Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
tigermind
tigermind began at the beginning.

Device: none
wonky images on older Kindle

Howdy all,

I'm making my own e-books, and have encountered an odd problem that shows up with some images on my old Kindle. I'll try my best to describe what happens: The image will take up the right amount of space on the screen, but a portion of the bottom of the image is missing, and the same amount of the image is taken from the top and duplicated—so, say, about the top sixth of the image will be reduplicated on top, while the bottom sixth is missing. BUT, if i zoom in on the image, it then shows up correctly.

I've tried deleting and reinstalling the ebook file itself, and deleting and reinstalling the images into the ebook itself (i use Sigil to write the ebooks in epub format, and then Calibre to convert to mobi), but that hasn't made a difference. I've noticed it only happens to jpegs, but not to /all/ jpegs. And it's only a problem on my 3G Kindle keyboard; newer Kindles, as well as the Kindle apps for Mac and iPhone, don't seem to have any problem.

Has anybody ever seen a problem like this? Any ideas what might be causing it?
tigermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds as if you're perhaps not specifying the size of the image correctly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
tigermind

Harry, what makes you think that? Have you seen something like this before? Or does it remind you of another problem you've encountered?

At present, i haven't been specifying the image size at all; i've been making the images myself (in Photoshop), and resizing them so they're not larger than 600px wide x 800px tall.

And speaking of which, the only pattern i've noticed with the images that show this problem (other than all being jpegs) is that, in every case, it's been an image that's wider than it is tall—and i think they've all been images that were the max width, 600px. But, as i mentioned before, it doesn't happen to all jpegs, and neither does it happen to all jpegs wider than they are tall—or even to all images that are the max width.

If the problem is indeed an issue with specifying the size, how would you recommend i solve that problem?
Old 11-28-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Are you sure you are saving the jpegs the same? Maybe it simply doesn't like them beeing progressive or not. If it only messes up with some and not all, surely the images are different and at fault.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
tigermind

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Are you sure you are saving the jpegs the same? Maybe it simply doesn't like them beeing progressive or not. If it only messes up with some and not all, surely the images are different and at fault.
I thought that was the problem, too. But since the first time it happened, i've been very careful about making sure i save all the images the same way. But it's still happening
Advert

Tags
calibre, jpeg, kindle, sigil