Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2019, 01:29 PM   #526
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
I'm curious what colour model SusanReads bought, because so far it seems that the only Libras that have been reported to have the 'green hue' are the black ones. Mine is also fine (I have a white one).
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:59 PM   #527
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Mine looks green in a dark room.
Maybe it's sick?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:04 PM   #528
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Maybe it's sick?
Umm... from darkness? Perhaps it's afraid of the dark. Luckily for it I almost never read in the dark.

It seems that the health of the black Libras is more fragile than that of the white ones. Genetics, genetics... (well, that sounded terribly racist).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:03 PM   #529
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
I'm curious what colour model SusanReads bought, because so far it seems that the only Libras that have been reported to have the 'green hue' are the black ones. Mine is also fine (I have a white one).
Yes, it's the black one. So far I've tried 3 black ones and 2 were green. One had a white screen but had very uneven lighting.

This new one has better lighting but the colour is really green.

I'm not giving up though. I'm going to a different store today to see how their model is and I might try another one. I feel terrible for trying so many devices, but they all differ so much! And so far I've had either terribly uneven lighting or green screens.

So I have hope there is one out there with a white screen where the lighting is like this last one I ordered, which isn't bad at all.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:19 PM   #530
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
Yes, it's the black one. So far I've tried 3 black ones and 2 were green. One had a white screen but had very uneven lighting.

I'm not giving up though. I'm going to a different store today to see how their model is and I might try another one. I feel terrible for trying so many devices, but they all differ so much! And so far I've had either terribly uneven lighting or green screens.

So I have hope there is one out there with a white screen where the lighting is like this last one I ordered, which isn't bad at all.
Is the color green even with the comfort light on? It shouldn't be.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:44 PM   #531
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

I find this quality control by Kobo to be inexcusable and unacceptable. Really disappointing
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:25 AM   #532
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Is the color green even with the comfort light on? It shouldn't be.
No, then it becomes orange. But even then it's more yellow than orange tbh. The one with the whiter screen I tried before was more orange.

I tried this one in full daylight as well (comfort lights off) and it still looks greenish. Yours just looks white I saw in the pics.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:59 AM   #533
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I'm sorry to disappoint everyone. I have an Aura One and assumed all readers with the comfort light would have this feature in developer's mode.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:43 PM   #534
SusanReads
Addict

I'm giving up on the Libra. I tried another one today and this one had the worst light gradient yet. So now I've had either green screens or terribly uneven lighting. I guess I'm just more sensitive to that sort of things and other people just aren't that bothered by it. Or I've had the worst of luck and had lots of 'bad' devices, but I doubt it.

So for now I'm giving up. I feel terribly guilty for constantly buying Libras and then sending them back.

Perhaps Kobo screens and I just don't mesh.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:45 PM   #535
SusanReads
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
I'm sorry to disappoint everyone. I have an Aura One and assumed all readers with the comfort light would have this feature in developer's mode.
I did see that you can easily check the 'inverted screen' box this way. No patch needed to use the black screen with white letters. I'm not sure people know this. So thank you anyway!
Old 11-07-2019, 01:56 PM   #536
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm giving up on the Libra. I tried another one today and this one had the worst light gradient yet. So now I've had either green screens or terribly uneven lighting. I guess I'm just more sensitive to that sort of things and other people just aren't that bothered by it. Or I've had the worst of luck and had lots of 'bad' devices, but I doubt it.

So for now I'm giving up. I feel terribly guilty for constantly buying Libras and then sending them back.

What I would say about this is that the Forma and the Libra are the problem, not so much Kobo.

I’m interested to see if they get better with their lighting on their next revisions of these very thin one handed devices where all the technology appears to be in the handle and grip. That design aesthetic is the common element with these two devices and they are the only two that have screen irregularities of any magnitude in the Kobo family (to my knowledge)

Last edited by bookyboy; 11-07-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:01 PM   #537
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:

your perseverance is commendable.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:47 PM   #538
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
What I would say about this is that the Forma and the Libra are the problem, not so much Kobo.

I’m interested to see if they get better with their lighting on their next revisions of these very thin one handed devices where all the technology appears to be in the handle and grip. That design aesthetic is the common element with these two devices and they are the only two that have screen irregularities of any magnitude in the Kobo family (to my knowledge)
Nope.
The Aura One which I have also had widespread lighting issues.
Can't speak for other models, although I'm pretty sure I've seen lots of discussion about light bleed with the Clara.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:53 PM   #539
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Nope.
The Aura One which I have also had widespread lighting issues.
Can't speak for other models, although I'm pretty sure I've seen lots of discussion about light bleed with the Clara.
Oh really?
Ugh. Ok. I stand corrected.

That sucks.

Cmon Kobo - up the quality control (a lot), particularly for all these higher end, high priced models.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #540
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post

Cmon Kobo - up the quality control (a lot), particularly for all these higher end, high priced models.
To be fair, many people don't even notice the lighting problems. If such people work in the quality control, then obviously they won't find anything wrong.

That said, Amazon has managed to improve the frontlight of Kindles, so it's not impossible.