Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
pmcnz
Enthusiast
pmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: PRS-650, Kindle DXG
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and PDFs - question

Hi,
would somone be able to give me feedback about reading PDFs on the Samsung 8.9 tablet - is the screen size large enough to make it easy to read PDFs?
Thanks
Paul
pmcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
PrincessV
PrincessV is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 650, Nook 1st Edition, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 & a couple PDF's on it. For your question, I used Adobe Reader, PDF to GO, Polaris Office, Amazon Kindle App, and Sony Reader App.

The two PDF's I used were "Olga's Nutrional Info" & "Android Updated: Here's How Guide".

All App allowed zooming in & out. There was a little hesitation when zooming with the Amazaon Kindle App. On the "Android Update" doc, the Sony & Kindle App formated the document into to pages, sorta like reading a magazine. I think this made it easier to navigate.

Each of the Apps flowed easily from horizontal to veritcal with little effort. I need to mention that both docs had white backgrounds & I had to turn down the screen brightness. The screen size was not a problem for me with the ability to zoom in & out.

I did not try to edit or make notes, so I can't speak to that.

Hope this helps!
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 04:12 AM   #3
pmcnz
Enthusiast
pmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned off

PrincessV,
thanks for the information and the extensive testing of the various PDF readers. I went and viewed the PDFs on my laptop so this gives me a good assessment about the useability of the Samsung with PDFs. I'm particularly interested in this size table because of the form factor and weight.
One further question: how much zooming was needed to read the PDFs, i.e. 0%, 10%, 20%?
Thanks
Paul
Old 01-14-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
PrincessV
PrincessV is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 650, Nook 1st Edition, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
Have to keep in mind the difference reading ability. I read glasses. So I zoomed to a size that was comfortable for me. I don't think the size of the tablet will be the factor. I think it will be the strength of your eyesight! But, I'd say I zoomed approximately 20%.

The other thing is these files came up perfectly! There was a little "refresh", if you will. But nothing like reading PDF's on a device years ago (fuzzy, crooked & just plain ugly!).

As far as size & form factor, the 8.9 is perfect for me. It's not heavy, thick or bulky. The documents initially adjusted to the screen size when I first pulled up the document.

If you can, check it out a local store that has wifi. Most resturants list menus in PDF format. Pull one down & check it out.

I am happy with the Samsung Galaxy tab 8.9. (I have the AT&T 4G version).

Hope this helps!
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:29 AM   #5
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
For PDF you can try Mantano reader. It has crop feature, so you can enlarge the pdf document to get rid of the margin. it will remember your choice for the subsequent pages, so no need to resize every page.
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
lost101
Enthusiast
lost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: HTC Hero
If you want to do the cropping of PDFs yourself, there is Briss.
Briss a simple cross-platform application for cropping PDF files. http://briss.sourceforge.net/
lost101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:01 AM   #7
pmcnz
Enthusiast

Thanks to everyone for this information, especially as regards PDF reading.
I also found a lot of feedback on the Samsung 8.9 at the Bestbuy website from the customer reviews, which is helpful as lots of people are using it for an ereader.
Now I'm just trying to get over my aversion to the high price in New Zealand
Regards
Paul
Old 01-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
tequila0341
Enthusiast
tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9, Kobo Glo HD
Just to second all the comments above. i use EZPDF on the 8.9 Tab and it works very well for me. Lots of options for viewing, including a very handy column view, where double-tapping on a column of text zooms in so you can focus on just that particular column, and swiping automatically brings up the next column.

I read PDFs all the time on the Tab - it's one of the main reasons I abandoned my Kindle. The Tab is an excellent PDF reader.
tequila0341 is offline   Reply With Quote