Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
What would you like in the next gen Cybook (Gen4)

(HW changes)
  • Scroll wheel (navigation in lockup mode and indexes is quite painfull in current form)
  • Replace the current 5-way button with something less crappy – eg like the ones on the Nokia N95
  • More buttons to turn pages (current solution is quite painful)
  • Remove the 2.5mm jack for sound (sound is not a feature that anyone would use and the current sound quality crap, and 2.5mm is a strange choice)
  • Outlet for power for reading lights (to be used either by a Mighty Bright style light or a custom Lightwedge).
  • More juice – the current version is not slow, but it could be snappier
  • Faster screen updates
  • Slightly larger screen, 7” (but same size of the unit)
  • Support for SDHC
  • Support for SD SIDO so that WiFi would be possible for those paying extra
  • Improve build quality

Last edited by Prospect; 01-18-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #2
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
Wasn't there talk of a larger-sized (A4?) Cybook? One aimed at the business market, iirc. I haven't been following things too closely, but I would very much like to have one that size (well, letter-sized, actually, but I'd take an A4) to be able to read PDFs. I have many PDFs that are not re-scaleable (they are just .tiffs) so a full-sized screen would be perfect for reading them.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2008, 02:07 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How much would you be willing to pay for such a unit? Virtually all the cost of an eInk device is in the screen; for the foreseeable future such a device would cost well over $1000; probably over $2000. Would you pay that?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:45 AM   #4
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio717 View Post
Wasn't there talk of a larger-sized (A4?) Cybook? One aimed at the business market, iirc.
That would not be the next generation of Cybook, but something entirely different.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
IreneDelse
Groupie
IreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 & Opus
I'm hoping for Wifi in the next gen of Cybook...
IreneDelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Bookeen is still working on this gen of the Cybook. So starting on another device would be silly at the moment.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Bookeen is still working on this gen of the Cybook. So starting on another device would be silly at the moment.
Well, if they want to compete with the market, they better start thinking about Gen4 right now.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
All I want right now is a Cybook that will keep my bookmarks, has improved navigation and file organization, handles PDF files better (tagging & reflowing would be excellent), and will let me read my library books. I hate to think Bookeen would lose focus on the Gen3 because they are starting to work on Gen4.

Why is WIFI such a big deal for these? This is a book reader, not a pocket pc, palm pilot, UMPC, tablet. I like the keep-it-simple-stupid principle....the more features that get added to a book reader, the more the focus and limited support gets spread over a bunch of non-core features. Get the primary function working well first.

Last edited by ProfJulie; 01-22-2008 at 09:34 AM.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:35 AM   #9
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Well, if they want to compete with the market, they better start thinking about Gen4 right now.
If they want to stay and compete they'll -first- have to start thinking about their support structure & their firmware.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:48 AM   #10
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaapjan View Post
If they want to stay and compete they'll -first- have to start thinking about their support structure & their firmware.
Not arguing here. They will have to do both.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #11
Prospect
Other

I agree. In order to stay alive Bookeen would need to focus on patches and communications.

But it is interesting to see what other Cybook users is missing in gen3 and input for the next generation has to be given while the blueprints are still at the table.

For the sake of clarity: DEAR BOOKEEN, IF YOUR READ THIS: FOCUS ON GEN3 UNTIL YOU HAVE IT ALL SOLVED ;-)

Last edited by Prospect; 01-22-2008 at 11:59 AM. Reason: typos
Old 01-25-2008, 08:02 AM   #12
sebastien
Enthusiast
sebastien began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The device is Linux, so a serial/console port with access to the boot prompt with an option to boot from an SD card would be ideal. That would be great for 3rd party development and making sure that we don't brick the device by accident.

Might as well open source their code too and let the community help debug the device ;-)

Seb
sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:57 AM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I don't believe Bookeen can do much now about our hardware wishes. The device was engineered by the Asian maker, Bookeen is mainly a software developper for it and of course distributor. Everyone can dream but if you want to be pragmatic, state software requests, you'll have better chances of seeing something done... they have their ears eyes trained on us.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:09 AM   #14
Prospect
Other

Somebody should definitely at some point make the device to be branded and sold as Cybook Gen4. Not necessarily the same vendor as made the Gen3.

In general I think that the size, weight and functionality of the Gen3 should be continued. Touch screen would be great but not at the cost of double prize or weight.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #15
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
I don't believe Bookeen can do much now about our hardware wishes.
Thats not really true. The device itself is not the same like the other devices produced by the manufacturer. So they have some say in that. The question is, how much do they have to spend on producing and engineering the advanced hardware. And for now i think they have to at least sell several thousands of units before such change can happen.

Tags
bookeen, cybook, gen4