Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
mmessina
Author-saurus-rex
mmessina has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle
What should I write next?

I'm in a lull after having finally finished The Longshores Rising; I want to write the second book (which is already like 30% done) but need something to kick-start me back into gear. I got a bit burned out from life/writing/epublishing/getting a cover/promoting ... So I have a few projects I want to work on to help me get that done. I'm curious as to what other authors might feel would be the most effective, most interesting, or just gut feeling best choice would be.

Options:
1) I have a short story, about 15000 words that I wrote a while back called The ordinary man. I could clean it up and try to expand it to actual book length or just polish it up and release it for free to drum up interest in TLR.

2) A video game instruction manual, about 80% complete. I've been rewriting it for friends since like 1998; it's basically a 'how to' for first person shooters. I actually had a little stint where I got very good, ranked, almost went pro, etc. So I've got a good foundation in that but couldn't put the time into it to make anything of it. I could, however, finish a book on it

3) A martial arts instruction manual. Specifically, Filipino stick and knife/machete (aka Arnis/escrima). I am/was an instructor in the Kombatan school under Ernesto Presas and have been doing martial arts since I was 12 (over 18 years). I have a pretty nearly complete book that is in need of rework + some pictures.

4) Write a crime/suspense/drama book I've been cooking up in my head for several years now. I've got a suitably good plot twist ready as well as a different method of portraying it to provide a little extra 'oomph' to the interest level for the reader.

5) Just get to work on the second book already and stop making excuses/him-hawing. Approximately 50-70% of the readers who have read it have asked me when the second one is coming out, so it's encouraging though difficult considering the amount of prep that has to go into the project.

What do you think?
mmessina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Polish up the short story and write the crime drama. If your next one is just a sequel that is all people will ever expect from you and you'll eventually end up writing the same book over and over again.

Unless you ended the first one on a major cliffhanger. Then everyone will hate you if you write something else.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
mmessina
Author-saurus-rex
mmessina has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle
Well, it's a planned trilogy and it's going to be pretty final. I'm leaning towards what you're saying though. BTW, every time I see your name I giggle. Thanks.
mmessina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
tennoel
Enthusiast
tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-300
#1 and #4.
tennoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
#5 because:

#1, you're a novel author, not a short story author. This is not going to satisfy you.
#2 Since 1998? Forget it, you're never going to finish that.
#3 A fiction author will never feel comfortable writing non-fiction
#4 There are more than enough crime fiction authors already. Write something worthwhile.
#5 You know you really want to

My 2c.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'd say go with whichever project inspires you. If you come to a project not really being enthusiastic about it then no matter how well you want to do on it you won't give your best effort.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
Mel Comley
Addict
Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yeah, go with what's pulling you the most. I have this dilemma too at the moment, so I hear where you're coming from.
Mel Comley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Actually I've just walked into this trap myself. With novel #1 under my belt, I already had the theme for #2. Started writing #2, which shares some locations and one or two characters with #1, but is not a sequel. I'm about a quarter of the way into this one, and someone just gave me the idea for #3, which is a sequel to #1, and which is trying very hard to lure me away from the one I'm working on.

James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote