Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Adding 1/2 star rating

Hi;

How do I add 1/2 star ratings to my metadata? I like to rate my books the same as Amazon, e.g. 3.5 stars, but I can't figure out how to do this with Calibre.

TIA!
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
You don't.
I believe its just a whole number star rating.

Not really sure why you would want to copy Amazons star rating, unless it's just for reference Books like many things are mostly subjective, so its YOUR rating thats important.

I suppose you could get an idea on the book via Amazons rating, but you could then also miss out on books because you put too much stock in that rating and end up not reading that book.

I find it best to just rate books as you read them, and not worry about others opinions of them.

You could always create a custom column and have your own rating system using numbers I imagine, and copy Amazons rating that way if its of importance to you
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
Hi;

How do I add 1/2 star ratings to my metadata? I like to rate my books the same as Amazon, e.g. 3.5 stars, but I can't figure out how to do this with Calibre.

TIA!
You could create a new custom column called Amazon Ratings which takes floating point numbers. The steps are:
-Preferences
-Add your own columns
-Add custom column
-type in the heading
-under 'column type ' choose 'floating point numbers'
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitthis View Post
You don't.
I believe its just a whole number star rating.

Not really sure why you would want to copy Amazons star rating, unless it's just for reference Books like many things are mostly subjective, so its YOUR rating thats important.

I suppose you could get an idea on the book via Amazons rating, but you could then also miss out on books because you put too much stock in that rating and end up not reading that book.

I find it best to just rate books as you read them, and not worry about others opinions of them.
On the contrary, I'm very interested in what others think of a book or product. If I see 200 reviews that trash it, and a dozen that like it, that's often enough for me to take a pass on it, UNLESS the subject is compelling enough to me.

Quote:
You could always create a custom column and have your own rating system using numbers I imagine, and copy Amazons rating that way if its of importance to you
Thanks to you (and Victoria!) for the suggestion.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
On the contrary, I'm very interested in what others think of a book or product. If I see 200 reviews that trash it, and a dozen that like it, that's often enough for me to take a pass on it, UNLESS the subject is compelling enough to me....
Me too - I always read the reviews for books and other products. I make up my own mind, but find the reviews very helpful on whether to buy or not.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just out of interest, are you going to have a column with your own ratings too?
So you can look back and see what you thought of a book you read.
Or sort on star rating, so you can then look for similar books.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
VelvetElvis
Addict

Quote:
Just out of interest, are you going to have a column with your own ratings too?
So you can look back and see what you thought of a book you read.
Or sort on star rating, so you can then look for similar books.
No, I simply wanted to mimic Amazon's rating in the existing Ratings column, for future reference. Right now, I waffle between rating a 3.5 star Amazon review as a 3 or 4 stars in Calibre.

It's not important enough for me to make my own column, but IMHO, it would be a nice future feature. A 1/2 star icon, and the ability to add ratings in .5 increments shouldn't be too difficult a change.... if there was enough interest.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
There is quite an interesting thread on the Goodreads.com forums about this topic.
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...at=html&page=1

Goodreads have chosen not to do it, and state some of their reasons why in the thread. Basically it comes down to psychology of choices and that Netflix apparently tried it and found they got less reviews from users who thought that the number of extra options they now had to choose between (from 5 to 10) made them not be bothered to rate at all.

Personally I would be in the "like to have half stars" camp too. But in reality I really just want to have the option of a "3.5" and a "4.5" - I wouldn't ever use 0.5, 1.5 or 2.5.

Since 0 is unreviewed that means the minimum you can give a book is 1 star. I rarely do that because to me it implies the book has not one single redeeming feature - it is the "worst of the worst". It has happened, but rarely for me. So the normal "book was poor" rating I will give is 2 stars.

5 stars is a book I thought was absolutely outstanding. So that just leaves me 3 stars and 4 stars to fit every other book I read into. So 3 stars became "it was ok, a few things bugged me", and 4 stars is "really good, but not an all time favourite". The numbers themselves don't mean anything of course, but a 3.5 would allow me to differentiate the gap between them.

However as Calibre doesn't support it, and neither does Goodreads, I live without it and spend more time reading instead of fretting about it. The most time I spend with ratings is "correcting" a rating after metadata download due to the rounding/averaging - that a book with a 3.98 rating ends up as 3 stars instead of 4 is something I feel compelled to "correct"...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
transmitthis
Addict

@kiwidude - sounds like you diddled yourself out of a star, anyway here'e my though process when a come to rate a book

* - Didn't enjoy it probably not even finished (keep only for others)
** - Readable but not worth a reread, trashy filler
*** - A Good book, most of my ratings
**** - Very good, Interesting and will read again.
***** - Outstanding Book

would love to hear others views
* -
** -
*** -
**** -
***** -
Easy copy past...
Old 01-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@transmitthis - yeah pretty much it is a scale issue on my part. In the same way that 5 stars is "best of the best", reserving 1 star for "worst of the worst" as well as using 2 stars for "pretty rubbish" is perhaps a luxury a 5 point scale can't afford. Fundamentally though my ratings really are not that different to yours - it is just that I find that nearly everything I read falls into 3 or 4 stars

EDIT: Actually I should add, that I do agree with Goodreads/Netflix that the whole more choice is harder philosphy. For instance, some would say by "wanting" a 3.5/4.5 that really I am asking for a 1-7 based system. But thinking of it as 1-7 would probably freak me out. Whereas what if it was just a 3 star rating?

* Rubbish
** Good
*** Outstanding

I think that would do me just fine to be brutally honest. For me more granularity comes into play only when you start comparing one book against another - I liked book X a bit more than book Y, but not enough to put book X up there with book Z. And for that there is no real end to the madness methinks.

As I said above - I've "adapted" to just having the 5 stars for rating books myself

Last edited by kiwidude; 01-28-2012 at 11:47 AM.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:49 PM   #11
berend
berend began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX
Hi, sorry if I am needlessly bumping an old thread. I'd also like half stars or just a decimal rating system. Let me explain why.

Firstly, I more or less agree with transmitthis' idea of the stars. For me also, one star means a book sucked and I probably didn't finish it. But my problem is, I buy a lot of e-books and read most of them. Since about a year I have started rating each book I read, immediately after I finished (or abandoned) it. I now rated 155 out of 467 e-books I have stored in calibre:
5 stars: 32 books
4 stars: 74 books
3 stars: 39 books
2 stars: 6 books
1 star: 4 books (of which I did not complete 3)
The problem is the 4 star group is getting pretty large, and I am losing track of which authors in that group I prefer most. If I compare two recent books I read in the 4 star group, I can easily say which of the two I liked best. But 6 months and 50 books later? - I forget. It would help me after comparing to give the better one a slightly higher rating and the less good one a slightly lower one.
berend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:46 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Maybe you could add a custom column that allows 0.0, 0.5, 1.0, 1.5 etc, and rather than its value you could display a different column icon for each value with appropriate stars and half stars.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-31-2014 at 06:52 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #13
MiniMouse
Groupie
MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Well, there will always be a big time delay because I'm not living in the US! And there could be some communication difficulties too because I'm not a native speaker!
Device: Sony PRS-T3S
Quote:
* - Didn't enjoy it probably not even finished (keep only for others)
** - Readable but not worth a reread, trashy filler
*** - A Good book, most of my ratings
**** - Very good, Interesting and will read again.
***** - Outstanding Book
I have pretty much the same rating. Since I read a lot of fanfiction (with not finishing all stories, short and long stories AND a lot of them in my library), I made me two extra simple Yes/No columns where I can add 'read' and 'complety read'.

So my rating starts with zero

no star - don't even open it again
* - boring, tough as leather
** - okay
*** - good
**** - Very good
***** - Outstanding

But I have the same problem as @berend the stories in the 4 rating category are getting more and more and I think I will start to make an extra rating column only for my 4 star rating to give some points in between them.

Mini
MiniMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:40 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Underneath the skirts:ratings are 0,2,4,6,8,10

dealing with 1/2 Stars (display) might be an more difficult issue, than exposing a decimal (show as 'score') number
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:46 AM   #15
MiniMouse
Groupie
MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Well, there will always be a big time delay because I'm not living in the US! And there could be some communication difficulties too because I'm not a native speaker!
Device: Sony PRS-T3S
This is for everyone who wants a 1/2 rating for 3+ and 4+ because sure I did. AND so I created one

So, what do you need...

1. Download the icons I made (rating_icons.zip)
2. Create a new custom column over 'Preferences -> (Interface) Add your own columns' (picture01)
3. Go to 'Preferences -> Look and Feel -> Column icons' and add the rules and icons for every star rating (picture02 and picture03)

DONE!

As you can see in the example picture (picture04) the stars are a bit bigger than the original rating stars but otherwise you wouldn't really see the 1/2 star.

Mini

Edit: I added a smaller rating version, if you want your stars to look more like the default ones (rating_icons_2 - picture and zip)

Edit_part2: I added a 1+ and 2+ and a 0star icon for stories like 'don't ever read again' for both versions. In the bigger icon zip you find 3 icons for the 0star (I couldn't really decide, so I let you decide for yourself). Of course if you use all icons you have to extant your values in your custom column and your rules (just in case you forgot that).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture01.png
Views:	467
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	126947   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture02.png
Views:	525
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	126948   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture03.png
Views:	459
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	126949   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture04.png
Views:	437
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	126994   Click image for larger version

Name:	rating_icons_2.png
Views:	387
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	126995  
Attached Files
File Type: zip rating_icons_big.zip (154.9 KB, 232 views)
File Type: zip rating_icons_small.zip (99.0 KB, 244 views)

Last edited by MiniMouse; 08-18-2014 at 12:41 PM.
MiniMouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rating, stars