Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-23-2019, 09:46 PM   #181
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
So I bought the HP - 14z Laptop from the early Black Friday sale (at HP.com). I upgraded the memory to 8gb which required upgrading the harddrive (I went with the SSD one).

The added cost means I won't be buying the external harddrive I'd planned on, but just under $300 for a new laptop isn't a bad birthday/Christmas present to myself
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:14 AM   #182
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
For some stupid reason, I bought an "All-New Kindle" and a fabric cover for it, it was $88.07 after tax.

EDIT: Though, with the 24 months of kindle unlimited I bought in February, the 3 months I gifted myself a couple weeks ago, and the 3 months of Kindle Unlimited this came with, I've got kindle unlimited until November 2021

Last edited by binaryhermit; 11-24-2019 at 01:18 AM.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:54 PM   #183
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
When I did the fire tv and tablet trade in it took a couple hours for the discount to show up. So I will look at the echoes later....I started the trade in while laying in bed with insomnia at 4:30 this morning....

Is there any prohibition about trading in 2 dots and getting 2 25% off device discounts? Because if it's one per account, I'll cancel one of them.

He actually gave me a credit which is only applicable to items sold by Amazon, I think. I tested it on some MacMillan ebooks and it didn't show up. But it does show up when I add an Amazon device or ebook.

I'll tell them to send you $6.25 worth of bananas!

I think I will like the show 5 in my kitchen window, better than by my bed.

Edit to answer my own question: Promotional discount is limited to one per customer.

So, I will cancel one of the trade-ins. But why did they let me do 2 trade-ins if only one discount can be used? Just for the $5 gift card?? No thanks!
When did you get the 25% discount? I was going to trade in my Fire HD 10 to get a new one. I'll get $30 off which will make it $69, but it looked like I wouldn't get my discount until they received my trade in.

Sent from my SHT-AL09 using Tapatalk
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:18 PM   #184
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
When did you get the 25% discount? I was going to trade in my Fire HD 10 to get a new one. I'll get $30 off which will make it $69, but it looked like I wouldn't get my discount until they received my trade in.

When I traded in a gen 2 Dot for a Show 5 during Prime Day, I got both of my discounts instantly. If I didn't mail-in the Dot by a certain date, Amazon would take my discounts back.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:31 PM   #185
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
When I traded in a gen 2 Dot for a Show 5 during Prime Day, I got both of my discounts instantly. If I didn't mail-in the Dot by a certain date, Amazon would take my discounts back.
Thanks, I'll try it. I guess worst case I'll get my mother a new HD 8. I gave her the very first one out that was an absolute piece of crap.

Old 11-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #186
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Well guess what isn't booting up. 😱 It was fine the last time I used it, and I thought I turned it off. It's plugged in now so we'll see

Edit: it's at 3% now, so it's good. 😅

Last edited by Purple Lady; 11-25-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:23 PM   #187
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

New Fire hd 10 for $55. 😸 And I will receive it tonight. Its on sale for $99 now for prime.

Old 11-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #188
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
I'm looking for a Desktop PC for light use. (SFF is fine.) Just emailing and MS Word, that sort of thing. I've narrowed it down to two. (Although I am open to better suggestions.)

1) Dell https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop...v3470w10ps5063 $299 from Dell flyer

Questions: 1) (From the Tech Specs & Customization tab) Is the tray able to read and write CDs and DVDs or is that extra?
2) Does the computer have Wi-fi capability?
3) Might MS give me a hard time adding MS Office Home and Student since this is a business computer?

2) HP https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-desk...?skuId=6366134 $379 on Black Friday at Best Buy

I was thinking (I'm no tech expert in this stuff) the HP might be worth the extra $79 but then I saw its processor speed was only 2.6 GHz. But then I thought maybe the SSD makes up for that.

And the reviews for the Dell were kind of bad, whereas the reviews for the HP were pretty good, several stating the computer was fast.

Any opinion on which is better and any feedback at all is appreciated. Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #189
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
An SSD is the single most important speed improvement you can make when compared to a model with an HDD. OTOH, the HP is an AMD processor v. an Intel for the Dell, so you can't directly compare processor speeds. I haven't spent any time with the latest iteration of AMD processors, so have no sense of whether they've solved their limitations. I'm hearing they have, but I don't have direct knowledge.

On Office H&S -- not an issue at all.
On the Dell having wireless -- it says it does. OTOH, the HP appears to have somewhat better wireless.
Both will read and write CDs and DVDs, according to their specs.

Overall? I think I'd probably go with the HP for your described needs.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:23 PM   #190
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
An SSD is the single most important speed improvement you can make when compared to a model with an HDD. OTOH, the HP is an AMD processor v. an Intel for the Dell, so you can't directly compare processor speeds. I haven't spent any time with the latest iteration of AMD processors, so have no sense of whether they've solved their limitations. I'm hearing they have, but I don't have direct knowledge.

On the Dell having wireless -- it says it does. OTOH, the HP appears to have somewhat better wireless.

HP doesn't list the Ryzen model number, and the only 2.6 GHZ model I could find is a mobile processor. The i3 8100 is a very respectable processor competitive with previous gen. i5's, and I'd expect it to outperform a 2.6GHZ Ryzen 3 by a pretty wide margin. OTOH I wouldn't buy a system with only 4GB that shares system memory for video.
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #191
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Just made my first, and probably only, Black Friday purchase, unless, of course, a nice very small no-contract phone comes along that could replace my much missed Samsung Galaxy Players.

I snagged one of the Fire HD8 tablets, for an early gift for my husband, so I can (hopefully) get my own Samsung tablet back from him before our trip in a couple of days. He only uses mine on trips to watch movies, so I figure that as long as I can make the Fire HD8 work for that, he doesn't really have any reason to keep my Samsung . And since the Fire HD8 can get the United app for streamable movies onboard (available free from Amazon's app store, so I don't even have to hack Google Play), and he also can pre-download some movies from Prime for if the onboard system doesn't work, I'm optimistic!

I also found a Fire HD8 case (the normally $30 one) for $9.34 on Amazon Warehouse. It supposedly has cosmetic imperfections, but what do I care, it will DEFINITELY have cosmetic imperfections after he's used it for a while. So that seemed like a great bargain to me. If anyone is interested, there are still five more listed at Amazon Warehouse at the moment, even after I bought one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01N44JBS4/

NOTE: I have no idea what affiliate tags look like in Amazon Warehouse URLs, so hopefully if there is one in there somewhere, some moderator can take it out...

Last edited by issybird; 11-25-2019 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Remove tag.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:17 PM   #192
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post

Thanks very much for the information, CRussel. That clears up a lot of things for me.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:20 PM   #193
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
HP doesn't list the Ryzen model number, and the only 2.6 GHZ model I could find is a mobile processor. The i3 8100 is a very respectable processor competitive with previous gen. i5's, and I'd expect it to outperform a 2.6GHZ Ryzen 3 by a pretty wide margin. OTOH I wouldn't buy a system with only 4GB that shares system memory for video.
Thanks cc_in_oh. I confess not knowing about this, but a lot of reviews for the HP said it was fast. Granted, that's anecdotal but the reviews for the Dell were not thrilling.

So perhaps the SSD in the HP and the faster processor in the Dell will end up being a wash?
Old 11-25-2019, 05:36 PM   #194
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I wouldn't buy a system with only 4GB that shares system memory for video.
Agree 100%!!!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:13 PM   #195
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks cc_in_oh. I confess not knowing about this, but a lot of reviews for the HP said it was fast. Granted, that's anecdotal but the reviews for the Dell were not thrilling.

So perhaps the SSD in the HP and the faster processor in the Dell will end up being a wash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Agree 100%!!!
Nothing you're proposing is likely to be limited by processor speed, IMHO. But everything you do will be limited by RAM and disk access time. The 8GB in the HP plus the SSD will make it a faster system for your uses, I suspect. Frankly, the only way I'd go with the Dell is if I intended to immediately swap out the HDD for an SSD. Which totally negates the price advantage.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote