Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
MediaPost Publications - E-Readers : Birthing a Middle Child Gadget

http://www.mediapost.com/publication...art_aid=118447

Was just reading this on MediaPost. Interesting article,I was chuckling at the idea of the technophobe mother trying to "sell" the writer on a sep GPS unit.

For me personally,I do like having a dedicated reading device,and that's unlikely to change....(again the "Apple tablet" being mentioned...oy)...a friend who subscribes to MP sent this to me,and asked what I thought....I lost the email I was sending,but will repost it later here when I can figure out how to recover it...
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Interesting article, especially the part about forgoing new technology. Honestly even though I use computers everyday I did forgo mobile phones for many years, and when I had to actually use one, simple things like sending a message were slightly annoying and confusing because I had to follow a dodgy UI to get it done. Phones with Android or like the iPhone have already fixed that issue, and I bet older people could pick one of those up far easier than razr with crappy keyboard and UI.

So that let me experience what it must be like for a non tech person to first encounter a computer or some complicated device. Even the tiny things seem foreign and like a trial. Simple dedicated devices shine there, it's easy to teach an older relative to use a Kindle, I've done it a few times now, it's relatively intuitive. Part of that is because it doesn't do 100 things, it really focuses on it's purpose, so yeah there is definitely a place for dedicated reading devices.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert