Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-28-2011, 02:53 AM   #1
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur
UchihaNaru is on a distinguished road

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
Chinese on PRS350

Hi, my reader spoilt and I'm looking to buy a new one. PRS350 caught my eyes but it doesn't have chinese support. However, I have read about and there are ways where you can actually make it support chinese (汉化)

I wonder anyone in the forum has done it? If yes, can you please please help me see if my txt documents work? I only read chinese .txt files and if it doesn't work, it is obsolete!

I read somewhere that while it can be opened, the page numbers and all that are all screwed and one page doesn't lead properly to the next.

Help would be very very much appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: txt ?????.txt (722.5 KB, 597 views)
UchihaNaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
simulacrum
Connoisseur
simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.

Device: PRS-950
Open the doc in word, set the font size as you desire. Set the paper size to the size of the prs-350 screen and reduce the margins as you see fit. Generate a pdf using the "print command (make sure you set a custom paper size). If I'm not mistaken, the Chinese font should be embedded in the pdf.. At least it seems to work for me with Russian .txts and .rtfs on my prs-950. I've taken the liberty of converting the txt you attached to pdf.. hopefully it works (this took <5mins).

If you have access to someone with a prs-350 you can try to view the file on their device.. alternatively a prs-350 owner might be able to upload this file to their device and take a screenshot for you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ----- _1_ - Copy.pdf (1.82 MB, 11632 views)
simulacrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur

Thanks a lot for the trouble ^^ Well, I'm not really very keen on converting all my files into pdf.. Seeing that I download a lot of random chinese novels, many of which I just read a bit and chuck aside. As such, I often load randomly, sometimes more than 10, and it would be a big hassle if I have to convert all to pdf before I can access.

So it would be better if it can read txt nicely after 'hacking' to make it suitable for chinese.

Sadly, I don't have any friends who have a prs-350. In fact, I think I'm the only one that have a ebook reader..
Old 04-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur

Thanks a lot for the trouble ^^ Well, I'm not really very keen on converting all my files into pdf.. Seeing that I download a lot of random chinese novels, many of which I just read a bit and chuck aside. As such, I often load randomly, sometimes more than 10, and it would be a big hassle if I have to convert all to pdf before I can access.

So it would be better if it can read txt nicely after 'hacking' to make it suitable for chinese.

Sadly, I don't have any friends who have a prs-350. In fact, I think I'm the only one that have a ebook reader..
Old 04-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
If you go to this thread, in the Sony Developer's forum, about the PRSPlus customised firmware for Sony models, then search the thread for "Chinese" you will get some hits. I know PRSPlus allows you to redefine fonts by 2 different methods because I use them both - only in English though, I'm afraid:
  • Sony fonts used by LRF/TXT/RTF and
  • the fonts used by EPUB

Method 1 may suit you. However, I suppose Chinese font files can be very large so there may be special considerations. It might be worth you raising your specific Chinese questions there to get advice from someone who already tried it. kartu, the creator of PRSPlus, is usually very helpful answering questions.

Don't forget to also get confirmation whether the menus and book titles can be displayed in Chinese.

Last edited by jackie_w; 04-28-2011 at 10:02 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 03:13 AM   #6
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur

thanks a lot! i have redirected my qns there ^^
Old 04-29-2011, 03:27 AM   #7
simulacrum
Connoisseur
simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.

Device: PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by UchihaNaru View Post

No probs. I'm too paranoid to hack my new purchase for the moment so I stick to the pdf trick for Russian books for now.

PS - on a side note UchihaNaru, did you learn Chinese as an adult or did you grow up with it? I'm interested in picking up Mandarin as a third language at some point, but am discouraged by tones and characters.
simulacrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #8
doremifaso
Connoisseur
doremifaso began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, PW2
You may want to check out this forum:
http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=59

People there has created a firmware with Chinese fonts based on the popular Russian hack. I have installed the hack there with no problem. After installation, I can reading txt, epubs, in Chinese with my PRS650.
doremifaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
newbie5
newbie5 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have a related question: I have converted Chinese txt files into pdf format (using Calibre). The pdf opened correctly showing the Chinese content, however, after about 10 pages the pages become blank all the way to the end of the book.

The same thing happened on the Sony PRS 350, Kobo and Aluratek, can anyone help? Many thanks.
newbie5 is offline   Reply With Quote