Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
pulsar
Connoisseur
pulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfolded

Device: kindle 3, kobo vox
adb over USB for Kobo Vox

adb is a great way to debug Android devices (even with no root access), including Kobo Vox. See some details here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/ADB. For any adb debugging, you have to enable "USB debugging" in the "Development" section of the System Settings on your Kobo Vox.

You can use install adbwireless apk and do it over WiFi, but in some cases (like when WiFi doesn't work) you may need the adb over USB way.

It's supposed to work under Windows, but I couldn't make it work (google USB drivers didn't work), so I ended up installing Linux on my laptop (first I shrunk the Windows XP partition, using Gparted software ran from a CD), and after some tinkering I made adb over USB work, under Linux. Here are the short instructions.

Your Linux box should have development packages installed (at the very least JDK - java development kit).

All these commands should be executed on your Linux box. Download Linux Android SDK tgz archive from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html .

Code:
tar xvzf android*.tgz

export PATH=$HOME/android-sdk-linux/tools:$HOME/android-sdk-linux/platform/tools:$PATH

android
Mark "Android 2.3.3", "Android SDK Tools", "Android SDK Platform-Tools", all "Extras". Install all.

This was a tricky one. I found the instructions on the web, and it worked for me. The idVendor corresponds to Kobo. You need to login as root to your Linux box to execute this command:

Code:
echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="2237", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"' >> /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
Here again I'm using the Kobo id. Sometimes the file is reset, so I have to repeat this command again:

Code:
echo 0x2237 >> ~/.android/adb_usb.ini

adb kill-server
adb start-server
Attach Kobo Vox to the Linux box using a USB cable. Don't click "Access files" on your Kobo unit.

Code:
adb devices
Should print something meaningful (not an empty list).

Code:
adb shell
At this point, stop all the non-essential running processes on Kobo (using System settings), and turn off the WiFi - just in case. Insert an >=8GB micro-SD card into the external card slot on Kobo.

Creating a clone of the internal micro-SD card:

Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk1 bs=4096
This will take ~30 minutes, and should print that it successfully copied ~8GB of data at the end. There should be no error messages!

Last edited by pulsar; 11-21-2011 at 10:52 AM.
pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
Yay!!! It was the udev rule! :-) Too used to plug-and-play!
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
poupou
poupou began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Vox, Sony PRS505, Nexus S, Nokia N800, Palm T2
Thumbs up Mac OSX

Many thanks.

Code:
echo 0x2237 >> ~/.android/adb_usb.ini

adb kill-server
adb start-server
In case anyone wonders the above will also works for Mac OSX users and will get you:

Code:
adb devices

List of devices attached 
0123456789ABCDEF	device
poupou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:58 AM   #4
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
I didn't do a lot of that stuff and it works fine for me. I simply used lsusb to get the vender and product IDs and plugged them in.

Code:
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2237", ATTRS{idProduct}=="2208", MODE="0666", OWNER="yourusernamehere"
You can use OWNER or GROUP, if you're experienced with UNIX, you know what the difference is, otherwise just use OWNER and put your username in.

Didn't have to do all that other stuff with adb_usb.ini or starting and stopping the adb server.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
bitterbug
bitterbug began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 / Kobo Vox
Will we have to wait for a specific Windows driver to be created for adb?
I was trying to sideload some stuff I built in the Corona framework and that kept failing for me, so I figured I'd try experimenting right in the JDK. I get the impression that won't work until I get a Windows x86 driver for Win7.

Am I SOL for the time being?
bitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert