kobo firmware 3.8.0. Basically, instead of the rcS file in one archive and the Koreader script files in another archive, I've generated a single file that installs both at the same time. In theory, this will work for the Kobo H2O as well but don't have one to test -- as yet.

So simplified install process:

Download the advboot_380.zip file attached to this message.
Download Koreader -- see the Koreader thread for location.

Connect your Kobo ereader to your computer.

Unpack the Koreader archive and copy the koreader directory to your Kobo's .kobo directory.

Open the advboot_380.zip file and copy the koboroot.tgz file to your Kobo's .kobo directory.

Safely disconnect your ereader from the computer and let it install. On power on, you should now see two buttons, one to run the Kobo firmware, the other to run Koreader.

Have fun...

edit: added |dahlia in a couple of places so hopefully will run on the Aura H20 when it is released.

Regards,
David
I tried this method in my Kobo Aura H2O (firmware is 3.7.0, I tried it anyway because there wasn't another specified version of the advboot for it). It worked well, untill I tapped the "Koreader" button. It led me to an unresponsive screnn of the File Manager. So I tried this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Find in koreader/frontend/ui/input.lua
Code:
-- For single-touch events (ABS.code).
local ABS_X = 00
local ABS_Y = 01
and exchange the values of ABS_X and ABS_Y:
Code:
-- For single-touch events (ABS.code).
local ABS_X = 01
local ABS_Y = 00
It didn't work, though. I'm still stuck in the File Manager screen. Do you know how I could fix this?
I've reset it anyway.
j0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:58 PM   #58
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0y View Post
I tried this method in my Kobo Aura H2O (firmware is 3.7.0, I tried it anyway because there wasn't another specified version of the advboot for it). It worked well, untill I tapped the "Koreader" button. It led me to an unresponsive screnn of the File Manager. So I tried this:

It didn't work, though. I'm still stuck in the File Manager screen. Do you know how I could fix this?
I've reset it anyway.
Make sure you have at least v841 of koreader which has dahlia added to the code names list. Thanks to Frenzie for that update!

See Koreader 849 Nightly to download a version that works with my Aura H2O.

I would recommend updating to 3.8.0 though I seem to remember that the 3.7.0 and 3.8.0 rcS files were the same so should not be an issue.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #59
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Note that I also updated the bezel in the meantime, so the only remaining issue I'm aware of is related to sleeping.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:50 AM   #60
j0y
j0y began at the beginning.

Thanks, I'll try that soon!
j0y is offline   Reply With Quote