Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
Veulen
Veulen began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Sim

For a long time I have an entourage edge. I wanted to use the device on the road to read my mail. Reading is fine, but not mail. This is because I need to make use of a SIM card. I tried to plug a dongle into it. Unfortunately, this does not work.

Unfortunately, Entourage support never answered my question, but maybe a smart person here knows the trick. How do I get my entourage so that it uses SIM? Or is this an impossible mission?

(I'm a Dutch user of the entourage)
Veulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
guttrhead
guttrhead began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket edge
Probably impossible. the PE isn't meant to work with a sim card like a cellphone does. There aren't any USB modems that work on android that I know of either. You could try to do a wifi tether with your phone, but if your phone has the ability to do that, it can probably read email already.
guttrhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
Veulen
Veulen began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Hi, thanks for your quick response. I have a separate sim card designed for mobile internet use (and not usable in a mobile phone). But I understand from your comment that the sim lock on the Edge will not operate, and I may be looking for a (international) wifi subscription.
Veulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Before Ermine, some USB modems did work: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=usb+modem. However, I think Ermine broke the USB modem support as I remember reading several users lament the loss in functionality.

As for the SIM card, enTourage definitely never had hardware support for it as there's no internal cellular circuitry. External USB modems have their own SIM card in them (I believe). The enTourage knowledgebase article on the SIM card slot indicated there might eventually be some software support (presumably to store contacts, etc.), but nothing ever came of it.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
If you have an Android phone a read of this thread might be of interest.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145835

Also, depending where you are there might be WiFi hotspots you can use.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert