Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-05-2009, 02:36 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Report on new firmware?

Can anyone who attended yesterday's get-together in Paris give us a report on the new Gen3 firmware. Did it actually show up? Are there separate versions for ePub and Mobi? What are the new features?

We are all eagerly waiting to find out...
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:49 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can anyone who attended yesterday's get-together in Paris give us a report on the new Gen3 firmware. Did it actually show up? Are there separate versions for ePub and Mobi? What are the new features?

We are all eagerly waiting to find out...

seconded and thirded ......

sheesh it happened HOURS ago - where's the gen !!!??? (excuse the pun) ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2009, 03:19 AM   #3
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
OK, I'll try to give an overview.

The update that was available yesterday was for mobipocket. There will be from no on two separate releases: one for mobi and one for epub. They hope to be able to provide both of them at the same time on their website, but are reluctant to announce a release date because they've announced deadlines before and been unable to meet them (the delay has to do with some validation procedure from adobe for the epub version).

The new mobi firmware has two new features :
- folder support
- a 'flip-through' feature.

The folder support works as I imagined it would, you can navigate through a folder hierarchy and it supports muliple levels of nested folders. YGG said he would try to put 1500 books on his cybook so we'll soon know if there are limitations in the number of folders or books per folder.

The 'flip-throuh' feature (I don't know how to call it better) allows to turn pages in a book (or in the library) quickly: if you press the next (or previous) page button and hold, the pages keep turning one by one, at a rate of one page per second approx. Very cool in my opinion.

And finally, it the cybook seems slightly faster with this new firmware! The navigation in the menu is much faster, with the cursor moving almost immediately at keypress, and the word selection for dictionary lookup is also faster.
Also, it seems that page turn speed may have been increased but I'm not quite sure about that: it seems that when you first turn a page it takes the usual time, but if you turn one just after it's quicker. So for flicking through it might be quicker but for normal reading it might be the same.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:20 AM   #4
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you that is most interesting ....
Old 07-05-2009, 03:31 AM   #5
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Update on my previous post:

See also the discussion about the meetup (in English) on the French forum:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50232

Also:
- the delete button works;
- dictionaries apparently no longer need to be in the eBooks folder to work (I placed mine in a eBooks/Dicos folder on the SD card and it works perfectly).
Advert
Old 07-05-2009, 03:50 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you. Very useful.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:01 AM   #7
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
New firmware can be applied to older Cybooks? Or is there some limitations?

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:13 AM   #8
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Any changes to the way margins and header/footer are displayed?
Dedicated button for dictionary lookup?
Working links in pdfs?
Any new features?
Or the folder support is all they added? ( :frustration rising: )

Thank you.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:15 AM   #9
GeoffC

MODS - can you merge all the details about the new firmware into this thread - I've seen 2 or 3 other threads answering these questions ...
Old 07-05-2009, 05:43 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Reading while charging?
Page numbers?
Battery level while reading?

Those are features they said would be in the next firmware.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:48 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I don't think they've ever said "page numbers", have they? The others, yes, I agree.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:56 AM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't think they've ever said "page numbers", have they? The others, yes, I agree.
I think I read something somewhere, but I may be misremembering.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:10 AM   #13
chlorine
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
Any changes to the way margins and header/footer are displayed?
Dedicated button for dictionary lookup?
Not as far as I can tell.

Quote:
Working links in pdfs?
I don't have any pdf with links as far as I know, if you link to one I am willing to try it out.

Quote:
Any new features?
Or the folder support is all they added? ( :frustration rising: )
No other new features than the ones I cited (flip-through functionality and working delete button).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby
Reading while charging?
Page numbers?
Battery level while reading?
None of that as far as I can tell (but I may be missing something out so I'd ask for a counter check by somebody else who has the firmware).

Another thing that I think is new: the + and - buttons on the right now act as increase and decrease font size in mobi format (I don't think it was the case before).
Their working seems to be a bit erratic though.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:11 AM   #14
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
Not as far as I can tell.

I don't have any pdf with links as far as I know, if you link to one I am willing to try it out.

No other new features than the ones I cited (flip-through functionality and working delete button).

None of that as far as I can tell (but I may be missing something out so I'd ask for a counter check by somebody else who has the firmware).

Another thing that I think is new: the + and - buttons on the right now act as increase and decrease font size in mobi format (I don't think it was the case before).
Their working seems to be a bit erratic though.

that's an interesting development that would be useful ...
Old 07-05-2009, 06:59 AM   #15
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Does it work on 64MB Cybooks as well, and if not, do they plan to release an upgrade for those?
Working Delete button?
Why the plan to wait with releasing MOBI version at the same time as ePub version, if only ePub version is blocked by Adobe?
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote