Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 10-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Spinoza, Baruch: The Ethics HYPERLINKED, v1, 24 October 2009

The thing that stuck me most the first time I looked into The Ethics by Baruch Spinoza was his unusual writing style. To prove his points, he constantly refers the reader to other sections in his book, which often refer in turn to still other sections, et cetera. The entire book seems to be a kind of matrix that had been written neither forward nor backwards, but sideways. Reading the printed text is a chore that involves seemingly endless repetitive flipping between sections in order to follow his arguments.

Years ago, it occurred to me that Spinoza’s plan all along in writing his magnum opus was to wait until modern computers and hand-held e-readers were invented so he could properly hyperlink his work prior to publishing. Unfortunately, he died in 1766, a few years prior to the introduction of Windows computers, Macs, and Rocket eBooks and their descendants. After his death, someone — not realizing Spinoza’s intentions — went ahead and published The Ethics posthumously in 1677. Fortunately, I have now corrected that publisher’s mistake with this eBook edition..

This book contains well over a thousand hyper-links. When I first created the Word document on which this edition is based it took several months of intense work to complete. Now I offer this MOBI-formatted version to you, the lover of philosophy, free of charge and with no restrictions, as a labor of love.

NOTE 1: The following bibliographical details were provided by Patrica:

Author: Baruch [Benedict] Spinoza, 1632-1677
Title: Ethics [Ethica Ordine Geometrico Demonstrata]
Translated from the Latin by R. H. M. Elwes (1853-?]

Thank you, Patricia!

NOTE 2: This epub conversion from my original PRC file was done by Superlucky.

A big tip of the hat to you as well, Superlucky!
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Ethics - Benedict de Spinoza.epub (187.7 KB, 1248 views)

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-26-2009 at 10:52 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
Tullio
Tullio began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Tom, this is fantastic. Thank you!

The epub version works great on my iPhone but I have no idea how to read this on a desktop computer? What application should I use? (I'd prefer on Mac).
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Adobe Digital Editions (download from Adobe) is a good free ePub viewer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
I didn't know it was there. I'm glad the new posts brought it to my attention.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ethics, philosophy, spinoza