Notices

Old 05-28-2015, 06:16 AM   #1
unabatedshagie
Enthusiast
unabatedshagie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
One book I have isn't being sorted in the correct order

And I can't figure out why?

When I sort my books by author The Wolf of Wall Street is being sorted where I would expect it. However, when I sort by series the book is being displayed at the top of the list above the A's.

I've tried renaming the offending books metadata (series and author) and when I do the book sorts into the correct position. When I change the data back to what it should be the sort order gets messed up again.

Anyone have any ideas what the issue might be or how I might be able to fix it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15_05_28 - 11_04_55.png
Views:	216
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	138731   Click image for larger version

Name:	15_05_28 - 11_03_49.png
Views:	187
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	138732   Click image for larger version

Name:	15_05_28 - 11_02_49.png
Views:	179
Size:	398.7 KB
ID:	138733   Click image for larger version

Name:	15_05_28 - 11_03_05.png
Views:	171
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	138734   Click image for larger version

Name:	15_05_28 - 11_02_29.png
Views:	181
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	138735   Click image for larger version

Name:	15_05_28 - 11_03_21.png
Views:	208
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	138736  
unabatedshagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Sorts are biased by previous sort columns.
Since both do not have a Series, the sort order (of blank Series) will tend to from what was before that.

There is a tweak that might also come into play after certain actions that cause resorts
[CODE][/ID: maximum_resort_levels

Set the maximum number of sort 'levels' that calibre will use to resort the
library after certain operations such as searches or device insertion. Each
sort level adds a performance penalty. If the database is large (thousands of
books) the penalty might be noticeable. If you are not concerned about multi-
level sorts, and if you are seeing a slowdown, reduce the value of this tweak.CODE]
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
unabatedshagie
Enthusiast

Unfortunately, that's not the problem. If it were I'd expect more than just the one book to be in the wrong order.

I've tried modifying that setting, but it made no difference.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are complaining about Author Sorting, right?
Old 05-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
unabatedshagie
Enthusiast

Yeah.

If I sort by the author(s) column then The Wolf of Wall Street is ordered correctly. If I then sort by Series all the other books without a series are in the correct order except for The Wolf of Wall Street which for some reason is always being sorted at the top of the list.

And I can't figure out why that is the only book which isn't being sorted correctly. I can't see anything in the metadata for the book which would cause it to be sorted incorrectly.
Advert
Old 05-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #6
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've never been certain how stable the sort orders are when you have a primary and a secondary sort order

If you sort by Title and then by Series is it correct?

I like to use the View Manager Plug in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	138809  
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
unabatedshagie
Enthusiast

No sorting by title then series doesn't solve it. The Wolf of Wall Street still is being sorted at the top.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Run the Quality check Plugin Checks (Various Metadata section ones that will test your Metadata problem areas)

There has to be something hinky with one of the values.

Clues
In the Tag browser, the Series name appears twice (obviously it should not, so there is a non-visible difference. A NBSP or a soft-hyphen. Barely visible (to some of us ) regional accented characters (The QC also has tests for non-ASCII)

IMHO That one PI is a 'must have' (and use ) if you want near perfect metadata (cuz, you sure won't de able to download it from any place )