Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #16
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Even the subtitle, which I never noticed before, is "An Ambiguous Utopia."
Subtle.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:49 PM   #17
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I think that this is a good example of "soft" science fiction. Personally, I feel that it is inferior to The Left Hand of Darkness which so effectively explores gender stereotypes and has a more interestingly developed plot and (IMHO) characters who are much more sympathetic.

Still The Dispossessed does analyse two opposing political philosophies in a science-fiction framework with some skill and with very fine writing. It's just that I find its plot too static and too long but that's a matter of taste.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2014, 06:17 AM   #18
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I think that this is a good example of "soft" science fiction. Personally, I feel that it is inferior to The Left Hand of Darkness which so effectively explores gender stereotypes and has a more interestingly developed plot and (IMHO) characters who are much more sympathetic.
I agree. As much as I enjoyed reading The Dispossessed, I still think The Left Hand of Darkness is better. I also thoroughly enjoyed The Word for World is Forest.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:58 PM   #19
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I really liked the book. At first I was wary of a perfect utopia but it was quite nuanced with problems in each society. I don't feel that Anarres is anywhere near realistic and I could easily see such a scenario devolving quickly, but nevertheless I admit that it's the first communistic scenario I've ever imagined that somewhat enchanted me, and it made me feel that if I lived there I too might actually want to live like that.

Quote:
Even the subtitle, which I never noticed before, is "An Ambiguous Utopia."
I think I read somewhere that that wasn't originally a subtitle. After it started to be referred to as such, it was then decided to officially include it.

Quote:
...Samuel Delany's Triton which was written in response to Le Guin's book:
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2008/08/triton
This looks interesting!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #20
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
There is also a short story about Odo, "The Day Before the Revolution."
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #21
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I've read it. Much better than The Dispossessed.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote