Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2017, 09:11 AM   #1
Edgrt
Edgrt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Kepub or epub for battery life?

I was reading epubs all the time and my battery can hold ~80 hours before need to charge. I tried out kepub format and its very nice since it got some extra features. Im wondering if kepub drains more battery than epub or maybe kepubs are optimised and even better to use than other formats?
Edgrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:28 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If anything, I'd expect that kepubs would use more CPU and hence more battery. The reason is that when a kepub is first opened, the word count for each chapter is calculated and stored. Then the stats displayed while reading are also calculated.

But, I really doubt the difference will be noticeable.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
With ePub you can get better text layout and closer line spacing for less page turns. Less page turns, less battery usage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
... Less page turns, less battery usage.
Is this true? I thought for eink, the energy went into flipping the pixels/capsules, so I'm guessing size wouldn't matter?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #5
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Is this true? I thought for eink, the energy went into flipping the pixels/capsules, so I'm guessing size wouldn't matter?
Yes, so if you have more text on screen, either by smaller fonts or closer line spacing or less margins, you'll have to refresh the screen less often. Thus your battery will have a longer life. When a screen is displayed, e-ink doesn't use power.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Yes, so if you have more text on screen, either by smaller fonts or closer line spacing or less margins, you'll have to refresh the screen less often. Thus your battery will have a longer life. When a screen is displayed, e-ink doesn't use power.
Yes that (and Jon's post) makes sense. For some reason I thought he was talking about going to a larger screen. My mistake. Sorry for the confusion.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:31 PM   #7
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
On the other hand, the significantly longer delay of page turns in epub suggests that the software requires more processor time, and the processor activity might drain battery more than a few extra page flips. Regardless, Light, Wifi, and simply time will be your primary battery drains. I suspect the difference between epub/kepub, (or a few, even twice as many, additional page turns) will be very difficult to measure.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote