Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-24-2020, 11:08 AM   #16
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Hi Reader Pro, Boox Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
On the warm light issue...
Using the built in light, I prefer reading on an A5 at night compared to any other e-ink device I've owned (including Kindle Oasis 1/2, Voyage, Boox Nova 2).

On those devices, the lighting is more harsh that the A5 IMO. Including the Nova 2 which has warm light.

When reading in the dark, it works well to set the background as grey. I've set this up as a 'night mode' in MoonReader+.

The Hisense phones are also much more robust than most ereaders (mine is always in my pocket). And it's great to have the page turn buttons in an ergonomic position (and remote compatibility).

The 16:9 ratio is good for readability, as line lengths should be fairly short. But not good for things with fixed layouts based on traditional paper sizes - like manga.

The things I don't like about the A5:
- low PPI (now fixed on the A7)
- that the screen is only matte because they've applied a screen protector at the factory
- it has a bunch of things I've paid for and carry but will never use (cameras, speaker, mic, sim slot, modem)
- under direct sunlight the screen needs to be regularly manually cleared
- no usb-c or quick charge (now fixed on the A7)
- although I like the tone of the A5 lighting, it's not as uniform as on other modern e-readers

I'll only be tempted to upgrade by a significantly improved model that's a similar size to the A5. It's not perfect, but I still love my A5.

Last edited by rowe; 12-24-2020 at 11:24 AM.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #17
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqman View Post
With the release of A7, the new features were ported to A5 models as well.

I've updated mine to version 2020.12.22.
I'm currently installing the update for my A5 Pro CC.

Sadly, there is no new update for my regular A5 model and hasn't been since September. It's still on version: L1657.6.11.01.00.

However, I'm pretty pleased with my regular A5 the way it is so it's not a complaint, just a clarification that the updates are only for the newer models of the A5 family.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2020, 09:06 PM   #18
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowe View Post

The 16:9 ratio is good for readability, as line lengths should be fairly short. But not good for things with fixed layouts based on traditional paper sizes - like manga.
Perhaps I'm a weirdo, but I find my eInk kindles way nicer to read on when it comes to aspect ratio than my ... 18.5:9 I think Pixel 3a or 19.5:9 Pixel 4a that I replaced it with.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 04:30 AM   #19
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by epaper View Post
i agree. the ratio of the kindle and other ereaders is best for reading. similar to a real book.
As mentioned above, real books are not 4:3, and the page block of real books is much closer to 16:9.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 09:32 AM   #20
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle DXG, Onyx Boox Max1, Max2, Nova, Hisense A5 Pro
A7 vs A5

F.Y.R.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vs.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	184254  
cqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2020, 10:27 AM   #21
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
As mentioned above, real books are not 4:3, and the page block of real books is much closer to 16:9.
The most similar format to a book results from 4: 3 landscape format in two columns: results in approximately two times 14: 9.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:02 AM   #22
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
No news yet about a global release, which is a bit of a letdown. I'm still hoping for one. but not holding my breath.

In the meantime, here's a video in Chinese where a guy compares the A5 to the A7. You can clearly see the difference in size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmPzxgJAtiU
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:43 AM   #23
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
To my eyes the A5 display looks better. Thanks for the link kandwo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	184514  
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:07 AM   #24
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
To my eyes the A5 display looks better. Thanks for the link kandwo.
Do you mean the size? The A7 is supposed to have a higher resolution screen with 300 ppi instead of the 273 (?) ppi of the A5. I don't know if this translates into a big difference in practice, though. I'll have to compare the A5, when it arrives, to my 300 ppi e-readers - hopefully it's not too much of a downgrade in resolution (on the other hand the popular Note Air has even lower ppi).

I find it amusing that in some of these videos, when the presenter holds up the phone it's almost bigger than the size of their head! It just seems massive.

Still hoping it becomes a huge hit to increase the chances of a global release. Maybe they are waiting for the colour version to be released first. But as for now it looks like there won't be anything other than a Chinese version.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:11 AM   #25
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
The color temperature is what I commented on; it looked better to my eyes. I won't buy the A7, but the 300 ppi you talk about, that's a good sign for devices to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
Still hoping it becomes a huge hit to increase the chances of a global release.
Amen!
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:35 PM   #26
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
hopefully it's not too much of a downgrade in resolution (on the other hand the popular Note Air has even lower ppi).
Usually viewed from a greater distance than a smartphone.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:47 PM   #27
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Man, the Hisense A7 is bigger than the Nexus 6 albeit thinner than the Nexus 6 is at its thinnest point... That's gotta be awkward to use considering the Nexus 6 was too big.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:31 PM   #28
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
That's gotta be awkward to use considering the Nexus 6 was too big.
Not sure whom such a sized device would appeal to. Too big to comfortably fit into most pockets and thus not the most practical phone. Too small to replace a tablet or larger ereading device for those times when one needs greater screen real estate such as when reading a PDF.

I actually would have been happier if they had produced a device smaller than the A5. Just as well they didn't, otherwise I might have been tempted to part with more money.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:27 PM   #29
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer

Then again, I have put a 6 inch e-reader into a pants pocket.

And it does seem that phone manufacturers think bigger is better
Old 01-06-2021, 05:15 AM   #30
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Man, the Hisense A7 is bigger than the Nexus 6 albeit thinner than the Nexus 6 is at its thinnest point... That's gotta be awkward to use considering the Nexus 6 was too big.
On the one hand it is much too big and too heavy for me:
- for my smartphone applications - mainly phone calls, mobile hotspot, GPS - I use a 100g smartphone with a 3 inch screen, which I can comfortably have with me in my shirt pocket.

On the other hand too small:
- I prefer devices from 8 inches (4: 3 - 8: 5).

I only take my Boox Poke 3 with me when I want to read on the go.