Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
frostcyborg
frostcyborg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.frostcyborg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.frostcyborg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle, iPhone
Bought 1 Kindle 2, Received 3...

Interesting thing happened to me... I purchased a kindle 2 on dec. 21st. I had a large collection of ebooks and used to read on my iPhone via Stanza and used Calibre to organize my books. Since you can access the Calibre content server from the Kindle 2 browser if you set it up properly (which it is ) I decided to buy the Kindle as my eyes are becoming more and more fatigued the more I read on my phone. I paid for overnight shipping so I could receive it before my office closed up for the holidays. The next day I did not receive my kindle even though my estimated shipping date was the 22nd. I called CS and explained the situation. According to FedEx they never received the shipment/package, and Amazon couldn't find it either. The CS rep created a new order and I changed the shipping address to my home as no one would be in the office for the rest of the week. I did finally receive my Kindle on Dec. 24th and spent the rest of the weekend enjoying my new reader.

I arrive at work today and see in addition the Kindle I had in my laptop case, but TWO more kindles waiting for me at the front desk sealed in their boxes. My credit card has only one charge for the kindle original purchase and which I have an email receipt for. I also have another receipt in my email for another kindle with a cost of 0.00. I'm wondering what my legal recourse is with this, and what I'm legally responsible for. Googling couldn't really find any information on this situation. It's very interesting.

UPDATE: I received a FOURTH Kindle today from Amazon. I dont know where they are coming from, but it's raining Kindle's.

Last edited by frostcyborg; 12-31-2009 at 01:42 PM. Reason: UPDATE
frostcyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostcyborg View Post
Interesting thing happened to me... I purchased a kindle 2 on dec. 21st. I had a large collection of ebooks and used to read on my iPhone via Stanza and used Calibre to organize my books. Since you can access the Calibre content server from the Kindle 2 browser if you set it up properly (which it is ) I decided to buy the Kindle as my eyes are becoming more and more fatigued the more I read on my phone. I paid for overnight shipping so I could receive it before my office closed up for the holidays. The next day I did not receive my kindle even though my estimated shipping date was the 22nd. I called CS and explained the situation. According to FedEx they never received the shipment/package, and Amazon couldn't find it either. The CS rep created a new order and I changed the shipping address to my home as no one would be in the office for the rest of the week. I did finally receive my Kindle on Dec. 24th and spent the rest of the weekend enjoying my new reader.

I arrive at work today and see in addition the Kindle I had in my laptop case, but TWO more kindles waiting for me at the front desk sealed in their boxes. My credit card has only one charge for the kindle original purchase and which I have an email receipt for. I also have another receipt in my email for another kindle with a cost of 0.00. I'm wondering what my legal recourse is with this, and what I'm legally responsible for. Googling couldn't really find any information on this situation. It's very interesting.
Wow, a surplus of Kindles! If I were in your situation, I would return the extra Kindles but let your conscience be your guide.

Congratulations on your Kindle purchase(s) and welcome to MobileRead!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
edercito
edercito began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 Wifi
Had a similar experience buying from Amazon, but it wasn't a Kindle (I think it was a backpack). The Post Office either misplaced or never received the package from Amazon. Contacted Amazon, and they sent another one. At the end I had two backpacks, with one of them, the "replacement", showing a $0.00 bill. I don't know about legal obligations, but I returned it because I felt (morally) obligated to do so.
edercito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Wow, a surplus of Kindles! If I were in your situation, I would return the extra Kindles but let your conscience be your guide.

Congratulations on your Kindle purchase(s) and welcome to MobileRead!
What Daffy said.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
frostcyborg
frostcyborg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.frostcyborg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.frostcyborg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I have to agree with you on the moral thing to do and I'll contact Amazon regarding it.

I hate temptation though as I found this on www.ftc.gov :
Quote:
"Unordered Merchandise
If you receive merchandise you didn’t order, federal law says you can consider it a gift. You can’t be forced to pay for the item or return it.

If you decide to keep the merchandise, you may want to send the seller a letter stating your intention, even though you’re not legally obligated to do so. Your letter may discourage the seller from sending you repeated bills, or it may clear up an error. It’s a good idea to send the letter by certified mail and keep the return receipt and a copy of the letter. These records will help you establish later, if necessary, that you didn’t order the merchandise."
Laws and morals... Seldom do they match
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Man is that ever true!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Man is that ever true!
As stated above you have no obligation to send them back to Amazon or even tell them about it. Though the right thing to do is tell them and return. Though to be honest I think you have more to loose by sending them back than not.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
squeaky
squeaky began at the beginning.

Device: none
You have a moral obligation to return one of them. Pay for the shipping yourself. The other is your reward for being "honest".
squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
troykm
Connoisseur
troykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
you could always donate them to a local charity. that way your moral compass is clean.
troykm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by troykm View Post
you could always donate them to a local charity. that way your moral compass is clean.
ummm........no.

The only logical, moral thing to do is to return the ones not charged or paid for.

How is this so not obvious?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaky View Post
You have a moral obligation to return one of them. Pay for the shipping yourself. The other is your reward for being "honest".
Hee-hee!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
crutnacker
Connoisseur
crutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-books

Device: None
AT and T did the same thing with me and iPhone. They didn't seem too concerned. I returned it figuring it would bite me in the butt if I didn't.
crutnacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #13
frostcyborg

I'm just irritated that I have to deal with shipping them back. They fixed it so I can print a shipping label, but they wouldn't even schedule to have UPS come pick them up. I have to drive to a UPS store now. I'm sitting here thinking I'm doing them such a huge favor, the least they could do is have the packages come picked up.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
Yeah you would imagine they'd send someone to pick them up at least, I mean there is a good chance that the "mix up" would have been overlooked, so props to you for doing the right thing. I'd probably sit there in a fog just staring at them for a few hours before I snapped out of it long enough to even attempt to make the right decision.
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:44 PM   #15
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
I have to agree with you on the moral thing to do and I'll contact Amazon regarding it.

I hate temptation though as I found this on www.ftc.gov :

Yeah... If they sent the extra two by mistake, that's their problem, legally. But you're absolutely right to arrange to send two back. It is the ethical thing to do.

I do understand that the temptation is there to just keep your mouth shut and keep them as I'd suffer from the same temptation. But doing the right thing, even when we don't have to is the hallmark of a mature individual. Good for you!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote