Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2019, 02:26 PM   #601
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Back on topic, please.
Dang it! Just when I started to have some fun! I don't own a Libra so I can't chime in on a serious discussion, but I'm good at dissing
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:09 AM   #602
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
I have just moved from an iPad Mini running Marvin as my book reader to a Libra. So far I like the Libra but do miss a couple of things that were easy to do on the iPad. In some respects I am finding the screen a little smaller that I am used to and as a result am turning pages more often, I should have had a longer look at the Forma and dug deeper into my wallet. The thing that I find difficult is the font size adjuster as a slider I find it difficult to control the movement it is a shame a tap on the plus / minus does not alter the font size. I suspect I will get used to it but I do like the lighter weight and longer battery life over the iPad.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2019, 02:14 AM   #603
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrider View Post
The thing that I find difficult is the font size adjuster as a slider I find it difficult to control the movement it is a shame a tap on the plus / minus does not alter the font size.

Really? That seems odd indeed. Tapping the +/- on the font slider does have the expected effect on my H2O2, I wonder why it's different on the Forma?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:02 AM   #604
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrider View Post
The thing that I find difficult is the font size adjuster as a slider I find it difficult to control the movement it is a shame a tap on the plus / minus does not alter the font size.
That is very odd. When using my Clara HD, tapping the plus/minus does change the font size. Perhaps you might want to try again???
HolyAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:23 AM   #605
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Tapping on the symbols does work but Kobo should have a look at the tap regions there. They should increase the tap region for the + tap especially. Too frequently for me, tapping on the + symbol results in either nothing happening or blasting it up to full brightness.

They could also 'fix' it if you could only put the brightness at 0% or 100% by pushing the slider to either end. Either that or rearrange the menu. It does annoy me. I only use the menu to control the brightness, because I find the left screen edge swipe even worse to use.

EDIT: I thought the discussion was about the brightness controls, but I now see it was about the font size controls!

Last edited by tourneur; 12-13-2019 at 03:28 AM.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2019, 09:33 AM   #606
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Tourneur, I have the same problem with the brightness adjustment on my Clara - I try to tap the minus or plus and accidentally set it all the way to dark or bright.
I have a hard time getting my finger in the right place for left side swipe. I think my problem is that the area that needs to be swiped is a little farther from the bezel than I would like, and I end up incorrectly swiping in a dead area close to the bezel and nothing happens.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #607
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I just received my Kobo Libra H2O.

First impressions, I really like it. I absolutely love the huge side bezel. So easy to get a good grip on the device. There's a very slight shadow on the thick bezel side but overall, the lighting is pretty even. Certainly much better than the uber splotchy original Paperwhite. I use Night Shift on my tablets and it's nice to be able to do something similar with my readers. The buttons are great. I haven't messed with patches yet and it's looking like I won't need to. On the Aura HD and Glo HD, I had to patch to get the tap zones to make them comfortable/easy to use. With the page turn buttons, there's no need to.

Haven't really put it through its paces yet. I'm at the office so I even had to tether it to my phone for setup. So far so good though.

Do hope it goes on sale as it looks like I'll be buying another as backup. I've been second guessing reordering the Clara HD after I cancelled my previous backorder but I'm definitely on the Libra H2O camp now.

Hoping the Dropbox sync feature on the Forma makes its way to other Kobos soon.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #608
mrkapqa
mrkapqa began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-t1, prs-t3,
Hello , i have a question:

Am interested in buying a Kobo Libra, but i would like an ereader on which it is possible to entirely shut-off the backlighting/frontlight.
I am coming from various Sony PRS-Readers and used also older Kindle Readers like the Keyboard or DX.
Found that on the newer 2019? Amazon Basic Kindle it is not possible to shutoff the backlighting so found it quite disturbing to read on it night.
mrkapqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:55 PM   #609
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Sorry if someone said/asked, does it allow skipping pages underwater or does the touchscreen screw with the operation when it's submerged?
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:47 PM   #610
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkapqa View Post
Am interested in buying a Kobo Libra, but i would like an ereader on which it is possible to entirely shut-off the backlighting/frontlight.
All the Kobo devices can have their light turned off.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:42 PM   #611
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
Sorry if someone said/asked, does it allow skipping pages underwater or does the touchscreen screw with the operation when it's submerged?
Are you trying to teach dolphins literacy? That would be neat, but you'll probably need something ore custom than an off the shelf kobo.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:16 AM   #612
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
The touchscreen does not work underwater, but the buttons do work.
HolyAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:07 PM   #613
mrkapqa
mrkapqa began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-t1, prs-t3,
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
All the Kobo devices can have their light turned off.
thanks, at night, under a blanket, you would most probably not see much on a kobo with the light turned off?
mrkapqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:20 PM   #614
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
thanks, at night, under a blanket, you would most probably not see much on a kobo with the light turned off?
That seems a fair assumption. Why would you want to turn the lighting off in that circumstance?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:26 PM   #615
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
If you are in a dark room with no light, you won't be able to see the ereader, let alone the text. Which would be exactly the same as for a paper book.

An ereader without a light is pretty comparable to a paper book for the lighting conditions needed to read the screen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote