Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #61
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Daithi, those are excellent (partial) truths.

I hear it again and again from my colleagues in Switzerland that the Kindle is "useless" to them since they cannot use the wireless feature. Obviously not right.
I would be a little concerned about Amazons reaction to this. While we know it can be done by having a separate Amazon account just for your Kindle that you fund with gift cards. I would also hate to see them close the "loop hole" although I'm not sure I see how they could know.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #62
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I have a new one that I need some help with because I haven't tried some of these conversions. I'm avoiding the whole "removing DRM thing" because I'm unsure of how much I can say and not run afoul of forum policy.

Partial Truth:

The Kindle is limited in the number of formats it can read.

Whole Truth:

While the Kindle reads a limited number of formats *natively*, nearly all of the currently available popular formats can be converted for use on the Kindle.

Note: This information can apply to most ebook readers though the formats in question and the tools used for conversion may differ.

Native Formats

.azw (the Kindle version of .mobi)
.azw1 (aka Topaz)
.txt
.mobi and .prc (unprotected MobiPocket = no DRM)
.aa and .aax (Audible.com audiobooks)
.mp3 (you know what those are)

May or may not need conversion

.html (simple .html files may be converted but if the extension is changed to .txt, it can be loaded directly onto the Kindle)
.jpeg (will work if placed in a special "screensavers" folder when creating custom screen savers, otherwise jpegs must be converted)

Need conversion by Amazon or other software

.doc (MS Word files)
.pdf (this is still and experimental conversion, if the document is heavy on charts, graphs and tables it won't turn out well but mostly text documents will be fine)
.jpeg
.gif
.png
.bmp
.zip (the zipped file itself is not converted but you can zip a bunch of documents together and send to Amazon for conversion)

Need conversion with other software (not through Amazon) - DRM free versions

.lit (MS Reader format)
.epub (an emerging new standard)
-er.pdb (eReader format, favored format at Fictionwise and eReader.com)
.mobi (some secured mobi files [DRM] can be read with the use of the Kindle's PID)

Cannot be converted (at this time)

.lrx (Sony's secured format)
Adobe Digital Editions

Now that you know what can be converted you need to know what tools to use. Here is a list of FREE software that every Kindle owner should have *if* you want to venture outside of the Kindle store or want to create your own Kindle ready documents. You won't need all of them and some features overlap, but you should experiment to see which ones you like working with best.

MobiPocket Creator and MobiPocket Reader (Windows only)
Calibre (Windows, Mac and Linux)
Stanza (Windows and Mac)
KindlePID and KindleFIX (Windows and Mac)
Mobiperl (Windows and Mac)
Mobi2Mobi Command line (Windows and Mac)
Mobi2Mobi GUI (Windows only)

Learn about other types of ebook conversion software by visting our E-book_conversion wiki.

Okay, what have I left out? What is incorrect or not quite correct?

Edited:
Added eReader format
Added jpeg to the "needs to be converted" list
Added jpeg screensaver info
Added the qualifier that "simple .html" files can be used if the extension is changed to .txt
Added list of software package

Edit: in italics

Last edited by daffy4u; 02-15-2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: a whole lotta changes
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 01:14 PM   #63
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Myth

The Kindle II is available in pink

Truth

The Kindle II is available only in white, one could purchase colored skins , paint your Kindle with nail polish, or be Stephen King to have a pink Kindle

Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Daffy, the one thing you left out is eReader. DRM eReader can be converted to be read on the Kindle. Other than that, it sounds and looks good. Well done!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #65
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post
At the risk of once again veering this thread off topic...

Having had a night to sleep on it, I have come to the conclusion that I behaved badly last night.

I still feel that JSWolf was being at least slightly trollish, but that did not justify my postings, which were at best unwise.

I apologize to all, and promise to behave better in future.

I'll probably end up buying a Kindle 2, myself. I look forward to owning and using the Kindle along with my Sony 505 (which I love ).

I enjoy a large variety of genres - and post uploads quite often.

What do you enjoy reading?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #66
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'll probably end up buying a Kindle 2, myself. I look forward to owning and using the Kindle along with my Sony 505 (which I love ).

I enjoy a large variety of genres - and post uploads quite often.

What do you enjoy reading?

Don
Mostly SciFi and Fantasy, though I also enjoy the occasional Clancy and Grisham.

I'm also a big fan of Hemingway and Faulkner. I read a lot of non-fiction too, mostly on music and musicians.

For me one the biggest attractions for the Kindle is the wireless connection to Amazon. Before I bought my Kindle I bought 99% of my DTBs from Amazon anyways...
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #67
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Mostly SciFi and Fantasy, though I also enjoy the occasional Clancy and Grisham.

I'm also a big fan of Hemingway and Faulkner. I read a lot of non-fiction too, mostly on music and musicians.

For me one the biggest attractions for the Kindle is the wireless connection to Amazon. Before I bought my Kindle I bought 99% of my DTBs from Amazon anyways...
Unfortunately, wireless is out for me, since I'm currently living outside North America. I want the option of buying and reading mobi/.prc books and I've gravitated toward a Kindle2 purchase, so that explains my interest in the Kindle.

I absolutely love Faulkner's work. I also read quite a lot of noir fiction, Sci-Fi and Fantasy, in addition to literary works.

If you're not yet aware of it, MobileRead has a large number (over 8,000) of books available in various popular formats. You'll find a lot of genre coverage here of totally free ebooks - titles in the public domain and Creative Commons. They've all been 'hand-assembled.'

Well, I don't want to hijack the thread, so back to Kindle.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #68
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Daffy, I think your section on what needs to be converted is excellent. Unfortunately, I don't know which image formats the Kindle will display in the Pictures folder without converion, so I can't answer your question.

I didn't know you could change an .htm file to .txt file and it wouldn't need conversion. Very cool.

-----------
New subject:
Along the lines of Daffy not mentioning the de-DRM tools, I wasn't sure if we should mention folder support in regards to the Kindle. The process of creating folder support on the Kindle seems a little complicated and there are no guarantees that firmware upgrades wouldn't trash your files. Anyway, I'll leave the "folders" topic up to someone else.

-----------
Didn't care for Faulker, but I've only read The Sound and the Fury. Then again I did like Faulkner more than Virginia Woolf and James Joyce. Hemingway on the other hand is the man!

Last edited by Daithi; 02-12-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Didn't want to create another post.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #69
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Daffy, I think your section on what needs to be converted is excellent. Unfortunately, I don't know which image formats the Kindle will display in the Pictures folder without converion, so I can't answer your question.!
I've been doing some testing and I can't access the images without conversion. Jpegs work only when turning them into screensavers and it may be the Kindle doing some internal conversion but I don't know, so I'm changing that section.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #70
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
If you're not yet aware of it, MobileRead has a large number (over 8,000) of books available in various popular formats. You'll find a lot of genre coverage here of totally free ebooks - titles in the public domain and Creative Commons. They've all been 'hand-assembled.'

Well, I don't want to hijack the thread, so back to Kindle.

Don
Thanks for the info! I'll check them out!
Old 02-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #71
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Daffy, the one thing you left out is eReader. DRM eReader can be converted to be read on the Kindle. Other than that, it sounds and looks good. Well done!
Thanks, it's been added!
Old 02-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #72
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I have a new one that I need some help with because I haven't tried some of these conversions. I'm avoiding the whole "removing DRM thing" because I'm unsure of how much I can say and not run afoul of forum policy.

Partial Truth:

The Kindle is limited in the number of formats it can read.

Whole Truth:

While the Kindle reads a limited number of formats *natively*, nearly all of the currently available popular formats can be converted for use on the Kindle.

Native Formats

.azw (the Kindle version of .mobi)
.azw1 (aka Topaz)
.txt
.mobi and .prc (unprotected MobiPocket = no DRM)
.aa and .aax (Audible.com audiobooks)
.mp3 (you know what those are)

May or may not need conversion

.html (simple .html files may be converted but if the extension is changed to .txt, it can be loaded directly onto the Kindle)
.jpeg (will work if placed in a special "screensavers" folder when creating custom screen savers, otherwise jpegs must be converted)

Need conversion by Amazon or other software

.doc (MS Word files)
.pdf (this is still and experimental conversion, if the document is heavy on charts, graphs and tables it won't turn out well but mostly text documents will be fine)
.jpeg
.gif
.png
.bmp
.zip (the zipped file itself is not converted but you can zip a bunch of documents together and send to Amazon for conversion)

Need conversion with other software (not through Amazon) - DRM free versions

.lit (MS Reader format)
.epub (an emerging new standard)
-er.pdb (eReader format, favored format at Fictionwise and eReader.com)
.mobi (some secured mobi files [DRM] can be read with the use of the Kindle's PID)

Cannot be converted (at this time)

.lrx (Sony's secured format)
Adobe Digital Editions

Now that you know what can be converted you need to know what tools to use. Here is a list of FREE software that every Kindle owner should have *if* you want to venture outside of the Kindle store or want to create your own Kindle ready documents. You won't need all of them and some features overlap, but you should experiment to see which ones you like working with best.

MobiPocket Creator and MobiPocket Reader (Windows only)
Calibre (Windows, Mac and Linux)
Stanza (Windows and Mac)
KindlePID and KindleFIX (Windows and Mac)
Mobiperl (Windows and Mac)
Mobi2Mobi Command line (Windows and Mac)
Mobi2Mobi GUI (Windows only)

Okay, what have I left out? What is incorrect or not quite correct?

Edited:
Added eReader format
Added jpeg to the "needs to be converted" list
Added jpeg screensaver info
Added the qualifier that "simple .html" files can be used if the extension is changed to .txt
Added list of software package
You're correct but this is insignificant since it applies to almost all (if not all) of the eink readers.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #73
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
You're correct but this is insignificant since it applies to almost all (maybe all) of the eink readers.
It is not insignificant since one of the reasons I see people site is that they don't want the Kindle because it doesn't read as many formats as other readers. I've had to correct the misconception a number of times. Just because it can also apply to other readers does not make it *less* of a partial truth.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #74
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Thanks for the info! I'll check them out!
And you can download them directly to your Kindle via our Mobi download guide, available as one of the options on the ebbok link on the blue bar. This contains a regularly-updated index of our mobi/prc books, with links to an immediate download.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #75
nelamvr6
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
And you can download them directly to your Kindle via our Mobi download guide, available as one of the options on the ebbok link on the blue bar. This contains a regularly-updated index of our mobi/prc books, with links to an immediate download.

Schweet! This place just gets better and better!

Tags
iphone, ipod, kindle, kindle myths