Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-19-2014, 04:19 AM   #46
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
yo

I've been composing in the "Text Body" style in LibreOffice. And from there I've saved the document as an .odt file and then saved the .odt file as a .html file (all in LO). I did it that way for eight stories and it worked perfectly. Just clean <p>paragraphs</p>. I was thrilled. Until this last story.

The story handled two or three italics (using italics once in a while is all I really do, besides typical punctuations marks), but then (see screenshot 109) it added all this bloat, all these span tags in the middle of sentences etc. A mess. And I don't know why.

The LO Text Body style seems different than MS Office Word 2003's, where if you were in a portion of the text reflecting a certain style the style pane reflected it as well. Click on an area reflecting a different style and the style pane would change to reflect it.

Well, in LO the Text Body in the style pane doesn't change.

And anyway, I need to know how to avoid this and I'd really like to know why it happened. This piece in the screenshot is only 1100 words so no biggie but if it had been a novel I would have been really concerned. (read euphemism)

Next issue. Dealing with flash drives. In Linux it seems very unreliable. Like the USB drive is "not mounted" sometimes. Other times it is "mounted automatically."

Then I couldln't paste anything into this one flashdrive. It had little lock icons next to every file. So I clicked on the drive's properties and when I tried to opened the access panel below "gregory" to "read & write" (figuring that's why the lock icons were there) it gave me the window (see 110 screenshot) and I did not know what to do with that "recursive" window. (I Googled it and it says, 'it calls out itself.' Oh.)

And the last problem with a flash drive was trying to paste into it and getting this window (see screenshot 111).

You guys know what's going on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_109.png
Views:	192
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	120472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_110.png
Views:	187
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	120475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_111.png
Views:	190
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	120476  
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:12 AM   #47
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Can't help you with LibreOffice -> HTML, since I never use this.

I am surprised by your experience with flash drives. I have dozens, from an ancient 128 MB drive to a brand new 32 GB drive, as well as flash drive-type SD card readers, and have never had a problem. If anything, my Linux netbook (Ubuntu 12.04) is more reliable than my Windows XP box, but I suspect that's due to old, cranky hardware.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2014, 08:05 AM   #48
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Like cromag, I don't export from LibreOffice to HTML, and I've never had any trouble with flash drives.

I can, however, tell you what "recursively" means: "apply the changes to this directory and everything inside it". If you tick the box, whatever changes you made will be applied to the directory you've selected, and all sub-directories. If you don't tick the box, it will only apply to the directory you've selected.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:50 PM   #49
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Never had a OS specific problem with flash drives.

I have messed up by failing to remove the drive properly (includes, jumping the gun after clicking: eject). That can leave the drive corrupt AND/OR leave the port (usage) status questionable. A reboot clears the last. You need to repair the file structure for the first.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #50
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Can't help you with LibreOffice -> HTML, since I never use this.

I am surprised by your experience with flash drives. I have dozens, from an ancient 128 MB drive to a brand new 32 GB drive, as well as flash drive-type SD card readers, and have never had a problem. If anything, my Linux netbook (Ubuntu 12.04) is more reliable than my Windows XP box, but I suspect that's due to old, cranky hardware.
Thx cromag, but something going on with this "read and write" and "permissions" and "mounting" and stuff.
Advert
Old 03-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #51
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
Like cromag, I don't export from LibreOffice to HTML, and I've never had any trouble with flash drives.

I can, however, tell you what "recursively" means: "apply the changes to this directory and everything inside it". If you tick the box, whatever changes you made will be applied to the directory you've selected, and all sub-directories. If you don't tick the box, it will only apply to the directory you've selected.
Thanks Russell. I didn't have nay problems with flash drives and Linux either until three or four days ago. Now it's like anything I try to do I get a pop up window telling me I can't.

Thanks for explaining "recursive." I have a little better understanding of it now, but I still am unsure of some things. For instance, I went to copy and paste a file into the flash drive. I got the permission denied thing (I can't even remember the exact warning--there have been so many) so I added the "read and write" access below the "gregory" directory. That gave me the "recursive" choice. I chose "No," figuring I just want the flash drive to work and that that was the safest choice. Then this window flashed on (see screenshot 42). I cancelled out of that because I didn't know what to do.

Trying to understand the recursive thing. Since I choose "read and write" for "gregory" and all its sub-directories (see screenshot 44) so that means the flashdrive will accept pasting from all those folders (pictures, music etc), right? But there are no subdirectories (folders) under those folders (only files) so what would be the point of going recursive?

And lastly (see screenshot 43) I checked my flash drive again and all these lock icons are there. (They weren't there the first time.)

Any idea what's going on?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_042.png
Views:	172
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	120492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_043.png
Views:	174
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	120493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_044.png
Views:	171
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	120494  
Old 03-19-2014, 04:21 PM   #52
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Never had a OS specific problem with flash drives.

I have messed up by failing to remove the drive properly (includes, jumping the gun after clicking: eject). That can leave the drive corrupt AND/OR leave the port (usage) status questionable. A reboot clears the last. You need to repair the file structure for the first.
What's with the "mounting"? Sometimes I put a flashdrive in a usb port and the computer says the flashdrive is mounted automatically. Sometimes the flash drive icon is grayed out and when I right click on it I get the option to mount it. So in other words, the flashdrive has to be mounted for the computer to recognize it, right?
Old 03-19-2014, 05:07 PM   #53
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Try this? http://askubuntu.com/questions/58914...anything-to-it

I remember this happened to me once, cannot remember how I fixed it, but I think it may have been as this article recommends, by copying all files to a backup folder and reformatting the flashdrive.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:42 AM   #54
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

This post was made in error.

Last edited by Gregg Bell; 03-20-2014 at 02:07 PM. Reason: this post was a mistake
Old 03-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #55
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

the latest

Opened a file and got this (screenshot) and 90% of my file was missing. "Eli the Computer Guy" said Linux is "buggy." Is this what he was talking about? (I hope not!) This file I lost the 90% on was easily replaced but what if it wasn't? Is Linux that unreliable?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_045.png
Views:	189
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	120578  
Old 03-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #56
cromag
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If Linux was unreliable I wouldn't be using it. I've done nearly all my writing, editing, etc., on my Linux (Ubuntu 12.04, recently updated from 10.04) netbook. When I get rid of my Windows XP desktop I'll be replacing it with a Windows 7/Ubuntu dual boot system, because I really don't like Windows.

Many Universities have active users groups and customize their own "distros." Not what you'd expect from an "unreliable" operating system.

Last edited by cromag; 03-20-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #57
cromag

What specific hardware are you using for your setup? Make and model, age, any upgrades or additions? Where was the file you tried to open located?
Old 03-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #58
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 1st Gen, iPad 2, iPhone 5S
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
If Linux was unreliable I wouldn't be using it. I've done nearly all my writing, editing, etc., on my Linux (Ubuntu 12.04, recently updated from 10.04) netbook. When I get rid of my Windows XP desktop I'll be replacing it with a Windows 7/Ubuntu dual boot system, because I really don't like Windows.

Many Universities have active users groups and customize their own "distros." Not what you'd expect from an "unreliable" operating system.

Not to mention that a rather substantial number of the servers that run the Internet are running Linux.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #59
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I also don't think that Linux is producing that error, it's the application doing the import reporting the error.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #60
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Opened a file and got this (screenshot) and 90% of my file was missing. "Eli the Computer Guy" said Linux is "buggy." Is this what he was talking about? (I hope not!) This file I lost the 90% on was easily replaced but what if it wasn't? Is Linux that unreliable?
I don't think I said that... Oh wait. THAT Eli.

Never seen anything like that before. What did you click on to get an error about "import(ing)"? What application were you using, and what else were you doing at the time, that might have caused it to fail?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote