Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #46
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I stand slightly corrected. I took them out in the sunlight, and I did see a difference in the background, but not very much. When I brought them back in, I guess I can still see it, but it's a very slight difference. I was expecting something closer to a printed page.

No question about the contrast, though. I have the first page of the DX User's Guide up on both (the "Welcome to amazonkindle" page). Same font, but a big difference in contrast.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #47
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Is that contrast 50% better like they say it is?
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #48
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Could some of this just be individual variations in the screens? I.e., it's the luck of the draw how white your screen is. Could that be possible?
I'm not sure how to respond other than to say that there is in my experience a marked difference in the contrast effect of the PRS-505 and the WDX. Quite a few people are corroborating this.

It's of course important to discern between PDFs and Kindle content. I mostly view PDFs and the contrast effect varies quite a bit. I find that thicker, fuller, and bolder fonts have a much more striking effect.

In other words, aside from the GDX screen, the contrast effect is dependent on a number of factors -- two being:

1) Type of font
2) Formatting

Also, I think if the KDX had an optional reflow feature for viewing PDFs, it would hugely improve the readability of certain PDFs.

Last edited by Sheikspeare; 07-08-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #49
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerio6414 View Post
Is that contrast 50% better like they say it is?
I don't know how you could quantify it exactly (I have developed a polynomial equation that empirically proves that the contrast is 42.7% better ), but it's a lot better.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #50
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Well after spending a bit with the new Kindle DXG, it's obviously a huge leap in contrast from any Kindle before it.

Pictures don't do it justice, but the text is a deeper black, and the background color is a touch whiter. The biggest difference though is without doubt the text. Wowzers. Very awesome. Hopefully we'll get a K2 refresh here shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	479
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	54805   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	54806  

Last edited by WilliamG; 07-08-2010 at 05:52 PM.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 11:00 PM   #51
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dalliard View Post
Hmm, if Astak or Pocketbook, or whatever, does not release, or at least announce, a 9.7" device in the very near future, I may just have to go with this. The price is right and PDF support is sufficient for my needs. After close to 2 years of watching and waiting to buy a reader it is time to finally take the plunge.
The Kindle comes with a web browser that is almost and sometimes as fast as what you get on smartphones. That's if you go to mobile-device-optimized sites, of course.

And that is 3G use on the web at no added cost. I wouldn't think of an ereader without that, as it's extremely useful for lookups when you're away from your networks. Now if you already have a web-data plan and a fast smartphone there's no need for it, but why not just have it.

Oh, no ePub...
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #52
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
I just did half an hour ago a post in another thread
showing my photos of a Target Sony PRS-505 along with my Kindle 2.

Then I linked to photos of my current (white) DX to see how that
compares with other older DX's as I am seeing a lot of faint-font screens
when people post their older DX photos, which seems strange to me.

That post is at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=11

- Andrys
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:32 AM   #53
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Wow I cant wait for K3 version! K2 great and I don't need dx because I like the portability of the k2 because I just read books (no papers or magazines or larger pdf technical drawings ). Honest the K2 I bought at target on the 6/26 so far has blown me away and for me black and white e book reader is superior to the heavier (can you say wrist injures) harder to read back light Ipad for text based books. Hmmm common amazon speed up the roll out of the K3
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:31 AM   #54
Talldog
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrys View Post
Oh, no ePub...
It seems to me that Amazon held on the notion of folders/collections until they needed to throw a bone to their customers. Maybe they'll do the same with ePub. Ya think?

BTW Andrys, I've never noticed your name before while cruising through these forums. I'm a regular follower of your Kindle World blog. Very good stuff.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #55
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
It seems to me that Amazon held on the notion of folders/collections until they needed to throw a bone to their customers. Maybe they'll do the same with ePub.
It would be a good move for Amazon. Epub will become an open standard and the rest will eventually pay the price.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #56
Dutchman1
Dutchman1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Returned GDX & bought K2 instead

Had been using a borrowed K2 and was addicted. Ordered a Kindle GDX as it was latest model and thought the PDF function would be good. At first was impressed by screen - definitely darker fonts and whiter back ground. However there were a few downsides

1) Weight and size - too heavy just like an ipad is too heavy. No longer wanted to carry it with me everywhere and started to think I might as well carry a book around.
2) Contrast and background better than K2 but not enough to make me have to have it. K2 is more than good enough and actually a bit softer on the eyes.
3) I had quite a lot of ghosting problems on occasions (particularly on PDF line diagrams) having to do multiple page refreshes - could just be a faulty unit and this is why I have returned.
4) Graphite / grey surround made it look and feel like an early palm pilot and added nothing to the reading experience. By far prefer the white surround.
5) PDF are easy to put on but colours wash out making them difficult to see in B&W and again you feel you are back in the 80's looking looking at an early IBM. Unfortunately PDF's generally need colour and for me the current technology didn't work.
6) The bigger screen makes browsing easier but lets be honest it's a dreadful experience and I'd rather use my Blackberry which I have with me at all times.

The K2 although not the most attractive and limited by it's small screen is a much more compelling proposition in that it is cheap, portable, always connected, long battery life, has significantly quicker page turns and in addition the text is more than good enough to read. I now just want it to read paperback equivalents without need for colour or back lighting. When colour non-backlit paper like technology becomes readily and affordably available I might upgrade - in meantime it takes a lot to beat the K2.

Last edited by Dutchman1; 07-21-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Dutchman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #57
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikspeare View Post
Anarel, I also own a PRS-505. It's by far the best screen I've seen on an eReader. From what I can understand, the DXG screen (whatever they call it) doesn't rival the PRS-505. Call me cynical, but I think talk of new technology is marketspeak.

IF you're buying new, I guess it makes sense.
I've owned every Sony Reader except the 500. I just got my Kindle DXG yesterday. There is no question that the new Pearl screen blows away any eInk screen I've ever seen. It more than rivals your 505, it makes it look dull and faded buddy!

Last edited by jswinden; 07-21-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #58
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden;
I've owned every Sony Reader except the 500. I just got my Kindle DXG yesterday. There is no question that the new Pearl screen blows away any eInk screen I've ever seen. It more than rivals your 505, it makes it look dark and faded buddy!
I would agree - it's a large step up in legibility. It's good enough for me that I don't anticipate purchasing an improved model. I mean for books, fiction and nonfiction, and that's all I need it for.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #59
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman1 View Post
6) The bigger screen makes browsing easier but lets be honest it's a dreadful experience and I'd rather use my Blackberry which I have with me at all times.K2.
Dreadful. Are you kidding? I have read books on a PRS500, PRS505, Iphone, BB Bold, PRS600, Kindle 2, KDX, computer screens and, although I still have a warm space in my heart for my 505, the KDX is by far the most satisfying experience. I appreciate that we all have different tastes and that in a crunch any devide can do for a read but how can you possibly suggest that the dinky little Blackberry screen is more satisfying. Good luck in finding the right devidice for you.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #60
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Let me add that the DXG screen is better than any eink screen I've used including the K1, K2US, DX, Kobo, Irex Iliad, Kobo, Sony 505 and 600, and the Cybook Gen 3.

The "black" is significantly "blacker" and the white is slightly whiter.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote