Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
ballast
Enthusiast
ballast is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Unhappy Converting from MS Word format

I seem to be having conversion problems, but only when the original is in Word format. When I click the VIEW button, the book opens up in MS Word properly. When I click CONVERT BOOKS (single .DOC format document) I get the message "could not convert 1 of 1 books, because no suitable source format was found."

In some cases, I can open the book in Word, do a save-as in .pdf format, then Calibre will recognize the pdf and let me convert it (in my case to EPUB format)... but sometimes the pdf will not read in Adobe Reader. And sometimes it tells me it can't convert because the original (pdf) is DRM'd (and there is NO DRM on the original. And sometimes it converts the pdf to EPUB exxxtttreeemly slowly (as in 45 minutes) and the result looks like someone took a camera and made images of each page.

Usually, if I futz with it long enough, I can get it into a format that will EPUB properly, but in some cases it takes 20 minutes or more.

Since I have 75+ of these, it sure would be great if someone knows what I am doing wrong, or what is wrong with the MS Word reader.
ballast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I'm no expert with Word...at all...nor have I tried converting .doc to epub, but could you try saving your .doc file from Word as an RTF and then converting from .rtf to epub?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Calibre will not convert DOC files directly.

From MSWord, you can Save-As Webpage-filtered to convert DOC to HTML (the filtered bit is important). Then import the HTML into Calibre, which zips up the HTML and any associated images during the import.

Save-As RTF also works but may not convert to EPUB quite as well as the HTML does for some books.

Converting from PDF is currently the least satisfactory option if you want to retain the formatting in the original DOC.

Last edited by jackie_w; 08-02-2010 at 11:00 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
jackie definitely has a good point...I forget that in more recent releases the web page filtered html is somewhat decent compared to the html that used to come out of Word!
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:23 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballast View Post
I seem to be having conversion problems, but only when the original is in Word format.

Since I have 75+ of these, it sure would be great if someone knows what I am doing wrong, or what is wrong with the MS Word reader.
Calibre does not support .doc files. Open the doc file in Word and save it as filtered html. I have heard some folks say calibre converts some doc files but those files are really rtf files with the wrong extension.

Since you have a bunch of doc files this thread explains how to do batch conversions with free tools. Specifically check out posts 23, 49 and 56.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:41 AM   #6
ballast
Enthusiast

Marvelous - thanx guys - that seems to work pretty consistantly - now I need to look at the info on mass conversion a little closer. As always, "it takes a village".
Old 08-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #7
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
From MSWord, you can Save-As Webpage-filtered to convert DOC to HTML (the filtered bit is important).
Why is the filtered bit important? What is the difference between that and just saving to HTML?
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you simply save to HTML then you get a ton of information inserted that is Word specific and hampers conversion to other formats.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@Scott... such as the horrible MS so-called "smart tags". Whoever named those was surely joking.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Color, Kindle, EB1150, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Surface Pro 2017
I found a neat utility that loads directly in MSWord 2007 and allows you to Save As an epub. From there, it easily imports into Calibre and you're good to go. Works like a charm!

Click here
ClairePMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #11
ballast
Enthusiast

Nice idea, but Calibre's reader doesn't seem to like the resulting epub output from Aspose's save-as epub - I get an error 22 when reading (could be ok on the nook or with the Adobe reader, but I prefer having it work in Calibre).
Old 08-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #12
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Color, Kindle, EB1150, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Surface Pro 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballast View Post
Nice idea, but Calibre's reader doesn't seem to like the resulting epub output from Aspose's save-as epub - I get an error 22 when reading (could be ok on the nook or with the Adobe reader, but I prefer having it work in Calibre).
Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. FYI, I'm running Windows 7 and Word 2007 sp2. I've converted about 50 books in the last two days and got no errors at all, either during the process or in reading the items later. Everything transferred clean as a whistle. So far, it's the only add-in that's worked seamlessly for me.

I keep searching for these add-ins because I'm always on the lookout for the easiest, best, cheapest tools. If I find anything else in my travels, I'll post links, and hopefully one of them will work better for you.
ClairePMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:43 AM   #13
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
itimpi, jackie_w... thanks. I re-converted a couple of old, troublesome files with a much improved result. Cheers.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote