Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you circumvent geographical restrictions SOLELY to save money?
Yes 131 67.18%
No 53 27.18%
Other (explain in thread, please) 11 5.64%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #61
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
The reason you can create multiple addresses in Amazon regardless of where your credit card is billed is that Amazon subscribes to the notion that if you happen to be travelling in the US, you should be entitled to purchase items from the US store etc...

You don't actually need separate accounts, just a different address to indicate you are currently in a different country.
Just to be clear, you're saying that you have to use a different address if you want to register with various Amazon sites?

Like I wrote earlier I'm registered with Amazon sites in the US, UK, France, Germany and (which I forgot) Japan and I'm registered with identical details on all of them. I've never actually shopped while travelling in either country, nor have I even been to all of them, so I don't really get the travelling part of your post either....
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #62
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
However, I might think a little differently if the book is clearly published in Australia for the following reason. A book published in Australia is likely to use Australian English and it might not be practical for an author to expect the Australian publisher to produce the same book for all markets.
You surely don't expect a book by an American author to be re-edited to use Australian English? As far as I know, books are published as is, and not "translated" to different versions of English for different countries. Just a different publisher usually is taking over.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #63
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
There are certainly books which have been "translated" from UK to US English. I can't remember which books I've encountered (as my memory is seriously defective), but I know I've bought US editions of books originally published in the UK a few times by mistake and had to re-buy them in the correct version.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #64
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
So "any circumventing activity" covers using amazon.in when you're in the US, and "device" covers region-free DVD players.
I didn't know that DVD regions were covered by the DMCA. If region-agnostic players are sold, shouldn't that be illegal, too, then?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #65
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan diVega View Post
There are certainly books which have been "translated" from UK to US English. I can't remember which books I've encountered (as my memory is seriously defective), but I know I've bought US editions of books originally published in the UK a few times by mistake and had to re-buy them in the correct version.
maybe the occasional reference book, but obviously not fiction.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #66
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Some popular fiction gets "translated" from UK to US. I think it's pretty damn silly myself, but it's not really uncommon. Harry Potter for example.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #67
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Your assumption is wrong. Many current fiction titles are slightly different in their US/UK editions, and this practice was even more common in the past.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #68
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You surely don't expect a book by an American author to be re-edited to use Australian English? As far as I know, books are published as is, and not "translated" to different versions of English for different countries. Just a different publisher usually is taking over.
Some of them definitely get 'translated' from the UK to US and vice versa. I think Carol O'Connell's books do and so do Benedict Jacka's books (he has blogged about the proofreading he does for the "translation"). It's completely unnecessary IMO, but do you know, no one asked me???
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #69
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Fiction definitely does get changed sometimes.

As DiapDealer pointed out, Harry Potter is probably the most famous example of changes between English versions. The changes to that series range from changing the title of The Philosopher's Stone, to changing references of football to soccer, to changing words like shan't to won't, to dropping the U on words like colour.

Another famous example is The Great Gatsby that's had a range of changes as well, from spelling, to the way quotations are made, to the use of hypens and commas and capitalization. There's even some phrase changes between the two versions.

I'm sure some Googling would turn up other examples if you're curious.

Last edited by K. Molen; 09-08-2013 at 06:30 PM.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #70
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
This might be chauvinistic since I live in the US but I suspect that a book written purely for British or Australian readers might be difficult for US readers to understand without translation. Possibly vice versa but the 'exporting' of US movies & TV shows would, I think, make a book written for US readers not too difficult to understand by British/Australian. I'm talking about words like lorry, bonnet, binders (for cars), queue (or loading cargo), and things like that. Knock somebody up has a totally different meaning in Britain than it does in the US. (Some of this might be obsolete but then it's been a long time & I'm probably out of touch by now. Maybe out of my mind.)
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #71
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Context still applies similarly when it comes to UK vs US linguistic conventions. So while I agree that someone might get tripped up the first time they encounter any of these words and phrases that the cultures use differently, it doesn't exactly take a herculean effort to get a handle on them when reading.

I understand why they might do it, but after a lifetime of reading a variety of authors, I'm fluent enough in UK-ese to wish they wouldn't.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #72
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
This might be chauvinistic since I live in the US but I suspect that a book written purely for British or Australian readers might be difficult for US readers to understand without translation. Possibly vice versa but the 'exporting' of US movies & TV shows would, I think, make a book written for US readers not too difficult to understand by British/Australian. I'm talking about words like lorry, bonnet, binders (for cars), queue (or loading cargo), and things like that. Knock somebody up has a totally different meaning in Britain than it does in the US. (Some of this might be obsolete but then it's been a long time & I'm probably out of touch by now. Maybe out of my mind.)

It's really not that difficult. I used to read British procedurals that hadn't been "translated" and honestly, they are just words. Every reader out there is used to words. Even before the days of the internet I could figured out the meanings or close enough that it wasn't a problem. It never bothered me and only added to the charm.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #73
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Some of them definitely get 'translated' from the UK to US and vice versa.
The same (sometimes) happens between "Dutch Dutch" and "Belgian Dutch", even though the biggest difference between the two languages is the usage and pronounciation of loan words.

The Dutch are not scared of loan words. Nowadays, we have so many (especially English ones), that people stare at you when you use the "proper" Dutch word. Over here, nobody says "verwerkingseenheid" if you mean a "processor". (The computer part, I mean.) When talking about violence during soccer games, nobody says "voetbalvandaal"; everybody just says "hooligan".

The Belgians have much more "proper Dutch" replacements for loan words, and if they don't, they often pronounce the word as it would have been pronounced if it had been a Dutch word.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-08-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #74
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I definitely would expect it if the rights were sold to an Australian publisher. If the an American publisher has global rights and the book is electronic, then I would not expect it. And it's in those cases where I would find it difficult to justify a higher price in the Australian market. And I would treat the case exactly the same as being able to personally import a paperback from a different country.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #75
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan diVega View Post
Just to be clear, you're saying that you have to use a different address if you want to register with various Amazon sites?

Like I wrote earlier I'm registered with Amazon sites in the US, UK, France, Germany and (which I forgot) Japan and I'm registered with identical details on all of them. I've never actually shopped while travelling in either country, nor have I even been to all of them, so I don't really get the travelling part of your post either....
Sorry - I'm forgetting that there are cases where different countries use a totally different Amazon site and this might work differently. For Australians, we use Amazon.com. There is a setting on your account that allows you to change your current country/address. I believe it exists so that when you are travelling in the US you are able to simply change your country settings and purchase US ebooks. It is not against any policy to do this, but because it's simply a setting you can change there is nothing that prevents you doing it whether you are travelling or not.

I've never tried doing anything with other Amazon sites so I don't if it's the same process.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote