Notices

Old 10-30-2019, 06:18 PM   #481
Fozkas
Connoisseur
Fozkas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The battery life for the Libra H2O will be shorter than for the Clara HD for the simple reason it as a smaller battery. They are 1200mAh and 1500mAh respectively. That means the Libra H2O would have 20% runtime less assuming everything else was equal.

But, 32 hours of reading for these sort of devices is excellent. When Kobo claimed an actual runtime rather than "weeks", they used 30 minutes per day. And that is how Amazon still calculate the runtime for Kindles. 32 hours works out as over 60 days. That is what Kobo claimed for the Touch and Glo.
Didn't know ot was actually smaller.

I thought it was because there are more lights and the screen is bigger.

Even so, I'm not really complaining. Just comparing.

I expect at least 3 to 4 weeks and 40h of reading time, and I'm close to that. Not having to charge every other day already is a massive plus on these days
Fozkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:58 PM   #482
Parker Lewis
Parker Lewis began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
Yes, I felt the exact same way about the Libra. I'm also not convinced the lighting issue will be solved in time. I think they will leave it like this since there are lots of people who aren't bothered by it.

I bought a Kindle Oasis 3 after I returned the Libra and I'm very happy with it. The lighting is practically even and the warm light is perfect. I'm not a fan of the black front (you see every fingerprint), but I got a skin so now I'm very happy with it.

Perhaps it's worth thinking about getting an Oasis?
I will probably end up with an Oasis 3, though some people have apparently had gradient/uniformity issues with those so that might be another lottery in itself.

It's a little disappointing to think about spending almost an extra $100 for the Oasis over the Libra when I prefer almost everything about the Libra other than the lighting uniformity.

I'll likely try 1 or 2 other Libra units first and hope that maybe I get one with a more even lighting system, but if those don't pan out then the O3 seems like my only option for a 7" reader with a warm light feature at this point.
Parker Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2019, 10:19 PM   #483
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Lewis View Post
I will probably end up with an Oasis 3, though some people have apparently had gradient/uniformity issues with those so that might be another lottery in itself.

It's a little disappointing to think about spending almost an extra $100 for the Oasis over the Libra when I prefer almost everything about the Libra other than the lighting uniformity.

I'll likely try 1 or 2 other Libra units first and hope that maybe I get one with a more even lighting system, but if those don't pan out then the O3 seems like my only option for a 7" reader with a warm light feature at this point.
Honestly, try the Libra. Some people are sensitive to the defects, others aren't, and since they're difficult to capture accurately with photos and it's rather hard to get ever MR user together in a room to physically compare, it's hard to say for sure how bad the line as a whole is. Initial reports from reviewers stated the issue wasn't there.

I also am on a second Forma (USB port went bust on the first) and neither has a defect to the degree that it'd bother me. The lighting does seem different on the new one, but I literally have to hold them next to each other to even see this, setting it up on its own I didn't notice a difference.

Having the comfort light at 10-20 percent, which doesn't add a whole lot of orange, also cuts down on the issue.

And finally if you really have an issue with it, I'd suggest trying inverted mode (which is something you can easily enable with a patch or by searching for "devmodeon" from the Kobo home screen then going to Settings-Device Information-Developer Options- and enabling invert mode, the patch puts this setting in reading settings in place of ADE page numbers). Personally I prefer white text on a black background anyway, that this seems to even further make the unevenness less noticeable is just a perk.

Yes in an ideal world it'd just be perfectly even.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:18 AM   #484
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Lewis View Post

Oh yes, I tried 4 Oases before I decided on this one. But that was more because of the screen color than the gradient. Some were really yellow and one did have a yellow/greenish hue at one side.
Mine has a slight gradient but way less than the Libra.

For me it was the choice between a prettier device with nice features (loved the fact you could change the screensaver on the Kobo) or the nicer screen. I ended up deciding the screen was more important when I'm reading. But it's a tough choice so I get it.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:12 AM   #485
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I usually read left handed - that means with the leds on the left-hand side.

Since I've been operated on my left thumb a week ago, I've been reading right handed, and discovered that there was a noticeable light gradient (grayer on the far side from the leds) I hadn't noticed before when reading at night, with very low lighting at my left hand. I think it is because when on the same side, the side light compensates the gradient. I only notice it the first time I turn the reader, and forget it while reading so it doesn't bother me.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2019, 10:43 PM   #486
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I had the Libra for a few days. I decided to return it for a couple of reasons. First of all, the buttons were not well positions for my hand. Second, I found the display was slightly greyer on one side of the screen than the other (maybe an optical illusion).
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:23 AM   #487
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
I had the Libra for a few days. I decided to return it for a couple of reasons. First of all, the buttons were not well positions for my hand. Second, I found the display was slightly greyer on one side of the screen than the other (maybe an optical illusion).
Lots of readers on this forum have commented on this, so it's not just you. I still hope that they will fix this someday, but I doubt it.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:49 AM   #488
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I swapped the buttons next/prior, I'm using my thumb for next. Mostly hold it in my left hand though I'm right handed.
I'm no slouch at complaining, but I think the buttons and light are fine, though I only occasionally use the front light.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:19 AM   #489
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I love Kobo devices, but to this date I have never seen a Kobo e-reader with perfectlty even lighting. Have you?
I've owned two Kobos: the original 6" Aura and the Clara and the frontlight for both are fine. They are as good as the frontlight on my Nook ST, Glowlight Plus (2015), Glowlight 3 and Kindle Paperwhite 3.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #490
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I bought a Kindle Oasis 3 after I returned the Libra and I'm very happy with it. The lighting is practically even and the warm light is perfect. I'm not a fan of the black front (you see every fingerprint), but I got a skin so now I'm very happy with it.

Perhaps it's worth thinking about getting an Oasis?
You really cannot compare the Libra to the Oasis as the software is completely different. One reason I got my H2O was because it was not a Kindle. So getting an oasis instead f a Libra doesn't work for everyone even though the hardware is similar.

As for your Oasis, the bezel needs to be cleaned. It's got some kind of crud all over it
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:32 AM   #491
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You really cannot compare the Libra to the Oasis as the software is completely different.
I've never known you to let that stop you from comparing different devices

Look, I prefer Kobos to Kindles myself. But things that are important to you and me aren't as important to others.

Clearly she is more worried about the lighting than the software.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #492
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
My favorite part is he does it in the very next sentence.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #493
SusanReads
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

Look, I prefer Kobos to Kindles myself. But things that are important to you and me aren't as important to others.

Clearly she is more worried about the lighting than the software.
It's actually quite a struggle for me to decide what I find more important, the screen (lighting) or the features. I love Kobo software, the ability to patch things, the screensaver option, the way the books are displayed in my collections. Lots of things to love! But.. I do think that the screen of my Kindles is better than the Kobos I've tried. And that makes me sad. I would love a Kobo with the screen quality of the Kindle.

So I guess you can't compare the Libra with the Oasis, but for me it was a tough decision between the two. So that's why I recommended the Oasis as an alternative if someone has issues with the Libra.

But I still think I might try a Libra again someday to see if the lighting is better yet. I keep hoping.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:47 PM   #494
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It's actually quite a struggle for me to decide what I find more important, the screen (lighting) or the features. I love Kobo software, the ability to patch things, the screensaver option, the way the books are displayed in my collections. Lots of things to love! But.. I do think that the screen of my Kindles is better than the Kobos I've tried. And that makes me sad. I would love a Kobo with the screen quality of the Kindle.

So I guess you can't compare the Libra with the Oasis, but for me it was a tough decision between the two. So that's why I recommended the Oasis as an alternative if someone has issues with the Libra.

But I still think I might try a Libra again someday to see if the lighting is better yet. I keep hoping.
But the software on the Libra is better and different enough that an Oasis is not a Libra replacement. It's like driving a new Mercedes and then switching to a Ford Fiesta.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:53 PM   #495
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But the software on the Libra is better and different enough that an Oasis is not a Libra replacement. It's like driving a new Mercedes and then switching to a Ford Fiesta.
Not really. For me it's like having two favorite cars from different brands, each having something the other doesn't. Today I'm going with one, tomorrow I'll be driving the other. The best of both worlds.

Seriously though, I'd like a reader with the Oasis lighting and the Libra body, that combines the best software features from both. (For example, I can't zoom in on maps and images when reading epub on the Libra, but the kepub layout is inferior to the epub layout. There are no such problems on the Oasis.)
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote