Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
xxdsb
xxdsb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxdsb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxdsb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxdsb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxdsb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxdsb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxdsb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxdsb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxdsb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxdsb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxdsb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle touch
Kindle update error 006 help

I have a kindle touch running firmware 5.1.2 and I'm trying to upgrade to 5.3.2 but I keep getting an update error 006 while installing. I have a completely working kindle so I don't want to have to go through the debricking method.

I'd like to try uninstalling all my hacks and try updating to see if that works but I don't have the original files for the screensaver hack and jailbreak hack so I cant just uninstall them. Is there a way to remove these hacks without going through the debricking method? If not, If I download a new screensaver and jailbreak hack will it replace the old hacks?

Thanks!
xxdsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdsb View Post
I have a kindle touch running firmware 5.1.2 and I'm trying to upgrade to 5.3.2 but I keep getting an update error 006 while installing. I have a completely working kindle so I don't want to have to go through the debricking method.

I'd like to try uninstalling all my hacks and try updating to see if that works but I don't have the original files for the screensaver hack and jailbreak hack so I cant just uninstall them. Is there a way to remove these hacks without going through the debricking method? If not, If I download a new screensaver and jailbreak hack will it replace the old hacks?

Thanks!
There is a text box at the upper right with a button labeled: Search.
Try it sometime.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...94&postcount=2
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
xxdsb
xxdsb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxdsb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxdsb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxdsb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxdsb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxdsb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxdsb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxdsb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxdsb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxdsb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxdsb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have done searches and I've been all over the site and I can't find any solution other than going through the debricking method. I'm not asking what the 006 error is. I'm asking if there's a way to remove the hacks without having the uninstall.bin files. And if there's no way, will installing a new jailbreak and screensaver hack replace the old hacks.

Thanks

Last edited by xxdsb; 02-14-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdsb View Post
I'm not asking what the 006 error is.

Thanks
If you knew what error 006 was, you could fix it.

A fix that does not require un-installing anything, I really suggest you read the link I gave you.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
xxdsb

I don't understand the post. So I have U006: General failure (for official updates, generally a checksum error). It says to check the logs to find out what I installed but I'm not sure where I enter ;debugOn => ;dumpMessages => ;debugOff. I tried entering it in the search bar of the kindle but nothing shows up.

When i get the log working, what do I do with that information?
Advert
Old 02-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
xxdsb

Okay I finally found out how to get the logs. When I have the log information what do I do with it?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I sent you a PM. my best advice was in it.

re the logs. read them for clues on a failure reason "Checksum" or "md5sum" fail... or something. I forget.

a clean flash would be another option.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
xxdsb

twobob I read your message. I don't have the JBPATCH.

I got the log files finally but I don't know how to read them. What could be causing my problems? I couldn't insert all_system_logs_as_of_Thu_Feb_14_22.10.37_GMT-05.00_2013 because it exceeds the file size.

Last edited by xxdsb; 02-15-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

politely might I suggest 1st you remove the wpa supplicant log.
ALL THOSE LOGS

It reveals entirely too much data about your home/roaming network And is not helpful to this cause.

Looking in all netlog now.
Hmm I would just take them ALL down. not helpful, too personal.

Wrong logs.

Will have a head scratch BUT: Like I said before:

I think... IIRC I ran an md5sum against everything ON my machine versus the md5sum checklist-list embedded in the update (baf posted it somewhere on here)

I found 3 or 4 files that I had amended. However. I still got a U006 even after all that. (possible custom modules, I forget what the exact issue was)

And this really is the last time I will type this: simply cleaning the main partition with a fresh set of data (using imx_gui and fastboot I think) sorted it out for me.

I lost no personal documents in the process.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by twobob; 02-15-2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: removed network details from post since logs are now down
Old 02-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
xxdsb

Okay twobob I will try cleaning the main partition. Thanks for letting me know to take the logs down, I didn't think it had anything important on there
Old 02-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
twobob

yeah. nothing majorly personal, but If I knew your ¨area¨ I could extrapolate your kindles route around it with very little effort.

The SSID lists are a giveaway.

Better to just keep private info private.

Best of luck with the flashing. be EXTRA, DOUBLE, TRIPLE, CERTAIN you have the stuff right before you flash to the main partition.

DOUBLE CERTAIN.

would be a real nightmare to be in the debricking thread tomorrow.

cheers
Old 02-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #12
Phat59
Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm having the exact same problem. I hacked the Touch about a year ago using an MP3 file on an earlier firmware version. I disabled the hack long ago, and tried to update the firmware today and got error 006. Amazon support couldn't get it to update. It's just out of its 1 year warranty so they only offered a $30 coupon for a Paperwhite. Did you get yours to finally update? Any advice?
Phat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #13
xxdsb

I attempted to fix it but the process was way over my head. I just called amazon and got a replacement.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat59 View Post
I'm having the exact same problem. I hacked the Touch about a year ago using an MP3 file on an earlier firmware version. I disabled the hack long ago, and tried to update the firmware today and got error 006. Amazon support couldn't get it to update. It's just out of its 1 year warranty so they only offered a $30 coupon for a Paperwhite. Did you get yours to finally update? Any advice?
Use the new LiveCD to re-install the factory firmware.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #15
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat59 View Post
you "disabled" the hack how?

IIRC that was the first JB vector. was there not an "uninstaller" provided at that time?

Also... is this the ONLY modification you ever made.

Seems a bit unlikely that you Jailbroke the device and then did nothing else. What would be the point?

So... yeah.. list of mods.

OR

Obviously: the easy answer (That we give again and again) is to reflash the rootfs with a tool. this would fix that issue. I should know. I did it myself.

HTH

Tags
hacks, kindle touch, update