Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-14-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
cubisticus
Connoisseur
cubisticus began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Looking for a CyBook?

First of all – let me say how I appreciate this forum. It’s a great resource of information! Thank you for sharing your knowledge! :

Second: I’m really interested in an e-ink-device. Considering price, weight, battery life, and file-formats, I’m thinking about the lbook (or bebook) or the CyBook. I prefer the latter because of the Mobi-Format (and, getting it in the UK or via justread, it’s cheaper). I'm from Germany, so perhaps the Sony PRS-505 or 700 is also an option (for the next future). But, of course, I have some questions about the devices It’s, of course, about the readability and getting stuff on it.

I would like to read some classics from “Projekt Gutenberg” (the German version) or Zeno.org, and they are just plain text. So I think there should be no problems formatting them in a correct manner (I tried it via Mobipocket Reader and it was quite okay on the computer screen). But I would also like to read some really old things from Google's booksearch. These are scans and they are PDF. I knew about PDF and the problems on small e-ink-screens. But the books are not that big, about DIN A5, sometimes smaller. Sometimes up to 50 MB (but I can split them). With Acrobat Pro I could crop the white-space. I’ve done this for a file, I’ve attached (it's from Google).

Is anyone here, who could load these file in his or hers Cybook (or Bebook or Sony Reader) and post a Screenshot? So I could decide for myself about the readability?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mueller_Elemente_1.pdf (137.7 KB, 357 views)
cubisticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Taken from a Cybook, ISO 1600 so not much quality, 3 photos, photos 1 and 2 file not changed, 3 file cropped to the limits of the text:

Photo 1 - portrait, zoom fit width
Photo 2 - landscape, zoom fit width
Photo 3 - portrait, zoom fit width

With the Cybook you will be well served.

Best regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	621.6 KB
ID:	17035   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	612.7 KB
ID:	17036   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	578.0 KB
ID:	17037  
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #3
cubisticus
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
With the Cybook you will be well served.
Yes, seems to be very readable! Thank you very much! Now I only have to convince my wife ...
Old 10-18-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Nice font!
I wished Sony would have easy font switch.

Can you have the heading in another font than the text?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:35 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Those are scanned pages - ie pictures - there is no "font" as far as the device is concerned. It's just showing an image.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2008, 07:38 AM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Sony - normal & rotated pages
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1739.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	17168   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1740.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	17169   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1741.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	17170  
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
cubisticus
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Sony - normal & rotated pages
Also very readable ... . Difficult decision (but "emotionally", I think, I prefer the Cybook and it's form factor). But also: thanks a lot!