Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
jnjitkoff
jnjitkoff shares his or her toysjnjitkoff shares his or her toysjnjitkoff shares his or her toysjnjitkoff shares his or her toysjnjitkoff shares his or her toysjnjitkoff shares his or her toysjnjitkoff shares his or her toysjnjitkoff shares his or her toysjnjitkoff shares his or her toysjnjitkoff shares his or her toysjnjitkoff shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle
Lightbulb Hiding the status bar? (for a home automation project)

Greetings folks, apologies if this has been asked before, but:

I'm working on a home automation system, and am using kindles as the controllers (using a WAF to show a centralized web ui designed for e-ink displays—see below).

Is there any way to either temporarily (or permanently) hide the top black status bar?
These stay plugged in all the time, so network status and power aren't critical.

Thanks for any advice!

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle.png
Views:	1075
Size:	548.8 KB
ID:	102692

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-30-2017 at 11:28 AM.
jnjitkoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
See my Kindle Touch management bundle post...

All files. and instructions are on there.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Nice picture. Specially for you, (not only) titlebar switch commands:
Code:
# lipc-set-prop com.lab126.pillow disableEnablePillow disable
# lipc-set-prop com.lab126.pillow disableEnablePillow enable
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thats so much less fun!

and much more elegant

NOTE: that also will nerf the search, menu and stuff

Hmm.. let me screenie that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_116.png
Views:	443
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	102693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_117.png
Views:	391
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	102694  

Last edited by twobob; 03-09-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
twobob

wmctrl -r L:C_N:titleBar_ID:system -e '0,0,0,600,1'
wmctrl -r L:C_N:titleBar_ID:system -e '0,0,0,600,1'
(twice since Awesome is a bit funny that way)

and to restore: wmctrl -r L:C_N:titleBar_ID:system -e '0,0,0,600,30'

gives us: (pictured) in your case Eurekas solution is probably tidiest and least effort as it is native.

However. you asked to hide the status bar... so I am answering that request
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_118.png
Views:	340
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	102695  

Last edited by twobob; 03-09-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Advert
Old 03-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
jnjitkoff
jnjitkoff shares his or her toysjnjitkoff shares his or her toysjnjitkoff shares his or her toysjnjitkoff shares his or her toysjnjitkoff shares his or her toysjnjitkoff shares his or her toysjnjitkoff shares his or her toysjnjitkoff shares his or her toysjnjitkoff shares his or her toysjnjitkoff shares his or her toysjnjitkoff shares his or her toys

Thank you both for the quick response! I'll give Eureka's a try since it a bit simpler to start with (and works in my case since I hide the toolbar too).

Since I've got your ear, the only other thing I was trying to do was override the action when you press the menu button at the bottom of the screen. Any clean way to intercept that?
Old 03-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjitkoff View Post
Thank you both for the quick response! I'll give Eureka's a try since it a bit simpler to start with (and works in my case since I hide the toolbar too).

Since I've got your ear, the only other thing I was trying to do was override the action when you press the menu button at the bottom of the screen. Any clean way to intercept that?
No "clean" way that I know of. It's all hard-coded in /etc/xdg/awesome/rc.lua, but since you're completely customizing the Kindle anyway, you can just as well hack that file, too

BTW, interesting project, and nice-looking, too! I'm sure some folks here would appreciate the source code
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
eureka
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjitkoff View Post

Do you mean hardware Home button? It's handled by Awesome window manager, check /etc/xdg/awesome/rc.lua.

You can intercept X Window System event of Home button press (and do not pass it further to Awesome) taking baf's untouchable.c as example.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
jnjitkoff

Excellent. I'll have a go at that.

Updated with the new working state and hidden status bar:

Name:	KindleController.png
Views:	435
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	102704

If anyone is interested, here is the code for my WAF:

automaton.zip

To be fair, it is a dead-simple time-delayed forwarder that just loads a web page (the same I'd load on a phone or computer). What I really wanted was the purest canvas to draw on. All the heavy lifting for the home control is handled by http://route.io. I'm happy to explain further if anyone is interested.

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
twobob

untouchable would be my choice too.

Eureka and Ixtab have come up with the goods there.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
@jnjitkoff: You are not using the latest firmware, right? 5.0 or 5.1 maybe, althought 5.0.x is best for wafs. 5.1.x has some memory management crap and 5.3 does not even use waf (mesquite, is that how it's spelled?)
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #12
eureka

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
5.3 does not even use waf (mesquite, is that how it's spelled?)
mesquite subsystem is just the renamed waf subsystem.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
mesquite subsystem is just the renamed waf subsystem.
So technically, a waf would work unchanged as long as mesquite is used instead on wafapp in the database?
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #14
eureka

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
So technically, a waf would work unchanged as long as mesquite is used instead on wafapp in the database?
It should.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #15
twobob

seems like a bulk rename script would be a long way then if that is indeed the case.