Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
Lightbulb ePub Validator

I created a PHP webapp that uses the java file epubcheck-3.0.1.jar to validate ePubs.

Why did I create this?
  • I hate command line tools
  • Uploading a file every time for validation takes time since the process repeats itself several times per ePub.
  • The pagina-epubchecker doesn't work on my PC for some reason.
  • Experience :P

I offer this tool free for anyone to use, I also welcome any feedback you might have and bug report.

Unfortunately my hosting is blocking the exec command so the app basically does not have permissions to write and delete files, it's part of keeping your material safe and protected.
You can use a local xampp server or if you have a domain where you can allow exec command I would be happy if you could host it there.

To download this tool: http://odedta.com/projects/epubcheck/epubcheck.zip
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:10 PM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Java is something avoided by a number of people as being the number one vector for malware, so if it goes slowly, that might be why. I put it on only one computer in my shop for a particular program, but try to avoid it and particularly avoid connecting it up to a browser.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2014, 06:02 AM   #3
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

I don't see how that applies here... epubcheck is trusted and, well, I trust myself not infecting my own PC with malware, besides, it's all open-source...
Old 04-19-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
epubcheck requires java, as I recall.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #5
odedta
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
epubcheck requires java, as I recall.
I have been using Java for years now and I don't have any malware. Thanks for the input anyway.
Advert
Old 05-31-2014, 06:20 AM   #6
odedta
Addict

Anyone feel like hosting this app? my hosting services does not allow the use of Java on shared environments.

http://odedta.com/projects/epubcheck/epubcheck.zip
Old 05-31-2014, 08:15 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Why not just use the validator on the IDPF? That is essentially also epubcheck? That is online and works fine.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
odedta
Addict

The output is more detailed in my version in some cases.

Also, you can validate individual files like ncx, opf etc
Old 05-31-2014, 08:33 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You can simply make a good wiki page on our wiki that describes the product features and how to use it etc and then attach the file. (so long as the file isn't huge)

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 05-31-2014 at 08:35 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:35 AM   #10
odedta
Addict

Alright, that's a good idea. Thanks!