Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-29-2009, 06:04 AM   #16
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
If we can nominate series I'm going to spend tree series by Lois McMaster Bujold even though they are not free
- The Vorkosigan series, starting with Shards of Honour,
- The five gods series, starting with The Curse of Chalion, and
- The Sharing Knife Series, starting with Beguilement.
They are all in available in Mobipocket, and I have them all.

HarryT has already chosed Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, so I'll make my fourth choice Sense and Sensibility.

And my fifth choice would be A Gentleman of France by Stanley J Weyman. Or maybe The Woman in White, by Wilkie Collins. Or maybe A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Or maybe HarryT's production of David Balfour, (comprising Kidnapped and Catriona) by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Regards, Alex.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:08 AM   #17
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
1. Father Brown Omnibus Crime/Mystery. Free. Public domain.
Link doesn't work - "thread not specified" error
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 06:15 AM   #18
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
It's here
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:17 AM   #19
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Cough... Harry T has done a "David Balfour", but that's only the second volume, also known as Catriona.

My production of "David Balfour" is the combined volume. And I've already nominated it :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Or maybe HarryT's production of David Balfour, (comprising Kidnapped and Catriona) by Robert Louis Stevenson.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:20 AM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thanks. Fixed in the original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #21
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
This is great, guys! Keep 'em coming! I am totally okay with nominating a series as one entry. I want to see as many replies as possible so we have the biggest possible list and can refer newcomers to a great list of books to read.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #22
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
6charlong, you can pick one more as you duplicated The Prince, already rec'd by someone else.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #23
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Keeping this to 5 is about like giving breech delivery to a porcupine, but here goes.

1. The Complete Poems of Rudyard Kipling (Poetry)
Rudyard Kipling
Ghostwolf Web site

2. Complete works of Cornwainer Smith (2 Vol) (Science-fiction) - 90% is one interconnected series of short stories.
Cornwainer Smith. (Paul Linebarger)
Baen Books.

3. The Narnia Series (Fantasy)
C. S. Lewis
Fictionwise (Pay)

4. Jurgen (Fantasy)
James Branch Cabell
Project Gutenberg

5. The Droll Stories (Comedy)
Honorie De Balzac
Project Gutenberg

Last edited by Greg Anos; 03-29-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #24
sunsetsylvia
Enthusiast
sunsetsylvia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sunsetsylvia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sunsetsylvia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sunsetsylvia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (sangria red), PRS-350 (silber), Galaxy Tab
Ok, had to replace some of my list, because H2G2 and Pride & Prejudice have been mentioned already. So here it goes:

Measuring the World - Daniel Kehlmann (historical fiction, biography, satire)
buy: amazon, mobipocket, ...

Persuasion - Jane Austen (classic romance)
free: girlebooks.com, gutenberg.org, mobileread, ...

Outlander (series) - Diana Gabaldon (historical fiction, romance)
buy: mobipocket, amazon, diesel-ebooks, ...

The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas (historical fiction)
free: gutenberg, manybooks, planetebooks, ...

The Talisman - Stephen King and Peter Straub (fantasy/horror)
buy: diesel-ebooks, mobipocket, ...

Last edited by sunsetsylvia; 06-09-2009 at 01:04 PM.
sunsetsylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #25
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I'm really surprised that no one's listed The Lord of the Rings, so I will.

The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien (Fantasy, various retail outlets)

The Hobbit - ditto, ditto

Three Men in a Boat - Jerome K. Jerome (Humour (with a u) now available here in a LOVELY ePub by Zelda)

The Man Who Was Thursday - GK Chesterton (spiritual thriller, available here)

The Letters of John and Abigail Adams - available on Google and Sony/Google ePub library
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:55 AM   #26
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
1. Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
Availability: mobileread.com, gutenberg.org, archive.org

2. The Pride of Chanur by C.J. Cherryh
Availability: diesel-ebooks.com, fictionwise.com

3. The Meditations (or Writings) of Marcus Aurelius by, you guessed it, Marcus Aurelius

4. The Iliad by Homer (we all have our favorites, I happen to like it better than The Odyssey :P )

5. Bulfinch's Mythology (all 3 parts) by Thomas Bulfinch

Note: No ebooks yet of O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin/Master and Commander series, Haldeman's Forever War, McMurtry's Lonesome Dove and Brin's Uplift Saga. :P Somebody do Neuromancer and Snow Crash hehe...

Last edited by wayspooled; 06-13-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Oh sorry, %^$%!! stupid booksonboard fooled me again with that audio book of Master and Commander, removed it.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #27
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Shogun by James Clavell
Historical Fiction
Find a store using ebookprice.info, not in the Kindle store.

Metzger's Dog by Thomas Perry
Comic Thriller
Find a store using ebookprice.info.

A Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge
Science Fiction
Find a store using ebookprice.info

The Mote in God's Eye by Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven
Science Fiction
DRM-free MultiFormat from Baen Books

The 1632 Series by Eric Flint
Alternative History Science Fiction
First in the series in Baen Free Library
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #28
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I read for escape, so my list would contain:

David Weber's Honor Harrington series

Sharon Lee & Steve Miller's Liaden Universe series

Catherine Asaro's Skolian Empire series

David Weber & John Ringo's Prince Roger series

C.S. Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:59 AM   #29
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Most of the books/series I would have nominated have already been named by others, but there's a few not listed.

William Shakespeare - Much Ado About Nothing (I am surprised he hasn't already been named, unless I missed it)

Baroness Orczy - The Scarlet Pimpernel

Agatha Christie - The Secret Adversary (one of only two freely available - the other one is The Mysterious Affair at Styles, the first Poirot)

All public domain.

Question for Ralph Sir Edward @ 23 - Where did you find the complete works of Cordwainer Smith and does it include the Quest of Three Planets series? I have been looking for those to complete my (pbook) collection without success. I had a look on Baen and I could only find We the Underpeople and When the People Fell.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #30
Paegan2246
Connoisseur
Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, iPod Touch, 3-160GB iPod classics
My list - it was hard to narrow my choices down to these:

Burr - Gore Vidal - available on Kindle

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin - on Kindle and Project Guttenburg

I Know This Much Is True - Wally Lamb - again on Kindle

Winston Churchill's 6 volume history of World War II - available on Kindle
1. The Gathering Storm
2. The Grand Alliance
3. The Hinge of Fate
4. Their Finest Hour
5. Triumph and Tragedy
6. Closing the Ring

and finally The Welsh Trilogy by Sharon K Pennman (Here Be Dragons, The Reckoning, Falls the Shadow). These were the first 3 books I purchased when I got my Kindle. I checked today and they are no longer available. Who know what happened there.

Last edited by Paegan2246; 06-28-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Paegan2246 is offline   Reply With Quote