Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
Inferno
Connoisseur
Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablets
Unable to access a few books after upgrade to 1.44

After the upgrade to Calibre 2.44 I found out three titles were not accessible.

I found this out while running winrar with the library shut down. These books were accessible at some point in the last few months as I had not had the problem prior to this backup and my last backup was a couple of months ago. Also, two of the titles had been saved from Calibre to my "library" directory that I use to populate my sd card for my tablet (I have a specific folder structure I prefer for my tablet as I like to read things in a particular order)

When I look up the books in Calibre the file formats are there. Looking in the calibre folder (just looking not changing anything) I see the three formats that were originally there... epub, mobi and lit.

Each format gave an error when clicked on to open in Calibre.

When I tried to add a "good" epub copy of the book it would not add to the record. The .lit copy worked fine.

I added the book from my "library" directory which had been saved with all metadata as a new record and it was fine.

I try to delete the book from Calibre using remove book and get an error
error(5, 'CreateFile', 'Access is denied')

The details show the following between the "==="
===================
calibre 1.44 [64bit] isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Windows-8-6.2.9200 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '8', '6.2.9200')
Python 2.7.5
Windows: ('8', '6.2.9200', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\delete.py", line 392, in delete_books
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\delete.py", line 366, in do_library_delete
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 359, in delete_books_by_id
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 57, in call_func_with_lock
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1523, in remove_books
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 1404, in windows_check_if_files_in_use
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\filenames.py", line 348, in __init__
error: (5, 'CreateFile', 'Access is denied.')
===================

I am rather anal or OCD about my library lol and looking for a way to fix this without going into the file system.

Any suggestions?
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Check the hardware. Your hd may be about to fail. Or the filesystem is corrupt.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Check the hardware. Your hd may be about to fail. Or the filesystem is corrupt.

The hardware does not need to be old or heavily used.

My 1T external USB/eSATA 'Backup drive' has developed un-accessable/unrepairable folders (Right where I put the last backup of my Library) . The drive is disconnected between use (lots longer than it really should )

Neither Windows nor Mint can repair the filesystem. 'Hardware fails'
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
Inferno
Connoisseur
Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok. I will check the drive. I'm currently trying to move the library. It failed with the error
++++++++++
Move library from E:\toadd to H:\CalibreLib
Python function terminated unexpectedly
[(u'E:\\toadd\\joan holub\\Zeus and the Thunderbolt of Doom (21390)\\Zeus and the Thunderbolt of Doom - Joan Holub.epub', u'H:\\CalibreLib\\Joan Holub\\Zeus and the Thunderbolt of Doom (21390)\\Zeus and the Thunderbolt of Doom - Joan Holub.epub', "[Errno 13] Permission denied: u'E:\\\\toadd\\\\joan holub\\\\Zeus and the Thunderbolt of Doom (21390)\\\\Zeus and the Thunderbolt of Doom - Joan Holub.epub'")] (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 132, in main
File "site.py", line 109, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 195, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\library\move.py", line 21, in move_library
File "site-packages\calibre\db\legacy.py", line 917, in <lambda>
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 57, in call_func_with_lock
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1829, in move_library_to
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 1644, in move_library_to
File "shutil.py", line 208, in copytree
shutil.Error: [(u'E:\\toadd\\joan holub\\Zeus and the Thunderbolt of Doom (21390)\\Zeus and the Thunderbolt of Doom - Joan Holub.epub', u'H:\\CalibreLib\\Joan Holub\\Zeus and the Thunderbolt of Doom (21390)\\Zeus and the Thunderbolt of Doom - Joan Holub.epub', "[Errno 13] Permission denied: u'E:\\\\toadd\\\\joan holub\\\\Zeus and the Thunderbolt of Doom (21390)\\\\Zeus and the Thunderbolt of Doom - Joan Holub.epub'")]
+++++++++++

I have over 70,000 books in this library and was cleaning things up before adding another 20 000 lol.

Wondering if I am near a limit on library size? I'm using Windows 8.1 pro and Calibre 64 1.44.

guess I'll run a diagnostic on the drive.

Darn Had just cleaned up authors on way too many to make it trivial.

Thank you for the pointer.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are nowhere near any limit on the library size, except perhaps that some operations are more sluggish in a large library. Like edit metadata.

I have a large main library for fiction, and a much smaller for incoming books that needs to have metadata normalized. Now and then I go through all books in the incoming library, and fix them and add them to the main library. That way I don't ever have to edit any books in the main library.
Advert
Old 07-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Those are permission denied errors, see http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....n-denied-error
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
Inferno
Connoisseur

What would cause a permission denied error on a book that worked before?

I fully checked my drives with manufacturers drive test software and there are no errors other than being due for a defrag.

I know that one of the books giving an error was accessed previously because it was in my "android named" library and had my quality tag filled in.

The book was not open in another program. My user has admin rights and I am the only user on my pc.

When I am reading a book using the calibre built in reader is there any situation where exiting via a "shutdown" will leave the book "open" to calibre? I know I had a book or three open when we had a power outage last week.

Last edited by Inferno; 07-16-2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: closed before completing
Old 07-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Inferno

Are you able to copy the format files with windows explorer? If not what error do you get.

If you can copy try
  1. eyeball compare the permissions on a 'good book' folder and files and a 'bad book' folder & files, adjust for any differences.
  2. if there are no apparent differences in 1) then give Everyone full control of one of the 'bad book' folders and contents.
If that doesn't 'fix it' then it would suggest its not a 'real' permissions issue, windows has been known to misreport the cause of errors.

Are you able to open the epubs with WinRAR - they're a rebadged zip. If not then that would suggest the file system is corrupt. In which case you should probably try running chkdsk.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-16-2014 at 06:37 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #9
Adoby
Handy Elephant

One thing that you might try is to copy the whole library, using the file manager, not calibre, to a new folder and then try to open the copied library in calibre.

It is possible that there will be an error while you copy the library. That means that there is an error in the filesystem. You should fix it using the disk utilities in Windows.

Google "how do I fix errors on file system in Windows 8" for more information. (I am not a Windows user.)

Edit: Or do what BR suggests...
Old 07-17-2014, 10:07 PM   #10
Inferno
Connoisseur

I got fed up and installed treesize pro. When looking at the affected files I find they have no owner. I added a registry change to "take ownership" and "took ownership" of the affected files and was able to change owner.

I find a disturbing thing though. I have over the years installed hard drives from previous systems when I upgraded. I also swap around external hard drives between systems. I find a large number of my book files (both in calibre and otherwise) have the owner set as a uuid eg. S-1-5-21--472696101--620528091--608506725-1027) This is just plain weird. Has anyone else had problems with files suddenly having no owner? I have to wonder how this happens lol.

On another note I am confused about the Posts number shown on here. I had not logged in for a few months and find my number of posts reset down to 3 lol. It wasn't a huge number but was over 100 lol. Wondering if anyone else noticed changes like that.

Thank you all for the help. It was disturbing to have the errors when doing a rar backup of my library and not to be able to access books. While I have many backups of the library it is a pain to have to "roll back" and lose all the updates to the tags etc.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:06 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes I have seen files with a SID as the owner - I think it might happen if the files are created by User Fred and then User Fred gets deleted or changed - something like that.

This a bit old but I don't think much has changed How to understand the anatomy of security identifiers

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-17-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #12
Inferno
Connoisseur

Actually, on microsoft forums it seems that it is a common problem when using a dual boot. If it was user Fred, owner would be Fred. When it was user Fred on a vista machine, and you upgrade and have no user fredvista anymore, then it will give a uuid.

What bugs me is how "noone" can own a file.

Now I'm just plain wondering if I should "take ownership" of the files or just keep with my multiple backups as I have been doing. I usually do a backup rar before any large addition to my library as well as after the import.

Now I'm not feeling so foolish about keeping the multiple backups. I know I can go back and if the problem was there three months ago I still be able to recover.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator

What bugs me is that there's no 'opt-out' of NTFS security a'la Windows UAC; i.e you can't tell it to RACkofF.

I fully appreciate its necessity in a corporate environment. But for most consumer environments its way over the top. If you don't want your missus to see your porn, then keep it in your pocket on a flash stick :lol:

But you've confirmed what I've suspected that some of the permission issues are actually ownership issues - here's some patches to add Take Ownership of a file/folder from the windows shell context menu Take Ownership - Windows 7 Help Forums

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-18-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:38 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
What bugs me is that there's no 'opt-out' of NTFS security a'la Windows UAC; i.e you can't tell it to RACkofF.
That's bad. Though not as bad as the flashbacks it caused.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrupted, delete book, problem